BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

12W LED Angel Eye Bulbs

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  rideme2 
#1 ·
I just got my new angel eye bulbs in the mail today. They came with an intricate wire setup. I plugged it up the way that I thought it should go but it just looks weird to me. There's 2 oval metal pieces that hang and there is no way that you can put the cap back on. Is this right?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
never saw those before? I assume some cheap ebay junk?

#7 ·
12W LEDs????? :confused::confused::confused:

I played around with 5Watt LED's and those were hard to keep working properly as they went into thermal runaway and eventually died. LED's generate a ton of heat and it needs to be cooled properly. Once they go past their operating temperature (I think somewhere around 180F) they start failing and their life drops off exponentially. IMO I'd be careful with these.

#8 · (Edited)
You have to drill the hole on the cap and feed the wires thru it.:thumbup: and put some silicone around it.

#9 ·
Those are decent lights. The little resistor box is to make sure there are no dash errors popping up.

don't buy high wattage lights that have plastic heat sinks...which are comical if u think about it.

#15 ·
MTEC is the way to go. Land vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Vehicle Personal luxury car

These are the newest ones.

#22 · (Edited)
I get them from eBay. Just make sure there mtec's the newest ones are 3.0 mtec. There 6w each make them 12w total.

#21 ·
THX it's ACS.

#18 ·
Finally! Someone with a facelift E65 whose fitted LEDs!

So rideme2 tell us all about it; how much did you pay for your MTECs? Did you take the bumper off? How easy was it to do? Any drawbacks, eg heat output, flickering, warning messages etc...

Sorry for the rapid fire but every single post I've read on here is about the pre-facelift cars which is totally different.

Cheers!

#19 ·
Finally! Someone with a facelift E65 whose fitted LEDs!

So rideme2 tell us all about it; how much did you pay for your MTECs? Did you take the bumper off? How easy was it to do? Any drawbacks, eg heat output, flickering, warning messages etc...

Sorry for the rapid fire but every single post I've read on here is about the pre-facelift cars which is totally different.

Cheers!
Yes bumper has to come off. Very easy to do. I think they $160-180? No problem. They work get. No warning or flicker.

#20 ·
Auto part Headlamp Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system Wheel

The left one are the new 3.0 and right ones are the 2.1. Tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Wheel

#24 ·
No errors I adaptive headlights also just make sure u have the car off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.