BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

fair price for a 1995 325 is?

718 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ZeGerman 
#1 ·
A friend of mine is looking at buying a 1995 or so 325 is, what is a fair price for one? We've been looking at classifieds and the price range seems to start around $3000 and go up to $4800. I understand conditiong and mileage plays a huge part but what would you say is a good price for one in good shape? Thanks.

#3 ·
whatever the local market seems to reflect is what i would say, but regardless, i would do a pre-purchase inspection (ppi) at a garage. this small investment will possibly save you lots more money down the road.

since it is a 95-ish, i doubt that you will find a 1 owner flawless condition, but one that has been neglected will show the tell tale signs of such neglect. it will also give you an idea as to what the overall condition is, and what should be addressed.

it could also give you some negotiating room as well.

have you read the stickies regarding what to look for when buying an e36?? even if you are not mechanically inclined this will be able to give you an idea of what to expect.

good luck with the purchase.

df

#4 ·
It's really hard to say. The condition of the car means everything. Mileage is less important if the car has been maintained to a high standard. The E36 will last an eternity if properly maintained. We have folks on here with over 200k, and in some cases 300k miles.

You can get a 325 for next to nothing, but the inexpensive examples are most likely going to need a lot of work to get looking/driving fresh again. Unless your friend knows how to spin wrenches and would be willing to replace worn out parts (cooling system, suspension, etc.), I'd recommend paying a little more for one which has had that work performed somewhat recently. There should be some okay examples in the $3k-4.8k range you mentioned. Just be sure to read the advice stickies at the top of the main E36 forum page, and have a thorough pre-purchase inspection performed by a shop knowledgeable in BMWs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.