BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

535i in for hpfp recall -- 328i loaner rocks!

6K views 41 replies 29 participants last post by  MrTriad 
#1 ·
so i got my notice and sent the car to the shop: new programming, hpfp, and 2 injectors... in the meantime, i got a 2011 328I loaner. i *really* loved it! i thought the car would be kind of a dog, but it handled so well and was so tossable. the inline 6 was plenty.

i promise not to dis that model ever again.

any other e60 owner have that experience?

#5 ·
I have had several 328is as loaner and an X5 diesel. I have to say the 328i is nice and peppy and has a nice size. I would not want a 3 series as a long distance travel car (not a lot of rear seat room) but I think it would make for an awesome commuter.

#6 ·
I had a few 328s as loaners. I was not so impressed. First, the runflats resulted in major suspension crashes that would have been mere thumps when driving my car over bad pavement. The car has a very hard ride without the handling to match. Secondly, the car had little to no power unless I drove it like I stole it (no low to mid range torque). Finally the engine sound with the automatic trans is a letdown compared to the MT.

#7 ·
I have driven a few 328i loaners but I was not impressed. You really have to lay into the gas to get these cars moving. On the other hand I drove a 335i that was very quick and a 335d that was a rocket. All of the 3 series were small inside, and hard to get in and out of, especially the 4 door. If it was just me it would be a fun car, but with the family it is a tight squeeze.

#8 ·
Since I owned 2 first model year BMW (04 E60 and 07 E70) I have driven every BMW loaner that dealers use. Each car has a different feel, pep, ride quality, features. It is kinda fun to have a different perspective but as soon as you get your car back, you will realize that it is just different.

#9 ·
At one point we had our car in for a warranty service appointment and they "over allocated" the loaners. We were put into a used 2010 750IL with 2600 miles on it with a dealer plate for the day.

It reminded me of my mothers 73 Chevy Impala- A land-yacht.

Way to little feedback for me. Maybe when I get older.....

#11 ·
I too just got my 535i back from the recall work yesterday. Was provided a 2011 328i for the loaner and was not impressed. Just like others have stated, you really need to jump on it to get it to move quickly, and driving under normal conditions makes this car feel sluggish. It could be that we all get used to having the power of the twin turbo and this becomes the norm, yet I drive my wife's 2006 530i sometimes and don't notice the power differential as much as I did with this 328. Otherwise size, seat confort and drivers position were good.

My other huge complaint is the engine noise and sound pollution in the cabin! I don't want to hear an under-powered engine straining to ge the car up and going, and this was loud! also lots of road noise. Hopefully this was just a isolated problem and not what all 3 series are like. For now, I am very happy to have my car back!

#12 ·
While I have had BMW service loaners at the dealer where I get my car serviced it is hit or miss. Most of the time you end up with a crappy enterprise loaner. The dealer only pays for the most basic car - such as the wonderful Hyundai Elantra I had earlier this week :(.

#13 ·
When I had my 535i in for the recall I got a 335D for a loaner, IMO its a great car all the way around. When are they going to come out with a 535D in the states? If they don't have one by lease end I'm going with a 335D. A few weeks later I went in for a brake flush and to check out the AS. This time I got a 2011 Z4 3.o as a loaner for 3 days. Its a fun car but as far as I'm concerned thats it. You can hear a lot of road noise with the hard top up, yea I know its a roadster,and with the top down its a lot of fun and it turns a lot of heads. It only had 1,800 miles on it . Good luck on your next loaner
cheers
vern

#19 ·
Handling was great in my 2nd and 3rd loaners (328I), the first one they had transport mode turned on. Scared the crap out of me getting on i-10 and then the rev-limiter kicks in at 4500! Thought I destroyed the loaner car.

Nothing better than beating on the dealer loaner car that they will put back into their CPO program after it hits 10,000mi. Never buy a rental or a loaner car!

#21 ·
Both times I got a loaner it was a 328 AT non sport and I was not real happy. Coming from my 535 MT, I didn't fit as comfortably (no comfort seats/leather) and was not impressed with the engine/Hp/Trans combo at all.
I agree it would be a different story with the sport/mt combo as I had fun with a 4 banger Mazda 626 for a lot of years because it was a 5 speed manual. :)

dj

#22 ·
+1
never buy BMW w/o sport package no matter what.

