BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

e39 valve cover gasket

21K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  Shezzannn 
#1 ·
Just DYI my leaky valve cover gasket on my 2000 528i. Also changed plugs while it was apart. Got the gasket from BMW $55 - aftermarket it cheaper but i like the real thing - Wasn't that hard - I used the instuctions from Pelican parts / DYI help - the car was a 3 series but was close enough for me. I guess this is common problem and the gasket gets hard and brittle over time - then leaks ----

There is a another computer DYI sight out there that has a 5 series instructions - but i could find it when i went to do the work..

Take Care

B

#3 ·
How long did it take you, including beer breaks, talking on the phone, and stretching your back? :)

What was the trickiest / most difficult part of it? I am going to do mine probably next week.

#5 ·
I did valve gasket on previous cars and on my bike, but never on the 528i. I was curious how long for someone who did the 528i for the first time, as it will be my first 528.

Did you also replace all the grommets and nuts?

#6 ·
all of the grommets should definately be replaced. When I did mine, some of them were about cracked in half and fell apart in my hand.

#7 ·
not sure about the 528's and the 530's, but on the 540 the most tedious and time consuming thing I found was slipping a long thin screwdriver in between the injectors to unclip them from the electrical box. Not a difficult task, just tedious. But a few beers and a lot of curse words later I had them all unclipped. As for getting them back on upon reasembly, that was a little easier.

#9 ·
Rolling Rock or Blue Moon for the beer. As for the curse words, I like to change it up. It feels better if you vary it rather than saying the same one over and over:rofl:

#11 ·
New rubber gromets

Back again - It took me about 3 hours - moving slowly - step by step - Didn't know how to remove the Air filter box that runs into the firewall -- just released the round clip and turned the whole unit up-wards clockwise and it came off - just easier to get cover off with that thing out of the way ----- WISH I HAD BOUGHT NEW RUBBER GROMMETS UNDER THE BOLTS - MINE WERE STILL OK BUT WHY NOT CHANGE THEM --- be carefully and remove them and the washers before you take off the cove or they could drop down your engine.

Hope this helps

Also changed my spark plugs while apart --

PS don't forget to use antiseize on the threads

#15 ·
I was talking about a 540... should have mentioned that... Those pesky electronics housings above each bank that have the coil boots sticking out get in the way of removing the valve covers...

Probably don't need to remove the rails all together unless you get into the manifold stuff more like I did -- I was getting in there anyway though and found it was easier to remove the fuel rail. The housings, injectors, etc, all pop right out of the manifold very easy.

#17 ·
If you dont change the grommets plan on changing the gaskets again in 20k, spend the axtra few bucks and change the washers

#20 ·
Valve cover gasket

Hi Guys. I am doing my valve gasket and had a hard time getting the valve cover back on. Than I tighened the bolts and had some popping noise. I put a crack where one of the bolts, washer, and grommet goes in. The crack is from the hole outwards away from the engine. Dunb question but how bad is this? Thanks. I am new to working on my car but you can only learn from doing it or making mistakes. Thanks>

#21 ·
Hey guys I appreciate this post very much. I want to add for those who are doing this for the first time (like me). The old gasket may be so baked that you think you are breaking part of the valve cover itself when you pry it loose. Definitely use a heat gun to loosen up the old gasket from the valve cover. Make sure you remove all parts of the old gasket from below the cover. I had a chunk of the gasket loose under the valve cover for God knows how long.

Again I greatly appreciate these suggestions and step by step instructions you guys linked. The Pelican link was very helpful as well.

Thanks guys,

EJ

#24 ·
OEM gasket only costs a few dollars more
I dread replacing mine ... but it leaks on the passenger side, and makes an awful 'what-died?' smell when I'm stopped, idling, uphill (in San Francisco).

It must not be leaking much because the oil level doesn't seem to change but there is grunge on the VANOS solenoid below the valve covers that I clean off every few months.

Add one more to my tuit list!

#28 ·
#32 ·
You need one VC set but you need to know the car's production date. Things changed between Aug & Sep 02 production. Look on your B-pillar. There is a plate with an engraved date xx/02. That is your production month. Then get the appropriate gasket.

You also need 15 of the following grommets, 11-12-1-437-395-M17.

Follow the Beisan DIY procedure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.