BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Congrats to "Battle of the Bimmers" winners...

11K views 40 replies 32 participants last post by  sijia10358 
#1 ·
Vintage Class Division:

1. E28 M5 owned by Ron Perry

2. E21 320i owned by CJ Viola

3. E9 3.0 CSL owned by Tom Rakearch

Modified Class Division:

1. E46 330i owned by Vijay Patel

2. E39 528i owned by James Lee

3. E36 Sedan (a.k.a. PTG M3) owned by James Demmitt

BEST OF SHOW:

1. Lambo-doored E46 M3 owned by Taber Schroeder

:supdude:

Note to potential naysayers. This competition was not rigged either!

Judging was performed by the team of freelance automotive writer/photographer Fred Larimer, and Bimmer Magazine At Large
editor Jay Jones...

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING REQUEST:

Please post pictures of these specific vehicle in this thread if you have any.

Also, James Lee - owner of the second-place finishing E39 528i never picked
up his trophy. Does anybody know how to contact him??

See less See more
#27 ·
BLitZeD310 said:
For the reply of the person standing on the roof: Tell me you didn't get a kick out of that? Didn't you notice the battle of the cookies on the hood of the car? There were more people gathered around his car having a great time then there were the show cars. This was not a show car, it was an Auto-X car, that gets driven harder than 90% of the cars on the lot, not to mention its 23 years old and can still keep up with allot of the cars there. Yeah so it was not the prettiest thing to look at. But he was with the E21 Legion, a group of about 13 guys getting together for the weekend to have a great time at Bimmerfest. I can't wait for the majority of the people to understand that Bimmerfest is not about the cars, but rather the enthusiast. This is what Bimmerfest is about, having a good time. This is my 3rd year attending and I was pleased with the turnout and all the work involved. Although I must say people are making it out to be to much of a car show, and getting to crazy on the rally. From the previous years this was not the case it was just a gathering of ALL BMW's. I do understand space was limited so only modified cars and classic cars should be allowed to enter the lot. The car mentioned is considered a classic to some. Oldskool-classics is more of a style then referring to a specific year.

People got spoiled by last year at the fairgrounds. There was so much space that everyone could park and that was great. But all the other years before, it was a first come first serve basis, and many cars did not get to park on the lot regardless of how "modified" the car was and there was never complaining like I see here.

All I can say was that we stayed together and got to the lot much earlier than most, stayed together on the rally, did not get crazy on the rally, and we all had a great time.

Much respect for all the winners :thumbup:
Very well said :thumbup: . Bimmerfest is not a show, its a gathering. Its a place where people can hang out and check out other cars and meet new people and meet the people that they talk to on the boards.

#28 ·
Didn't care for the car, but give a thumb up for the work, blood, and tears that went into it.

Style is always a matter of opinion. Newer cars with shiny paint will attract more attention, which is why I feel the "classic" category was fitting so they are recognized as well. At the same time, I wouldn't expect a classic or older model car to win the best of show unless it's heavily modded like the old school Ms.

#31 ·
Cliff3 said:
I loved that euro M5
Me too. I only wish it had period-correct wheels instead of the E39 SP ones. My thing is, if you're going to keep it with an original look, pay attention to the wheels. The same comment goes to the blue E9 with 400k+ :yikes: :yikes: miles that had late 80s vintage Alpinas, and the white E9 with E36 LTW wheels. My M6 has non-period wheels, but that should change soon.

#32 ·
The Best In Show winner has had a lot of time, effort, and money wrapped up into it, no doubt. Did it REALLY deserve that award, well obviously everyone has their own opinions. I personally feel the car was a bit over-done, but that is what you need to win car shows (Hot Import Nights, etc, etc). Will most BMW owners that love to drive their cars hard like that car, probably not, since you'll need to be VERY careful with that paint and the interior trim. But as a show car, that one is fairly top notch. Bravo.

Blacksheep said:
Just to be in the contest gets my respect.

There were only a few cars which I felt didn't belong on the lot. A giveaway is when the owner is standing on his roof.

Would YOU do that with your car?
Bimmerfest is not about the Battle of the Bimmers. That happens to be just ONE of the events going on during the day. It is unfortunate that the only way to be JUDGED for that event is to be on the lot, but with this year's event not being limited to JUST the BMW lot as it has been in prior years, a small corner of 12 classic e21's (one of which won Best Classic last year and 2nd this year) can be spared. As the owner of that winning classic already said, the e21's were organized as a group, drove in early together and were allowed to park together. It is rare that you see ANY e21's on the road these days, let alone 12 of them in the same place at the same event. How many Z3's were there? How often do you see them on the road?

