BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sunroof Shade Clip DIY

96K views 38 replies 26 participants last post by  zacklakatos 
#1 ·
Like many others, I've had problems with the sunroof shade on my 330. It was not sliding properly and was binding up when I operated the sunroof. There are four "clips" that attach the shade to the slider mechanism that are notoriously poorly designed. It doesn't take much to break them.

I put together a quick Sunroof Clip DIY (with pictures) describing how to replace these clips.

When I did this repair I found that none of my clips had actually broken. In my case, one of the clips on the right side, had popped out of the slot in the sliding member and it was causing the shade to bind up when the sunroof was opened/closed.

Now that I've had it apart, I'm certain that I'd be able to replace them if/when my clips break.

Enjoy.

#6 ·
blkonblk330i said:
flip moon roof up and you should be able to slide shade back.
That is the problem, it wont go back more than 2 inches. It was like that when I bought it used. It goes back with the glass when it is opened, but comes back up with it when it is closed. I would like to fix it, but I don't want to brake anything in the process.

#8 ·
first thank you ChrisF, second I LOVE THIS Forum!!! I been reading for like 4 days now, my work productivity has gone down ever since I registered here. I just fixed my shade, I need 1 clip when ever I get one but I swapped one and put this back in the track. Does any one recommend any online sites to order this from?

#9 ·
The sun shade on my wife's 2003 325Xi just came loose. It doesn't seem to be sliding correctly in any tracks.

I was going to try to get the dealer to fix it under CPO but they are claiming that it is covered. (even though this is part of the mechanical sunroof system/movement.) :mad:

I haven't done anything with the car yet but based upon this writeup I will probably see if I can fix it before resorting to the stealer. (I was really hoping I didn't have to remove the headliner). If the clip broke off inside, what are the chances that this piece will remain in the roof of the car & can jam the sunroof mechanism?

#12 ·
How exactly did u achieve that? There is a tab that automatically pulls the sunshade back when you open the glass? Seems to me that holding it shut would break something?

My problem right now is the Driver; the metal that holds the plastic driver in place is bent. I just don't see how to bend it back in place...

#18 ·
Hi All,

I hvae recently run into the issue where my sun roof will not open in slide mode fully.
It appears as per the forum that something on the lid/cover has broken and prevents the roof from fully opening.

I woud like to use johnewhites plan to open the roof while holding the cover lid closed, however I am not able to close the lid/cover as it gets stuck halfway.

Does that leave me no other option that to remove the roof by lifting it out after removing the 6 torx screws?

thanks
darian

#21 ·
Eventually you will have to remove the glass to replace the pieces that fall out as you giggle it cause some will. To loosen it up you could open and close the glass while moving the lid in the same direction. I never got around to replacing the broken clips since other members who did replace them only ended up having the same problem again. the roof is a major weakness in our e46s....

#23 ·
I finally got round to taking my roof out yesterday afternoon.
Once the roof was out it was easy to spot the issue.
It appears somehow that the driver got ahead of the front clip. I removed the front clip by taking out the 2 screws to allow me to move the shade and front clip behind the driver.
Put everything back together and voila!
The plastic on the driver was a little pushed up, but I managed to clip it back into position.

Thanks all for your good support and posts.

Took me no more than 45 mins to remove the roof, fix the issue and re-assemble the bits on my own.

#25 ·
Even easier DIY

Another way of doing this that is much easier iswithout removing the glass. The shade slider has 2 very flexible rubber pieces at the front of it which is used to push it back when the actual glass moves if you just slowy open it and pass these two rubber pieces under it you can open the glass fully and work only with the shade slider. There are 2 perks i noticed when i did this:
1. you dont have to worry about placing the glass back on correctly and no need to recalibrate it in some cases
2. you can remove the entire slider and still close close your sunroof normally, so like for me, i could still drive around with no worries while i waited for the parts to come in!

Pt #'s
54-13-8-246-027 (left 2 needed)
54-13-8-246-025 (right 2 needed)

#31 ·
do all cars have a "driver" i have an 05 330i and my sunroof rattles when i try and open it the shade doesn't close all the way either and no clips are broken what i do notice is that the passengers sliding tab doesn't move. i have no problem sliding the drivers side back and forth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.