BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Considering an M3 Sedan

5K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  tbiggs27 
#1 ·
Hello all,

What say you about this vehicle? I am just window shopping now, but I really like the thought of an M3 sedan. It seems more reasonable than an M5. Worth noting is that it is a CPO car. Take a look and see what you think! I could probably negotiate it down a bit and I'd also be trading in my '01 330i for at least $3,000 (hopefully).

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/i...nything&sort_type=make_modelASC&cardist=5405"

#2 ·
Nice M3, I thought about this one too, it's close by. As far as price, it's ok. Around 900 over. Check out car gurus, can find where the good deals are on there.

#3 ·
Thanks Jfox. I figured one could negotiate down about $500-$1,000 on it. The CPO is extra appealing. Thank you for the tip on Car Gurus. Is it safe to say that a mechanic wouldn't be needed to look it over since it is a CPO vehicle? Or is it prudent to have one anyway?

#4 ·
I like it. CPO is worth quite a bit, lot of good miles left on that car.

#7 ·
The car looks to be in good condition. Low miles for the year and loaded except for DCT. However I would want to have a BMW dealer or Indy inspect it. Call it "peace of mind".

Do you drive your current 3-series in the winter? If so, you may want to keep it for the bad weather vs. investing in a winter rim/tire setup.

#8 ·
Negotiate hard, M3 sedan are tough for the dealers to sell. Its a very small market, compared to your typical bmw sold, very few people want M3's and of those even fewer want an M3 4 door.

You should be able to get a great deal on it!

Good luck, it's a great ride!

#9 ·
very few people want M3's and of those even fewer want an M3 4 door.

You should be able to get a great deal on it!

Good luck, it's a great ride!
Say what :confused:...........where did you get this intel from? Many people want M3's but there are some who don't want to spend M3 money. And the E90 holds value well considering it's no longer in production. OP, if you study long you'll study wrong. Depending on the area this car shouldn't last too long. Good luck with your decision.................Phil

#11 · (Edited)
I would double check with BMW about the "CPO" status, especially from a non-dealer and perhaps the broker is just using the term in combination with the warranty info.

I was searching for M3's earlier this year and never came across a CPO vehicle.

EDIT: It appears there a lot of 2011's and some 2010/2009 in CPO status right now. Interesting as I saw none available 6-7 months ago.

#15 ·
You know why? Because they cant get it CPO if the original warranty is out. Therefore, an 08 has to have CPO now if not there is no way to gain CPO. 09 starting to run out factory warranty due to 09 probably came in end of 08 or first half 09). There is M6 with CPO near my place.

#12 · (Edited)
#19 ·
...and not much else. 18s...speed cloth, DCT.

Kind of a stripper based on the build sheet at bmwvin.com.

#20 · (Edited)
The M3 sedan could be the best driver's car with 4 doors ever made. The buyer pool is limited but due to it's undeniable virtues I don't think you can expect a basement bargain. This is a very special car. Far more special and rare in it's segment than the coupe and vert. That said the E60 M5 sedan is also a one of a kind super sedan and they can be had to redicolous bargains. Good luck!

#22 ·
Good call on the track vehicle. Could have been. I will continue saving and enjoying my current ride until the perfect car comes up. Maybe it will be an E46 M coupe. Really, the only scary thing is not having warranty, but I could purchase one via USAA. We have never had a car payment, but I think an ///M would be worth it!

#23 ·
If you want to consider an E46, there's a gorgeous 2002 Carbon black in Devon by my work. I spent an hour looking it over and its in fantastic shape. It only has about 24K miles on it. I seriously considered a 2nd car payment and picking it up myself. I actually still am. If its still around in 2 months when I get income tax in, it will be near the top of my list for a weekender.

What I was told by the garage owner (Porsche repair shop has this car) was that it was locally own by a lawyer who garage kept it and drove it sparingly. Given the condition of this car, seems legit. Price is 23.9.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...pp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national&listType=3

#30 ·
Isn't that one of the years when BMW had to replace many M3 engines?

#25 ·
I have a 2007 STi Limited which sees very little road time. Probably less then 1000 miles over the last 3 yrs. I take it out about once every week or two for a short drive then cover her back up. (Wife's car, her orders). she still purrs like a kitten, I haven't had any issues with her.

As with any used car, there's always the chance for issues. I will say when it was started up, it fired up right away, and has a beautiful exhaust note. (AM exhaust installed) Lifted the hood, and the engine sounded real clean. You can always have a BMW mechanic check it out, or any other M3 you are looking at, before you buy it. If anyone selling it doesn't want to let you do that, that's the first sign to walk away from that M3 and find another one.

The more I talk about it, the more I want to go buy it. hahaha. *sigh* if I bring it home, I'll be in soooo much trouble, I'll have to warn the kids ahead of time so they can get out of the house before the meltdown occurs. Anyway, if its still there when Taxes/Bonuses come in, damn the consequences. It was the E46 M3 (an 01) that started my BMW obsession. I'd rather have an E46, then an E92. (but i wouldn't scoff at an E92). In any case, I've been saving for one of the next gen F80 M3s. 2015 may finally be my year. Time will tell.

#27 ·
Check out what I just found. I am going to look this week since it is only about 30 minutes from my house.

http://www.bmwcca.org/classifieds/listings.php?make=BMW&model=M3-coupe&id=4838

Looks and sounds clean based on my phone call. Guy said it still smells like new on inside and he rarely drove it. No track non smoker. All stock. Seems far below kbb value as well. It is SMG, but that's ok. I have Bilstein Sports and HandR Sport Springs right now on my e46 sedan. How does the M suspension compare?

#28 ·
Looks good. SMG is meh but if you like it, that's all that matters. Have you checked it out?

#29 · (Edited)
I can't believe someone let such a car sit in garage for so long haha. Solid car. But I thought you want an E90?

@Keyser Soze: Haha, I'm quite obsessed about CPO. Since lots of aftermarket warranty is rubbish. Except AutoPom or Five Stars in CA. I remember when I was thinking about getting an M6. There is almost no aftermarket warranty for M6 out of factory one. The only thing I found was some cover 30% of the bill and pay like $300/ a year.

#33 ·
Hey guys,

I am not sure about the SMG transmission. I haven't actually driven a vehicle with one yet. Really what this comes down to is that it is a really good deal. I will have a test drive and PPI done at Mr. M car in Monmouth, NJ. If it checks out, I will make him an offer. What would you offer? My thought is that I can drive this for 2 or 3 years and sell it without much depreciation.

Also, I can get a 3 year/36k mile warranty through USAA which will cost $3,500. They are very reputable and do not offer anything that is not of utmost quality. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.