BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Modified 335D

13K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  Axel61 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been traveling and working a lot but there were some PMs and questions I missed regarding the modifications on my 335D. I will head to PB Raceway this evening to test it. Here is what I have so far:

2011 BMW 335D Montego Blue
- Premium Package
- Sports Package
- Renntech Tune (358 HP / 496 TQ)
- Quaife Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: Dynan HRE D750-0020-P43S-BLK (22 lbs front, 22.6 lbs rear)
- Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/30-19 front (22.7 lbs), 265/30-19 rear (24.9 lbs)
- Beltronics STiR Plus (Radar Detector)
- Laser Interceptor LI Quad (Laser Jammer)
- Zaon Flight Systems PCAS (Aircraft Detector)
- 3M Crystalline Automotive Window Film

Here is what I begin next week:
- Performance downpipe
- Larger intercooler
- Titanium performance exhaust
- Upgraded brakes
- More Renntech fine tuning

I willl post some photos if I can figure out how to post from Skydrive.

See less See more
#4 ·
255's in the front? And you don't have problems with rub, even with the 30's? Those are pretty damn wide for that front wheel well. Only thing you have ahead of me is the Quaife. You're close otherwise. Seems FL is the place to be to mod the d, though...lol.

#9 · (Edited)
It is. :) Need the right tires, and a proper surface. The car can run 12's all day. The hardest part is controlling the wheel spin at launch, and it takes a bit of practice. Your 60' is pretty good, considering. I'm one of a few people who have their cars to a ~4.5 0-60, and with meth, FMIC, and exhaust work coming, I'm interested to see how much improvement I can make, personally.

Good stuff!

What my car has been through...lol

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
Would be fun to run our cars against each other post mods but you're too far away. Also, I won't be doing meth. I wonder if my wide front tires slow it down a bit. I took dynan's advice when buying the rims and they look cool but probably overkill at 255 in the front (this is their recommended M3 configuration probably track not drag optimized). The LSD makes a huge difference avoiding fishtailing on a poor launch.

#11 ·
Which is what I'm saying. I'm pushing 365 HP/589 lb/ft to the wheels. It's there.

#12 ·
Good to hear. With the new downpipe, cat delete, titanium exhaust, and larger intercooler I should be able to get there (<13.0). I just need a little driver training as well. Also, I think the temperature and humidity last night didn't help. I'm not sure how much difference it makes but as a pilot of a piston plane, there is a marked difference (cold dry days are good).

#18 ·
With that much power at the wheels, I would think the trap would be much higher, even if they were crank numbers. :dunno:
I trapped 103 with just a JBD and heavier wheels.
What kind of dyno were the numbers made on?

My car looks very similar to yours, mine is also Montego. I just changed the lower bars to black and left the surround gray, made quite a difference.

#22 ·
Hey I was supposed to be on that I sent photos to Hatmut,I guess they like the trees behind the car ,LOL, BTW dis Lenny configure ur ecu he did mines

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App

#23 ·
I work with Robert at Technicar who probably works with Lenny. I used Technicar originally to install all my speed "protection" equipment :) Now I use them for everything and they send it out for this type of stuff. The coolest unique install I have is the quaiff LSD. I love love love how this car drives.

#26 ·
I know of someone that is waiting for the owner of an X5d to come by the shop and have dpf and have ECU flashed to remove the program of it,as of yet I havent anymore on this,but will keep you all posted,ok

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App

#29 ·
I just called my sources in Florida, the guy has yet to come and do the job, I questioned if by removing all the particular parts it would not pass emissions, they confirmed it would NOT pass emissions once removed therefore, the person that is making his move would have to sign a waiver that would not involve or responsibilize the parties removing the parts in a lawsuit.

#30 ·
Off topic but I test drove a Mustang GT and a Boss 302 today. Theoretically these cars a touch faster than my 335d but they felt aweful in comparison. Poor throttle response and sloppy stearing and suspension. I want to get one as a project car but my BMW is so tight and well engineered in comparison. Granted the 302 would best it on the track but it just didn't feel right in my hands. Not sure I can pull the trigger on a Mustang. But I want more HP for track days. One alternative would be an M3 but justifying to the wife getting two 3 series would cost me :)

#31 ·
Just buy my 335d and go to town modifying it for your project car .....

Mustangs in factory form probably are lacking when compared to a 3-series. The nice thing about a Mustang is the options are almost endless for aftermarket modifications and typically can turn them into anything you want them to be just so long as your pocket book can support the bills.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.