BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Cold Weather Thing?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jado_84 
#1 ·
I believe it's a weather thing! I live in Michigan and I tried turning on my car right now, and it wouldn't turn on! even tho it's parked in the garage, but it got really cold last nite and it's around 13 degrees outside now. the first thing I noticed was that as soon as I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the ON position, the Steering wheel nods down a mm and do not go all the way down like its supposed to.

Please some help on what to do to prevent this; oh yeah, and how to turn on my car! Jump start it??

PS: All the lights and electronics in the car will work beside turning that baby on :(
It clicks once and that's it...
Some input on it; I bought the car just over a month ago and it's been running like a champ!
I'd be so upset if it's something serious; I went out to my Saab 9-3 parked OUTSIDE under 8 inches of snow and after sitting there for 2 weeks. IT STARTED RIGHT AWAY FROM THE FIRST CLICK!

#6 ·
I just jump started thru my brother VW CC, second try after a minute on charge worked great!
The Battery light, DSC light, ABS light were all on for 30 seconds then they all went off as if nothing ever happened..
Is this something i should be worried about? and I noticed that my engine coolant container is almost frozen, I know it shouldn't freeze if the right coolant is used; should I flush that system or just top it off with the right coolant? (which is the right coolant for this E39?)

Thanks everybody, I would be lost without Bimmerfest help and advices! (specially knowing how expensive these fixes can get)

#11 ·
I noticed that my engine coolant container is almost frozen
Um, perhaps this is part of your problem? :yikes:

First off, 13 degrees is not extreme cold. The car should run properly in temperatures far below that.

Your battery is likely dead. But you have a bigger problem if your cooling system has ice in it. You need to get the car flatbedded and do a full cooling system flush. Use BMW coolant mixed 50-50 with distilled (NOT tap) water.

I would also check then entire cooling system for leaks. Get in there with a flashlight and looked for green or blue crusted minerlization (see pix.)

Do not drive the car until you get the cooling system diagnosed.

\
Leak near water pump

Leak near thermostat

#7 ·
- You likely need a new battery.
I use Duralast 49-DL from Autozone. Listed price is $95. I searched the same Group 49 at Walmart which sells it for $80.
I told my local Autozone to price-match and they did. I Paid $80 + tax out of the door:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1162887

- Coolant: some use BMW coolant (expensive). I use Prestone with no issues for 25 years.
Frozen coolant = damaged engine block!
Make sure you drain and use proper mixture of at least 50% coolant.
Check the strength using a tester.

#8 ·
Here's an update!
As I was here replying back that i was able to jump my car; I go back outside to take it for a small drive just around the area so the battery would charge a bit, i walk out to the garage and here the engine revving high as a 2000rpm and then slowly stalling down on me :( I get in the car and see the same lights on again (battery, DSC sign, brake, ABS) and add to those Service Engine Soon light turned on;

What might be the problem beside a bad battery?
Should I even try jumping it again and take it to my local shop to put a new battery?

#10 ·
Autozone or Advanced or even Walmart auto for a new battery is the first next step.:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.