BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5 35D Engine Faults

33K views 67 replies 28 participants last post by  ard 
#1 · (Edited)
Good Day Everyone,

I have had an X5 35D since late June. I have been back to the dealer twice with check engine faults related to Air Sensors. One for intake air temp and once for a mass flow sensor. Have these been a common issue?

I will add that it is nice to have the Gopoint App for the Iphone to at least have a rough idea of the check engine light issue is

#44 ·
23,000 kms on my 2010 X5 30d. No fuel related issues I have niggles in other areas, but in all, at the moment, 9 months in, I'm still relatively pleased, and my Dealer is very fair, professional, and helpful.

The only thing I am starting to see overall on this Forum is how we take our vehicles in for a problem, some small, and the dealer has to order the part.

I needed a replacement horn - 1 week order.
replace both front fender repeater lamps - 3 day order.
Front seat cover needs repalcing - now that, I expect that they need to order.
Spare wheel kit - 1 week order
I hope one of my head lamps, or tail lamps doesn't need replacing, otherwise the vehicle will be off the road wiating for the part.

My point is, don't these places keep relatively low price, regularly required parts in stock any more :dunno:

I guess it's a sign of the times that everyone keeps bare minimum, or no stock to save money.

#45 ·
My experience with an '08 535 taught me that BMW is actually German for "check engine light." Which leads to an inconvenient trip to the dealership (or as many as three trips in a 27 day period) that results in yet another reset of the software. You can get BMW NA involved and speak to a very considerate and empathetic customer care rep. Sometimes they can even convince the dealer to actually look under the hood where they will find spark plugs saturated with fuel, misbehaving fuel injectors, in addition to a bad HPFP ... Never have I had a worse ownership experience.

But, here I am, considering another BMW, even with all the grief, aggravation and of loss of good will. My wife wants an X35d, so I'm checking on the forums so we approach this purchase with our eyes open.

All that said, my colleague has not had a single problem with his '11 X35d in 10k miles (although had a hell of a time with his '04 530i). My sister-in-law has not had a minute's issue with her '08 335 in 110k miles. Many customers have very happy ownership experiences with their BMWs.

If you want assurance of a dependable, reliable car, a BMW (or any German make) is probably not your best choice. Japanese and (horrors!) American badges should be higher on your consideration list. My company leases me a new Ford every two or three years for business use. Every one has been dull, uninspiring, boring and been rock solid dependable and reliable.

You buy a BMW for that little tingle you get at the base of your brain stem when you nail the accelerator or take that S-curve faster than you really should. Just don't expect a trouble-free ownership experience. If you are lucky enough to have one, Great! You will be even more hooked. If that BMW (German, meaning "check engine light") comes on, you won't be surprised. Even after the 3rd or 4th time in a month.

When it comes to the diesel version, keep in mind that these are the engines that the engineers and designers in Munich are driving in their daily lives. Although not common or popular in the USA, 70% of the passenger fleet in Europe are diesels. These engines probably have more fleet miles on them than BMW's gasoline variants have.

These are my experiences and opinions. My best wishes for safe and happy driving.

#46 ·
You are correct in noting that the 530 is a "German make." The X5 is an American make which probably explains the better reliability.

That said if your dealer ever pops the hood on your X5D and finds fouled sparkles you have got a real problem.

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App

#49 ·
X5 diesel 2011

My first BMW ... Just bought it 2 weeks ago, last night the check engine light/engine malfunction came on.. I was driving moderately (50-70kms/h) and suddenly the engine sputters and dies... We rolled to a full stop in the middle of a busy street... Had to call the BMW assist & they connected me to roadside assist... Sat in my car for 15-20 min until the tow truck and towed her away... I have 600 km on this thing, brand spankin new , 22kms off the lot!
Now I've read some threads that indicate the fuel pump issues... Sounds like that's an easy fix... I hope that that's the problem and I'll get back into my x5 in a few days... Ill be heading to the service dep today to pick up a loaner & hopefully get sone answers! I'll keep everyone posted.
Cheers

#51 ·
Good to hear. Lets hope they got it right!

A

#53 ·
Agree with Armand . . . overall I am very happy with my X5 diesel. I had one sensor replaced at ~15,000 miles . . . apparently there was a recall on this particular sensor, BMW was trying to work it into normally scheduled maintenance, mine did not last until the next scheduled visit. I also had the rear camera cable replaced - rear cam went out when they replaced the sensor, my guess is the software somehow got corrupted when they installed the sensor . . . Dealer insists these are two separate issues. Finally my front passenger side door stared to "creak" around 4,000 miles . . . Dealer installed a Teflon tape and the creaking sound is completely gone. The car is now 14 months old and has over 21,000 miles . . . zero problems (we live in the Bay Area - mild climate) and the X5 drives extremely well. Very happy with this X5 diesel.

#59 ·
Got 5000 miles on mine, and no CEL so far. Being a BMW Diesel, I can only imagine the sophistication of the whole thing. Remember, this thing is not a hybrid so don't expect 'quietness' around it.

Yes, I do hear the 'whiny' noises whenever I open the doors OR after shutting off the engine etc, but my guess is that it is normal unless the service advisor tells you something else. (but then knowledgeable service advisors are hard to find- Atleast my experience with dealers in Dallas is they simply don't care or don't know enough...oh well, I digress).

#61 ·
Funny how that works....

#65 ·
And you havent been able to lemon it? Or do you just suffer and complain but take no actions?

I wonder how resident strange made out...

#68 ·
Really.

Did you get a legal opinion?

CT kind of sucks...so you did not get to 30 days before two years????

http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/CT_law.html

Anyway, sorry to hear. I too shared my lemon experience so others could learn...and also bought a 2012 which has been perfect..also so others can learn. Had I decided the diesel x5 was a loser initially I'd have lost out on a great car.

A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.