BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Alignment - Warranty - improper tire wear

8K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  pointandgo 
#1 ·
First off an easy question...
Is front-end alignment covered under the BMW warranty?

My car (2011 335i 4-door) was purchased new, and I paid to extend the "no service charge" warranty to 10-year/100k-miles, right now my car is just over 20k on the miles so it is not even an issue with the extension I bought.

I had the car in for service, 3rd time for faulty air-pressure sensors, and the service department said my passenger's front tire was showing premature wear on the outside edge which indicated I have hit a road hazard and knocked that wheel out of alignment. They said I needed a new tire ($360) and an alignment (another ~$300 or so) and at that time I declined the service.

I understand that if I hit a curb (never done that) or a bad pothole (been there at least twice) these are not a warranty issue. Although I purchased the 10yr/100k road-hazard warranty on wheels and tires it does not cover the suspension. But I do not think that is my case here.

So, when I got home I took a look at the tire and it is indeed showing sings of nearing mandatory replacement on the outside edge. I have the sport suspension and super-low profile tires and since I did not turn the wheel all the way to the right I was unable to visually inspect the inside edge but I did run my hand in there and found that it was not exhibiting the premature wear like the outside edge. So I went over to the driver's side and saw the same wear patterns indicating that I have (my guess) way to much toe-in on the suspension. Such a situation would not be caused by hitting a pothole with one or the other front wheel.

I know these tires are soft and will not give me the 35-50k miles of life that many passenger cars tires do these days. I have always run z-rated tires with 45 series sidewalls on my previous cars, and the worst wear I ever got was 24k on a set of BFG Comp-TAs. But here I am at under 21K and both of my front tires are needing replacement soon despite the center section and inside section having at least 5k (maybe more) life left.

I contend this is due to an improper alignment since only the outside edge of both are worn out, it is conceivable that I have a camber problem but one so severe as the wear pattern shows would be visible to the naked eye I think. It cannot be due to being under inflated since the insides edges are fine. Now, I DO drive this car hard in the turns, I FULLY ADMIT that. The steering and cornering is why I bought this car in the first place (brakes too) since I was pretty disappointing in the acceleration of the twin screw turbo-6, it is the slowest car I've owned since 1994. I am fully aware that aggressive cornering will decrease the lifespan of the tires, but they should wear evenly if the alignment is correct. Unless the standard BMW alignment specs (this is by first Bimmer ever) call for extreme toe-in. The car does not have the unstable initial cut-in that extreme toe-in usually induces, steering response is immediate (I LOVE IT!) but there's nothing twitchy or unstable about it. It does not over-steer at all like too much toe would cause and even under-steer is negligible except at the extreme edge of grip.

So back to the original question, is front end alignment covered under factory warranty assuming I did not knock it out of alignment? If so I think I have a strong case to have it realigned at no cost and arguably have the new set of front rubber replaced at a reduced price. What say ye?

See less See more
#2 ·
This is not going to be covered by the dealer unless you are exceptionally gifted at persuasion.

But don't pay that inflated price for alignment ..... time to find your favorite indy tire shop .... I get alignments for less than $100 and tires at much better prices.

#3 ·
Alignment is not covered and BMW's are very sensitive to alignment especially with the soft front suspension bushings. And yes a pothole will effect toe on a BMW. Outside tire wear on modern BMW's is very common. BMW and Audi suspension geometry is designed for handling more than it is for tire wear. My 335's go through rears tires every 9k-10k miles and the fronts are good for about 20k miles. Most summer only tires are only good for 15K to 20k at best. If you want longer wear, do an alignment every year and buy a different tire. If you drill out the camber pins up front and then have the car aligned and you tell the tech to adjust front camber to the most negative he can get it up front and get toe just right you will have slightly better tire wear. On my 09 335 I swapped out the stock control arms for the M3 ones with firmer bushings and lowered the car and my dealer has a great alignment tech that will set everytrhing to what I want and how I drive and I have perfect tire wear up front.