For example, in 335i when you don't check the ZSP-package option when ordering, your car doesn't come with oil cooler; not a good idea for turbo cars. BMW understand clearly that sport package are bought by people who drive their cars harder than regular crowd. BTW, don't you hate the non-sport with that chrome window shadow, sport car has it painted black.:thumbup:

#28 ·
+1
never buy BMW w/o sport package no matter what.For example, in 335i when you don't check the ZSP-package option when ordering, your car doesn't come with oil cooler; not a good idea for turbo cars. BMW understand clearly that sport package are bought by people who drive their cars harder than regular crowd. BTW, don't you hate the non-sport with that chrome window shadow, sport car has it painted black.:thumbup:
I would have to disagree with you there. The standard suspension on the 2008 535 handles well and for a daily driver is quite comfortable. In addition, the 17 inch wheels do not get bent on rough roads. The all season tires last about 60,000 miles and best of all...... no runflats! And yes, I do appreciate excellent handling. That's what my 911 is for.

#23 ·
I'm almost always given a 328 for loaner every time my car goes to the shop; I think I have only gotten a 528xi once. Can't say I am impressed with the 328's even though the loaners are all practically brand new. The mushy ride, the lackluster horse power, and the tight cabin space make the car feel no different than some econobox. It's an ok car for a loaner, but not something I would be interested in owning with its $40k price tag.

#27 ·
I just got my 535i from recall fix. I got the 328 loaner and do concur that there is enough power for a non turbo 6 cyl, however if all u want is that then why buy a BMW? I tried 335i, 335d and was very impressed with it's performance. 335i pins ur head into the head rest while the 335d sounds good at 3k to 4k rpm but runs out of ponies compared to the 335i. From that perspective I love to drive the 335i. However if u have long commute and mileage is an issue the 335d is plentiful. After all this analysis I still bought 535i! Simply because I figured the car was very well insulated, behaves much better with power and with sports package is real fun and sturdy car. I'f I did not have long work commute I would pick the 550xi with sports package. This car gives u the 'Gs' I'n ur tummy like the 335i and the stable handling of the 5 series. But that's the limit, if u get to 7s that's an old mans perf limo. U loose the sporty feeling altogether. Thats like going from a Ducati 1100cc race bike to a Harley!

#29 ·
? I tried 335i, 335d and was very impressed with it's performance. 335i pins ur head into the head rest while the 335d sounds good at 3k to 4k rpm but runs out of ponies compared to the 335i.!
IMO you got that in reverse:dunno::dunno:,take another real drive in them and then see what you come up with. Good luck
cheers
vern

#30 ·
I wished the dealer had provided me with a BMW loaner while my car is in their shop for recall work.
I'd have liked to try out a different model, so I'd have a better idea for my next bimmer.
But they gave me Enterprise loaner
It was a Nissan Armada with 94 miles on it and a Bose sound system.
What a POS!
The sound system is poor, the SUV floats all over the road, the rear view camera is distorted - so 2' of actual space looks like 5' in the camera - it's a parking accident waiting to happen.
It's so big that you'll need an extra big parking space - one for a U-Haul cargo truck
Give me back my car!

#36 · (Edited)
I actually bought a 328xi because of several things I did not like with my 07 525. I can say that I look forward to getting in the 3 each and every time, I did not with the 5. It is the XI, 6 speed manual, premium package. The 5 is a great cruiser (can't beat it for highway) but the 3 is just fun, fun, fun.

Differences? The 3 gets full heat in about 2 miles (~5 min), the 5 seems to take 20 min (thank goodness for heated seats). The 3 I can adjust the cold air vents the way I want them without going through the stupid Idrive. The 3 interior is about the size of my old 5 (95) that I dearly loved. I hate to say it but I like radio I can select instantly the channel I want (vs Idrive - I have base 5 with no high end radio).

As others have said - i am not a fan of run flats but will wear them and get what I want. It also sits a little lower than I (age 50) would like but hey, it is fun...

Scott

#37 · (Edited)
I drove 328i loaners many many times and I never like them. Much too small for me ( I am 6'1") and the 5 series Sport handling cannot be beat. I am definitely a 5 series guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.