BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Please Help If you Could

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  ShuShulSan 
#1 ·
I posted this as part of another post. But decided to post my own thread in hope of getting some responses; so please forgive me for duplication.

First time writing a post here. I am in the market for a used manual wagon and you know how that market keeps shrinking by day (US). I don't mind buying new but can't find a nice wagon with manual gearbox anywhere. Only VW Jetta and Subaru come to mind and I just don't like them. I was hoping for 3 series F31 wagon with manual and that won't be coming here anyways.

So I am looking into used market. I live in TX and could only locate one red E91 with stick. This particular one has less than 36k miles and had one owner. It was registered as commercial, which I assume was purchased for a small company's high executive. The carfax shows one accident from the left rear end. As usual, information is not very clear. Was it rear ended and bumper and all the tail lights replaced or was it a minor hit? did the person backed it up to something or someone rear-ended it? The price is around 3000-3500 below KBB and 2000-2500 below NADA ($24,000). The dealer seems uninterested in negotiation as it does not reply to my emails.

The car look very nice in photos and looks to be well kept. I am planing to visit the dealer tomorrow to see it in person. This car is under warranty till 50k or 4 years and it would be 4 years in 7 months.

I have never had any BMW's and would like your inputs on used 3 series in general and this one specifically. I will be paying for it in cash so not worry about high interest rate on used car.

Please help me.

Here is the link to dealers' page and carfax report
2009 328i wagon
Carfax
Edit/Delete Message

See less See more
#2 ·
In terms of locating more wagons with a manual transmission, have you tried the CPO search on the BMWUSA website?

Might be some out of state vehicles, but could be worth the price to pick it up or get it transported to ensure you get the car you want with the options you want.

#18 · (Edited)
Hello Friends,

Updating you on the status of this very rare manual wagon. We went to this particular dealer in Dallas area and looked at the car. As pictures suggested the car is very clean and drives very well at least for some one like myself who has been away from manual for over 12 years.

When we arrived I called BMW of Dallas and asked them if it would be ok to bring the car for inspection? The answer was big NO! they said in the past they did inspect some cars and later on something was wrong and they were held accountable, so they stopped doing it; So as Classic BMW. They said the only one still doing it around Dallas-Fort Worth would be Moritz BMW in Arlington which was too far from above mentioned dealer. So I found an indy mechanic and took the car there. He lifted the car up and took a look for the left real accident reported on Carfax and he said the structure was not impacted but most likely the bumper was replaced and painted as there was slight red paint under and on muffler. But the car looked very clean even to untrained eyes of some one like me. The run flat tired were deemed in need of replacement and break pads at 50%. He drove the car and he said was find and since no check engine light was on, he concluded that no major mechanical problems for now. And since car is still under warranty for another 15000 miles or 7 months (whichever comes first) we would be safe. Car is manual so no transmission to worry about.

Later that day we came back to dealer and started haggling with him. He was a very steadfast and stubborn seller and was not willing to negotiate beyond $200. I told him to replace all the tires to run flat and I would pay the asking price of $24,000. He finally came down to $23,500 and no tires. I got a price estimate of $905 on four bridgestone run fats from Discount Tire/American Tire. So finally I pushed price down to $23,400. Later he said he is willing to put 4 bridgestone run flat for $740. So our final price was 24,140 with four new tires.

This was our first real used car purchase (purchased many cheap ones during collage and they don't count). We usually buy new cars but as I said before we could not find any nice manual wagon that look as nice of 3 series. This car would be a family car for weekend and travel as we have a Volvo C30 for daily commute to/from work.

So what you guys think? Were we winners/losers?

P.S. We have paid $85 for inspection and $300 non-refundable deposit. They are waiting on new set of tires so we will pay for it in full sometimes next week. So I can back off if needed and let go of that $300. Keep it or let go of it?

Once again thanks to all of you for helpful tips and advice.

#19 ·
I did a quick Google search of the VIN and it looks like it was for sale for a little while at a Florida independent dealer priced at $28,500 before this Texas dealer got it.. Also did some price comparison and I think you have a fair deal there. I'd say go for it.

#21 · (Edited)
Alta Mere www.altamere.com on Alta Mere near I30 is where I've had numerous cars done. I am from Fort Worth, too. I just moved to Chicago recently. The location on Alta Mere is the original. They franchised the brand several years ago, so you can find Alta Mere stores in many locations.

I use Llumar High Performance 35% all around - http://www.llumar.com/en/AutoSolarControl.aspx . I've been using Llumar for about 30 years and I've never been disappointed with it.

#23 ·
Today we finally purchased this red wagon. But I have one question. The car has those ridges on the door handle and the battery in the key-fob is 2032 non-rechargeable. If i red the manual correctly, the non-comfort access have rechargeable battery and comfort access have regular battery. When I try to open the door with key in pocket, it simply does not work. And inside the car when I press the ignition button twice without the key in the slot the car displays the a "Key with diagonal line" on it. I have changed the battery with new one but nothing so far. o I need to take it to dealer to reprograme it?

Thanks.

#24 ·
The car seem to have comfort access but needs a new module to work. The dealer has ordered it and should be replaced sometimes next week. Now the question: with comfort access and radio interference in mind what type of window tint should I ask for with low, minimal effect onthe system. I have red multiple posts about metallic tint interfere with the system so what is the name and brand of those non-nonmetallic?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.