Now My X5 goes through tires every 32k ish miles no mater what even with regular alignments. I could get more out of them if the front suspension was adjustable (camber is only adjustable by changing control arms and there are 3 to pick from!) If I try to get 35 to 40k miles out of them they get so noisy to the point of being unbearable.

#6 · (Edited)
I agree with everything David said. I am on my 3rd E90 platform car and every single one of them wears the outside edge of the passenger's side front tire faster than the driver's side tire. I have tried alignments and still experienced the same wear on sport package equipped cars (which is all I buy). I say it is a trait of the car and you have to accept it unless you are willing to do some mods like David to try to modify that issue out of the car. I get roughly 20k miles (all city) on fronts and rears. If the fronts wore more evenly I could probably get 30k out of the fronts. Make sure you are running 36 psi (cold) on all 4 tires. Any lower and the rate of wear increases significantly.

#4 · (Edited)
So back to the original question, is front end alignment covered under factory warranty assuming I did not knock it out of alignment? If so I think I have a strong case to have it realigned at no cost and arguably have the new set of front rubber replaced at a reduced price. What say ye?
Like nearly all dealers, BMW does not align their cars prior to sale. Rubber bushings wear in....alignment maybe 1k+ mi down the road an excellent idea.

$300 for alignment is wildly high. BMW Kinematic alignment is excellent, but anyone familiar with BMW suspensions and the concepts of toe & camber can do the same. Think: $75.

Hey, it's your deal. Alignment requires a level of equipment, not the least being a way to raise the car while doing it. I'd find a reputable Indy - a Tire Rack vendor might be the right place to look.

If not a resolute DIY'r, BMW is your other choice. Typical BMW Service Advisor:

Gesture Finger Thumb White-collar worker Logo

#7 ·
Like nearly all dealers, BMW does not align their cars prior to sale. Rubber bushings wear in....alignment maybe 1k+ mi down the road an excellent idea.

$300 for alignment is wildly high. BMW Kinematic alignment is excellent, but anyone familiar with BMW suspensions and the concepts of toe & camber can do the same. Think: $75.

Hey, it's your deal. Alignment requires a level of equipment, not the least being a way to raise the car while doing it. I'd find a reputable Indy - a Tire Rack vendor might be the right place to look.

If not a resolute DIY'r, BMW is your other choice. Typical BMW SA:

View attachment 351290
Sadly, that is not high in Los Angeles. Pacific BMW, who sold me my E91, charges $319 for an alignment.

#9 ·
I think my sheetmetal and rims will testify that I am not doing it "too fast', I may have gotten close to being too fast before. hmmm...maybe if I wear them down to slicks I get even more grip:)

To all who replied:
1.) Thank you!
2.) I am familiar with Tire Rack but not "Indy tire", I just goolged them and it seems all the hits are from Indianapolis. Is that some sort of national chain like NTB or Discount Tire, both of which are all around this area? I do not see myself driving to IN just to get new rubber and an alignment.
3.) Anyone want to recommend a different brand/make/model for an otherwise factory stock 335i with 18" rims and sport package? I've considered dumping the RFTs but that brings up more issues and headaches than I care to deal with or worry about this time.
4.) 36 PSI is a little on the high side isn't it, not sure what I have in there now, it is nitrogen and those pressure sensors seem VERY sensitive so is that the factory setting? If not and I want to go to 36PSI will the sensors need to be re-calibrated?
5.) I'm wondering how a pothole or two in about two years would cause the exact same toe-in on both corners, of course anything is possible. I only remembering hitting one nasty one ever, and like I said no curbs.
6.) Would this be a good time to get stiffer bushings like poly or ones with steel inserts? I am usually fine with a ride quality that many folks think is too harsh, although i freely admit that one thing I like about this car is that I get about the same lateral grip as my old tweaked out Mustang from a car I can have a conversation in and not have to wear a kidney belt. I must be getting old...HA!

#14 ·
When people follow me too close when I drive a minivan, I consider those drivers the retards.

#17 ·
What's a minivan? :angel:

#19 ·
BMW covers wheel alignment only up to 2,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.