BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Amsterdam car wash?

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  beauport 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a good car wash near the Amsterdam drop-off (which is by Schipol airport)? Given the weather in N. Europe this time of year, I'm sure the exterior will be filthy when we drop-off in Amsterdam at the end of next week. I hate to leave that grime on the paint for six weeks.

#2 ·
AlisaKay said:
Does anyone know of a good car wash near the Amsterdam drop-off (which is by Schipol airport)? Given the weather in N. Europe this time of year, I'm sure the exterior will be filthy when we drop-off in Amsterdam at the end of next week. I hate to leave that grime on the paint for six weeks.
Alisa, here's my take on the car wash issue:

1) I hear ya on not wanting to leave all that dirt on the car for the duration of journey home. But here's the thing... You ought to see how dirty you car is before they washed it for you:p Seriously, these cars have been sitting in a storage lot for the past 4~6 weeks. It's really not a big deal.

2) Once again your car will be filthy while await for a boat ride at port.

Just let it be... I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.;)

beewang:bigpimp:

#3 ·
AlisaKay said:
I wouldn't bother. I paid a small fortune having my car detailed before I dropped it off in Nice and it was delivered very dirty anyway. It's going to get filthy on the trip and the dirt certainly won't hurt it.

Also, as I've mentioned here before, you might want to use a clay bar to remove contaminants when you receive it in the US, since even a brand new BMW seems to come with very dirty paint, including rail dust and other contaminants from shipping.

--gary

#4 ·
AlisaKay said:
I actually stopped at a diy wash on the way to Amsterdam from Brussels (about 10 miles out). There were a couple. The "full serve" wash used brushes, so I elected to drop in quarters (euros) and do it myself...

Call me crazy, but I had the same concerns about protecting the finish--particularly when crossing the ocean. I stayed at hotels which generally had underground parking and was able to double coat (Zaino) my car to protect it before dropoff.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be fine. The guys at harns in Amsterdam are top notch, and I was assured by WW (shippers) that the ship's enclosed and sealed.

You should be fine.

Lansing

#5 ·
Re: Re: Amsterdam car wash?

Lansing said:

Call me crazy, but I had the same concerns about protecting the finish--particularly when crossing the ocean. I stayed at hotels which generally had underground parking and was able to double coat (Zaino) my car to protect it before dropoff.

Lansing
I always thought that it wasn't a good idea to wax a new car for at least a month or so. Is Zaino an exception?

#6 ·
Re: Re: Re: Amsterdam car wash?

riffic said:

I always thought that it wasn't a good idea to wax a new car for at least a month or so. Is Zaino an exception?
By the time you actually receive the car, Euro Delivery or regular, the paint is going to be a month old and likely more. Plus modern paints and processes "cure" faster than in years past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.