BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

00 740iL - Oil change reset

38K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  2001740ilsport 
#1 ·
Just had oil change and no cant reset oil service light.. help pls

#2 ·
Are you down to the yellow LED and warning light (OIL SERV of INSPECTION) like in the pic below? If not...then just wait until the warning comes on and you get down to the yellow LED to reset the SI display. This will keep your SI display on track with the two warnings (OIL SERV & INSPECTION).

If yes, what is your car's build date...is it after 9/2000? Need to know this info because if it was built after 9/2000 you can reset the SI display using the instrument cluster buttons. If not, you'll need to use the 20-pin round DLC (data link connector) under the hood. For instructions on how to reset the SI display using the DLC under the hoos (and a wire or needle-nose pliers)...click this link and scroll down PAST the oil change instructions:

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

To reset the SI Display using the instrument cluster...your car's build date HAS to be after 9/2000...or if your car was built BEFORE 9/2000 and you have a goodwill replacement instrument cluster from BMW NA...you may have gotten one that will allow you to do this using the instrument cluster:

#5 ·
Depends on your definition of early. You can do the reset yourself, as Q so ably demonstrated, and it does not hurt anything.

Don't do the wire trick unless you absolutely have to, and if you do, make sure you know which hole is which before inserting the wires. You can screw a lot of things up on the car otherwise.

jake

#6 ·
Reset the warning light (OIL SERV of INSPECTION)

I am new with BMW 740i. I just bought a 2000 740i with 66,500 mi in November 2010. My car was built in 9/1999 according to the the door plate. I follow the instruction to reset by shorting pin# 7 and pin# 19 in the DCL but the system did not reset. Anything else I can do or any other thing will happen if it is not reset. Do I need to take to the BMW shop? Many thanks in advance.:cry:

#10 ·
I am new with BMW 740i. I just bought a 2000 740i with 66,500 mi in November 2010. My car was built in 9/1999 according to the the door plate. I follow the instruction to reset by shorting pin# 7 and pin# 19 in the DCL but the system did not reset. Anything else I can do or any other thing will happen if it is not reset. Do I need to take to the BMW shop? Many thanks in advance.:cry:
Yes,, What I do and to many other 7`s is turn key ON with #7 and #19 wire in...get out of car and walk to the wire and remove either side #7 or #19 then re insert the wire...go back inside the car and take key out....Remove the wire and re insert the cap..Get back in car and put key into Position 1,2,3 and u will see ll the lights reset

#7 · (Edited)
Unlike the older BMWs, with the E38 you have to follow the steps in a specific order and time it just right... are you doing this? - Oil change reset

Also, try the dash reset procedure... if a previous owner did an instrument cluster change out through BMW, it will likely work, and it shouldn't cause any harm if you don't have it and it doesn't work.

The down side to not resetting the lights, you will see them on every time you start the car.

#8 ·
Do you have a local BMW indy shop nearby? They should have the scanner to reset light. Or ask someone local if they have a peake code reader.

#9 ·
Why is it that a high dollar BMW with the "finely engineered" motor and drive train starts failing in the 100k range or sooner and the American Chevys and
Fords tend to last twice as long with out major issue. When the BMW fails, it is so expensive to fix it is hardly worth repair and especially with age. I have a 740 il with 160k miles and a Ford truck (pulls large RV) and a ford Van with 250k, and a Toyota Corolla with 180k and the BMW is the only one that has issues-electronics, heater, cooling system, major motor failure, and numerous other issues. I am not exaggerating the issues. It is so frustrating to have such a expensive auto that has had the best care gone sour. I am now retired and could never replace the BMW or any of the others as far as that is concerned but at least the Fords and Toyotas still run without major issues.

#11 ·
fords and chevy`s LAST TWICE AS LONG???? SOme BS here!!
Sure the e38 needs maintenance like all others @ 100k...My 7 is 178k miles and STRONG...Had I not serviced it @98k miles I would have a POS in the driveway or junk yard...
I dont think theres 1 FORD or Chevy (similiar miles) on the ROAD today!!! that runs as good as my 2000 740i SPort with 178k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.