BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Trans failsafe prog

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bluebee 
#1 ·
Before writing this post I search the code and every post the car has the same problem as mine, take forever to accelerate. A buddy of mine says it is stuck in "limb mode" and I need a new battery. I took the car to Advance Auto Parts and tested the battery, alternator, starter and the battery was good and alternator and starter are excellent. My friend says "Of course the battery is good bc your alternator charges it but it does not have enough juice to power your car"

Lol sorry for all that but what do you think?

#2 ·
Pull the codes and reset the tranny. An ODBII will read some tranny codes. You'll need a GT-1, INPA or equivalent scanner to read all codes and reset the tranny. Sometimes this is triggered by an electrical issue or a wet sensor. Other times, it is a failing tranny. Good luck.

#3 ·
In the most general terms:
-If your car starts, battery good
-If you dont have a Red battery light on the dash your alternator is good.

The transmission will go into fail safe when the system voltage drops too low, like a bad alternator and your just running on battery. But if you dont have the above conditions, it sounds like a transmission issue.

#4 ·
For testing the alt & bat, go here:
- Complete DIY for how to test a BMW battery & alternator (1)

For trans failsafe solutions, go here:
- How people tested & resolved transmission "Trans Failsafe Program", aka "Limp Mode" (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16)

Both found simply by /keyword F3 in the bestlinks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.