BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How do we feel about the new 4 Series Concept?

7K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  southern6er22 
#1 ·
Looking at the new 4 series it looks like it is a baby 6 series... All the way down to the interior... How do we feel about it?.

I was on another forum and some of the comments were basically that the 6 was ugly and the 4 was beautiful and I couldn't understand since the 4 is just a mini 6.. Lol.. Go figure...

I am worried about the exclusivity of the 6.. The last generation 6 stood out from the rest of the BMW Lineup.. With the new 4 will the 6 get lost in the shuffle?..

#2 ·
Side views of the 4 look pretty good.
But the front and rear are not so attractive to me.
I don't know how big it is but I assume its bigger than the 3. That's good imo because I always thought the 3 series was too small for its price point. The 3 has grown to 182 inches and I hope the 4 isn't too much bigger. 184-186 would be great. That should provide lots of leg room for taller men.

#3 ·
You beat me to starting this thread. lol

I like the 4 Series concept, and I think the production version will likely be brilliant. I think that this will be a good competitor for the E-Class coupe, which, to me, has always seemed like more than a 3er but a lot less than a 6er.

I love the new headlights - I'm a sucker for those LEDs. The interior, while better than the plasticky (albeit higher grade plastic than most cars) 3 Series, doesn't quite stack up to competing with the 6er when fitted with the Nappa, contrast stitching, and ceramic controls.

I don't think the 6er has to worry about losing its price...

1. Price: It should be a lot closer to 3er/5er price than the ridiculous 6er price, which, as we all know, is about $15k to $20k more than the equivalent 5 Series. The number of 4ers on the road will likely dilute the exclusivity - or at least keep the numbers closer to 3er territory than the scarce 6ers.

2. Looks: While I think the new design for the 4er is beautiful, the massive, long and low 6er can't be beat in a car so much smaller. The proportions of the 6er give it presence that smaller cars can't touch.

3. Power: I, and I think others here, love the big, grumbly V8 only available on the 6er. I know the day is coming where big V8s are going to be extremely rare, and I think the flagship 6er is likely going to be one of the last cars in the Bimmer lineup to hold onto the V8.

That being said, I think the M4 in Individual packaging just might be my next car - not sure but it's more likely now than with the previous gen M3. I love the M3 for driving, but the M3's interior just didn't cut it. The inline 6 for the new M3/M4 is rumored to make about 450+ hp, and that packaged into a lighter, more nimble car with Merino, Alcantara, and the best tech BMW has to offer is very tempting, particularly if it stays in the $80k to $90k range. But then there's the M5... No idea what my next car will be, but my point is that I think the M4 is going to be a formidable vehicle.

#4 ·
Gotta say that I agree with you Southern... Love the looks, presence, and grumbly v8 on my 6... I'm a sucker for a big GT car and a full size SUV like the all new Range Rover or SAV like the X6.. The way I see things I will always have one of those two types of vehicles if not both.. I honestly wouldn't consider a 4er..

The more and more I think about it. BMW targets two totally different segments for these cars.. The folks that they are marketed to love them. Which is a triumph all in itself for BMW..

#5 ·
The more and more I think about it. BMW targets two totally different segments for these cars.. The folks that they are marketed to love them. Which is a triumph all in itself for BMW..
Yeah... I don't mean to sound too much of a snob, but I think the slightest whiff of 3er would turn me off to it after having my 6er. Nothing wrong with the 3er/4er, but, as you said, different groups are being targeted, and, as a daily driver, I don't think I could give up the luxury and looks of the 6er. M4 for a fun second vehicle would be awesome.

#6 ·
4er is going to be geared to a younger crowd much like the current 3er coupe. 6er will always be much more exclusive. One thing that does bother me is that the interior and exterior styling is getting very similar between the different models. I was way behind an F30 and I had to get real close to be able to distinguish it from an F10. This is a trend that is being shared by most manufacturers these days, not just BMW. I completely understand different models sharing engines as that can drastically reduce R&D but please let there be some styling distinction between different models.