My paint is old and faded, chipped in places, and there is some surface rust from the days when the previous owner let the car sit for 2 years under a tree before I came along and saved the car from wasting away, giving it a new lease on life. I'm having fun with it, and that INCLUDES standing on the roof, hood, trunk, fenders, whatever I feel like. I do this because the paint is already in bad shape. I may eventually repaint it, but that is a low priority, since it doesn't need to look pretty to go fast around the autoX cones. Will I stand on the roof then? No. Do I stand on the hood of my daily driven 318is? No. Do I stand on the trunk of my e30 M3? HELL NO!!!! Does that make them any more or less important to me than my e21? No. Should my classic, 23 year old BMW have been let on the lot to help make more of a presence for the e21 community? You're damn right it should!

#34 ·
Yes I did actually. It allowed me to see all those other cars that WEREN'T on the lot, not just the ONE extra that would have been let on if I parked out on the street. :D That is something I figured out last year at this event. Makes for a great lay of the land.

#35 ·
uberpanzer said:
The Best In Show winner has had a lot of time, effort, and money wrapped up into it, no doubt. Did it REALLY deserve that award, well obviously everyone has their own opinions. I personally feel the car was a bit over-done, but that is what you need to win car shows (Hot Import Nights, etc, etc). Will most BMW owners that love to drive their cars hard like that car, probably not, since you'll need to be VERY careful with that paint and the interior trim. But as a show car, that one is fairly top notch. Bravo.

Bimmerfest is not about the Battle of the Bimmers. That happens to be just ONE of the events going on during the day. It is unfortunate that the only way to be JUDGED for that event is to be on the lot, but with this year's event not being limited to JUST the BMW lot as it has been in prior years, a small corner of 12 classic e21's (one of which won Best Classic last year and 2nd this year) can be spared. As the owner of that winning classic already said, the e21's were organized as a group, drove in early together and were allowed to park together. It is rare that you see ANY e21's on the road these days, let alone 12 of them in the same place at the same event. How many Z3's were there? How often do you see them on the road?

My paint is old and faded, chipped in places, and there is some surface rust from the days when the previous owner let the car sit for 2 years under a tree before I came along and saved the car from wasting away, giving it a new lease on life. I'm having fun with it, and that INCLUDES standing on the roof, hood, trunk, fenders, whatever I feel like. I do this because the paint is already in bad shape. I may eventually repaint it, but that is a low priority, since it doesn't need to look pretty to go fast around the autoX cones. Will I stand on the roof then? No. Do I stand on the hood of my daily driven 318is? No. Do I stand on the trunk of my e30 M3? HELL NO!!!! Does that make them any more or less important to me than my e21? No. Should my classic, 23 year old BMW have been let on the lot to help make more of a presence for the e21 community? You're damn right it should!
Dougly, are you trying to say something? :angel:

#37 ·
Sev03 said:
hey guys i was always wondering if theres no clutch on the new m3's, then how do you shift with the shifter? thx
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Where in the world did you get the idea that there is no clutch in the new M3s. The manual M3 trannies have a clutch, and the SMG trannies also have a clutch. Only difference is the SMG computer engage/disengage the clutch for you, so there's no need for you to control the clutch manually.

#38 · (Edited)
Best in show winners thoughts

yes people the car is a little extreme for most bmw purists......but whats NOT fun about that...you people will never forget that car as long as you live....wether it is in a positive manner or negative we did our job...TNB is proud to be the winner of best in show and would suggest to people that they judge the car on the fact the mods are just sick AND IF A LITTLE PAINT AND FUNKY DOOR KITS THROW YOU OFF OF WHAT THAT CAR WAS REALLY ABOUT YOU JUST DONT KNOW SPEED AERODYNAMICS AND POWER AND SUSPENSION ...THE CAR IS DRIVIN BY A MAD MAN...ASK ANYONE WHO SAW ME FLYING BY THEM WHEN I DROVE BACK TO LA. love my car dont care if you do.....only care if you have me design something for you and your happy with it,,,,my car is for me...it met my needs,,,let me meet yours and build you a sick ride...and you dont have to do the doors or paint...but we can still make your car unique :thumbup:

#39 ·
Taber Schroeder said:
would suggest to people that they judge the car on the fact the mods are just sick
I think it needs to see a doctor. :eek:

THE CAR IS DRIVIN BY A MAD MAN...ASK ANYONE WHO SAW ME FLYING BY THEM WHEN I DROVE BACK TO LA.
Were you driving a white 6? :confused:

love my car dont care if you do
That's what it's all about. :bigpimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.