BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Why turbocharged not supercharged?

5K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  bm323 
#1 ·
Been curious why MB has abandoned supercharging and did BMW ever use it to that extent? Seems twin scroll and twin turbo have taken center stage. The supercharged Jag Supersport motor is a nice drive, I have only driven the XJL though.

Regards to all,
Don M

#2 ·
They both have pros and cons. For every advantage one has, I can think of similar advantages to the other. Generally speaking I think turbos have the potential for better fuel economy off boost though - you see turbos on the newer vehicles with lower displacement that are more economy oriented. On the other hand, BMW especially has a knack for tuning the turbos with very broad torque band. Turbos have much less parasitic losses as well. But like I said, it would be easy to sit here and name the disadvantages as well.

#3 · (Edited)
I have a Jaguar XF Supercharged rated at 420HP, and a 550xi rated at 400HP.

My butt dyno says the XF feels quicker. I think it is the always on power from the supercharger. I wish the 550 responded like the XF does. The jag has more of a sportier feel(I did opt for the sportiest version of the car), and the 550 a bit more luxury (I got the non sport version because the Jag sucks in the snow).

#4 ·
The XJL I drove is the 510 HP version and is kick ass from about 50 mph up, no slouch off the line either.

Seems that the turbo plumbing is so much more convoluted that supercharging would be preferred by mfg's but the mpg aspect must be strong.

Thanks for the insight!

#9 · (Edited)
Current year XJL specs out as 200 pounds lighter than the XF. I hear that the XJL is aluminum body, have not tested with a magnet but I might do it! It's actually a feat to build a car that light and large. Price reflect it , too:rofl:

#20 ·
yes, he claims he drives one; spends tons of time in the various subforums bashing BMW ... esp the F10 which he doesn't own ;)
AutoUnion has as much right to be on this forum as you do. He presents a counter point, which make things interesting around here. If every post in here is about how great BMW is, imagine how boring this forum would be, it will be like a giant group hug around here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with comparing BMW to the competition, if it wasnt for Audi and MB's stiff competition, BMW would not be where they are today.

#23 · (Edited)
AutoUnion has as much right to be on this forum as you do. He presents a counter point, which make things interesting around here. If every post in here is about how great BMW is, imagine how boring this forum would be, it will be like a giant group hug around here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with comparing BMW to the competition, if it wasnt for Audi and MB's stiff competition, BMW would not be where they are today.
Sure; did I say he has no right to?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7100931&highlight=#post7100931 the point is not that one should be thrashing the competition; the point is that he persistently thrashes BMW for how own motives. And if you had read, I have mentioned a few times the F10 has a serious weakness.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7112485&postcount=11 this was asking his basis

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7112663&postcount=15 I would assume that I have a right to question his basis; he can jolly well disregard, as he has done before :)

#13 ·
Back on topic, I would like to see a supercharged or triple charged (one supercharger, two turbos) BMW V8 with D4S.

#19 ·
Several years ago at a BMW rally for the F800 bikes in Fontana NC there was also a Crossfire rally. On car there was fitted with a MB big V8 with a supercharger conventionally mounted and a turbo mounted back near the muffler to pre charge the supercharger. As you might imagine he didn't quite have the fuel system programming polished up but what an undertaking!:yikes:

One of the attractions to the Fontana area is Deals Gap, aka, the Dragon, a well know biker and driver's road. To my chagrin, the autos were the real daredevils through the Dragon.

SP, how would you imagine the triple charger lay out?

Regards,

#27 ·
I see both gross weight and kerb weights and they are different. What's up with that?

Regards,

#28 ·
Generally, kerb weight is when empty and gross is with passengers etc

But BMW's unladen weight can be "The figure quoted includes a 90 per cent tank filling,  68 kg for the driver and 7 kg for luggage.
Unladen weight applies to vehicles with standard equipment. Optional equipment may
increase this figure."

#34 ·
^ So runflats are your excuse for the almost 300 lb weight difference? Are you forgetting that the A8 even has AWD with that ridiculous weight difference?

Stuff like Nappa leather, navigation, iPod/USB are already standard on the A8... It's a porker, no matter how you try to make the numbers work in your favor. Simple as that.

That being said, you have earned a spot on the coveted Ignore List***8482;. Your constant ignorance and baiting are waste of everyone's time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.