#8 · (Edited)
I like it and I'm planning to get the M4 convertible version of it. Sure doesn't have the luxury of the 6er which I don't think it needs since as hammadurb said it's targeted towards the younger crowd which to my surprise you Southern6er22 is one of their main targets but again you always said that you are an old man trapped in a young man body :rofl:

#9 ·
To my surprise you Southern6er22 is one of their main targets but again you always said that you are an old man trapped in a young man body :rofl:
It's the truth! I sometimes feel guilty for driving a 6er as I feel that I am undercutting its flagship status with my age lol. However, the reactions I get from people are pretty priceless when they realize the car's mine. Just one more reason 6er ownership is amazing. :)

#10 ·
Initially, she's a nice looking car. I don't care for the interior (but it IS a concept car at this point...). It doesn't stand out from a 3er coup. Yes, yes - it has distinct front and rear looks, but when you stand back and quickly look at it, anyone other than enthusiasts will not be able to tell that's a 4er coupe vs a 3er coupe.

For example - the 3er coupe and vert (back at the end of the e30 days and the start of the e36 days) stood out. They even had some exclusivity. I had a 318i manual and I was the SH** to alot of people. Today, my wife doesn't even notice a 3er (I do, of course. But, again, enthusiast vs non).

Not sure why we need a *4* series at all. I mean a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6GC, 7... that's alot of market confusion. What's next? a 7 coupe? a 1GC? ;)

#11 ·
Initially, she's a nice looking car. I don't care for the interior (but it IS a concept car at this point...).
The interior looks easily superior to the old 3 and the F30 with the Alcantara and sculpted/Nappa-wrapped dash. The basket weave cup holders are a bit much, but I doubt they'll make it to the production version. I just have this vision of an Opal White cup holder containing a mocha, cornering a bit too hard, and...

Has anyone else noticed that some of the woods on the 3 Series look a bit fake/cheap? I don't know if they're using real wood or fake composites, but one of the lighter woods I saw on a 3er looked like a big sheet of molded plastic. While I appreciate the variety from the traditional burl walnut, it just didn't look as sophisticated. The wood on this Concept 4er looks similar to the wood I'm thinking of - just darker - but I'll reserve judgment until I can see one in person.

They even had some exclusivity. I had a 318i manual and I was the SH** to alot of people. Today, my wife doesn't even notice a 3er (I do, of course. But, again, enthusiast vs non).
This, I think, is one more reason why the 6 doesn't have to worry about the 4 taking its title. The 6 is noticed by everyone. Takes a pretty special car to get the thumbs up from the guy in the Bentley GTC next to you at the stoplight. When choosing between the 650i, XKR, and 911, the BMW badge was easily the most common thanks to the immense number of 1s, 3s, 5s, and X5s. However, common as the Roundel may be, the 6er has a presence that can't be matched by its little brothers. The fact that only 1.4% of BMWs sold in 2012 wore the 6er badge gives the car exclusivity that it really hard to find outside of the exotics.

Not sure why we need a *4* series at all. I mean a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6GC, 7... that's alot of market confusion. What's next? a 7 coupe? a 1GC? ;)
I'm ready for the resurrection of the 8 Series coupe, preferably as the M8 supercar, but I agree they're getting a little too excited with their new badging.

The 1 Series has more leg room than the 6er coupe, so why not make a 1 Series Gran Coupe?!? lol.

#12 ·
I think it looks fantastic, at least in concept form. (Oh, those headlights!)

#13 ·
Maybe it's just me but I'm not digging the 4's interior aka F30's interior. The lines on the dash just doesn't flow. The pop-up style screen seems out of place. The E90/E92's dash was much more coherent. You can't compare the 4's interior to the 6. That's where the price difference speaks. The exterior of the 4 is sexy.

#14 ·
#15 ·
#16 ·
I am a little confused by this, so there is going to be a 4 coupe and 4 gran coupe and the interior seems pretty comparable to the 6 series. Are they planning on stepping up the luxury on the 6 series? If not it seems like the 4 will very much eat into the 6er sales.

#19 ·
As long as it remains a "baby," I think the 6er won't have to worry about being dethroned. Sure, some will think that a 6 doesn't make good money sense if you can get so much out of a 4, but value has nothing to do with the 6er. The difference between a $60k car and a $100k car is enough to keep the 6er volume at a minimum, especially compared to a 3 Series - because, lets face it, the 4er is just the new 3er coupe that BMW is marketing as being more exclusive because its a coupe and it costs $2000 to $3000 more than it's 4-door brother. To the 3er market, $2k is a noticeable sum of money; to the 6er, $2k won't even get you Bang & Olufsen or the pretty, pretty headlights.

