BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M Sport or Not?

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  3ismagic# 
#1 ·
Trying to finalize the configuration on my 2013 328i and am struggling with the decision of whether to opt for M Sport or not. Aesthetically, it's a no brainer. M sport hands down. But functionally?

Does anyone have M Sport and regret it? Does anyone not have it and wish they did? Do you find the ride too harsh? Tires too costly? Bolsters wear too quickly?

I'm only getting a 328i so I don't want to be seen as a poseur or anything, but I do really like the look of the M Sport and the rims it affords. I also like the sport seats and M Sport steering wheel.

It's a tough choice! Something else I'm factoring in is that I'm planning to (keyword being planning to) keep this car for at least 6-7 years.

I appreciate any input.

#2 ·
Are you going Sedan or Coupe?

I like my M-sport car. Functionality wise, the only difference over a sport is the shifter. I dont think there is anything else it contributes. If you are going sedan, I'm not sure. Check the f30 forum as that is the new generation.

#5 ·
#7 ·
Without a question, yes, get M-Sport.

Have you not considered waiting a few months and ordering an F32?

#9 ·
Fortunately I also live in the south and roads around here are also, for the most part, pretty smooth. I think I am going to go with the M Sport though if only for the combo of the aesthetics and interior details.

DB, I have considered waiting on the 4 series but I'm a little worried about residuals since right now the 328i coupe has such a high one combined with the $2250 in incentives. That's a substantial enough difference that for me, it could make it a do or don't kind of deal. If the 4 comes out with a 57% residual and no incentives, assuming it'll have a higher base price than the current 3 coupe, then it'll probably be out of my range. Well, I should say out of my range unless I was to order a stripper. It is a tough call though! I wonder if they'll offer a 420, 428, and 435 (or whatever equivalent)?

#10 ·
If you like the seats then I would get the M sport package.

#11 ·
I think it's more functional than aesthetic. The M-sport gives you seats, lower profile wheel and tires and suspension tweaks. I wouldn't poo-poo it on a 328. The car handles better. The seats are much better, IMHO, than BMW basic seats. I have no regrets, except I needed winter tires in the northeast.

#13 ·
there is no suspension change on the coupe.
rwd coupe has sport suspension regardless of the package.
awd coupe has the regular suspension regardless of package.

#12 ·
My apologies, I thought the E92 had two tiers of sport packages not just M-Sport.

OP, yes, get it.

If you are worried about ride quality, stick to the 18" wheels which m-sport comes with, dont upgrade further. Around 2010/2011, BMW changed the sport shocks to be more smoother riding so if you are reading reviews, keep that in mind.

#14 ·
So I finally settled on a configuration and decided to go for the M Sport. It'll be Alpine White with Premium and M Sport, saddle brown interior with dark burl, and sat. radio.

Now here's to hoping they can find a car in the right production status and reroute it to their dealership in a timely manner. The wait will probably suck.

#15 · (Edited)
back when i got my '11 e92 it was the year they did the LCI which IMO had a front end that was heinous, so I basically was faced with either getting m-sport and being an m-poseur or having an ugly car. having the m-sport didn't turn out as bad as I thought, it's actually pretty nice with the m steering wheel, ///m logos here and there like on the door sills and stuff. but i probably would not have gotten it if the LCI front end didnt look so terrible. also keep in mind if you have an x-drive it will not have the upgraded suspension...

also i ended up getting the performance diffuser because the stock m-sport diffuser looks extremely cheap and jetta-like, basically every single cheap "sporty" car that has been made since 2010 (across all models, german or not) has that exact same diffuser.

#16 ·
Trying to finalize the configuration on my 2013 328i and am struggling with the decision of whether to opt for M Sport or not. Aesthetically, it's a no brainer. M sport hands down. But functionally?

Does anyone have M Sport and regret it? Does anyone not have it and wish they did? Do you find the ride too harsh? Tires too costly? Bolsters wear too quickly?

I'm only getting a 328i so I don't want to be seen as a poseur or anything, but I do really like the look of the M Sport and the rims it affords. I also like the sport seats and M Sport steering wheel.

It's a tough choice! Something else I'm factoring in is that I'm planning to (keyword being planning to) keep this car for at least 6-7 years.

I appreciate any input.
I thought all E92's came with the ZSP suspension. IN that case, I would think M-sport wouldn't degrade the ride much.

The bolsters on our last BMW did show signs of wear. Basically, the only part of the interior that showed wear. I've found that leather holds up superbly, except on bolsters. We had similar issues with an Acura sedan too - so it is not just a BMW issue.

If I were you, I would probably go for it. It sounds like you want the features it adds (wanting a car that looks great does not make you a poseur - that is part of what makes the ownership experience fun). Its so expensive and difficult to make mods later. Why not just get what you want now?

And, btw, I did not get any kind of sport package and never regretted it. But, I did get every last feature I wanted, and have been very happy with the car as a result.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.