Furthermore, I doubt that BMW will make Nappa available on the 4er (though I could be mistaken), so the only way to get 6er levels of luxury is through Individual. Individual cars are so rare (particularly in the lower Series) that they can hardly be lumped into the 3/4 category.

Also, while the 4er looks striking in its concept form, will it be as dramatic once it comes off the production line? The F30 looks very, very different for being such a close relative. I can see the LEDs staying to make the case that the 4 >> 3, but I think they'll tame the beast before sending it off to market.

I would say that making the 4er so much different from the 3er would likely p!ss off the new 3er customers, but we've well established that BMW takes the "we did it because we can" line when it comes to these types of decisions.

#22 ·
Ready for it

I love my 6er but the wife says it is too big. She drives the F10 now but would like a smaller car. The 4er looks like it would fit the bill. She says the 3er is too small. If they'll put a V8 in that baby and fix the interior, I'd let her put in the garage pronto.:)

#23 ·
I love my 6er but the wife says it is too big. She drives the F10 now but would like a smaller car. The 4er looks like it would fit the bill. She says the 3er is too small. If they'll put a V8 in that baby and fix the interior, I'd let her put in the garage pronto.:)
I can't see a V8 coming to it, but a 450+ hp 6-cylinder turbo seems likely. I'd go for that. I won't discriminate based on cylinders so long as they do the job. :)

#25 ·
I can't wait for the carbon fiber body to come in the semi-near future. The weight of these cars is one of the biggest hurdles preventing near super car level performance. You've got the F13 M6 doing 0-60 in 3.8 seconds per some reports, and the 458 and MP4-12C about 0.5 seconds faster. Sure, the drivetrain tech and systems getting the power to the pavement help these cars along, but CFRP goes a long way in affording the power to weight ratios that make those cars so beastly. The M3 is pretty agile and chuckable as it is, so I can only imagine what it can do post-Atkins.

#27 ·
Just wait until BMW releases the 6er Touring version very soon lol (late 2013 I believe).

You will welcome the 4er with open arms after that.
Is that the shooting brake/station wagon thingy? I'm way too American to understand that one...

Kinda like the R Class Merc - trim it with walnut and leather and give it a three pointed star, but it's still a minivan.

It's almost like BMW is making sure that you have an option for every stage in life:

Starter car: 1st v. X3
Mid-20s: 3er
Late 20s/Early 30s: 4er v. Z4 v. i3 (for the tree huggers who wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius)
Kid Carrier: X5 v. 3er Wagon
Late 30s/Early 40s: 5er
Late 40s/Early 50s: 6er v. 7er v. i8

The future FWD cars have intentionally been left off of the list...

#28 · (Edited)
Just in case you guys forgot...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630161

Talk about diluting a model, ugh-ly

Back to the new 4er, I think it looks really nice if you're into the small coupes and I would consider one if I was. I happen to like big GT coupes though. MB CL Class is another one I love.

On a side note, I heard BMW is gonna start making the 6er with the conjoined grille/headlights like the current F30 has and sooner than the LCI. I think it's a cool looking design so I'm not upset about it. This wasn't a very reputable source though. It came from my cousin who owns a leasing/financing company that specializes in high end cars, and is a fan and owner of German high end cars, so take it as you will.

#29 ·
#30 ·
Just in case you guys forgot...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630161

Talk about diluting a model, ugh-ly
I hear the 6er super stretch limo is coming soon... How big can they make this car?!? I understand and appreciate the 6 GC, but really?!? The tradition I'd the 6er is a flagship coupe. 4- door coupe? Okay, it works and looks damn good. I'm not sold on the flagship coupe being transformed into a station wagon. "Wagoning" the 5er makes more sense to me.

On a side note, I heard BMW is gonna start making the 6er with the conjoined grille/headlights like the current F30 has and sooner than the LCI. I think it's a cool looking design so I'm not upset about it. This wasn't a very reputable source though. It came from my cousin who owns a leasing/financing company that specializes in high end cars, and is a fan and owner of German high end cars, so take it as you will.
Pics of the M6 GC look like the regular GC, which looks like the 2012 coupe. By the time the M6 GC makes it to market the regular F12/13 will almost be up for LCI. I find it hard to believe that the first year of the M6 GC will look outdated in such a short period of time if they make that drastic change to the front of the 6er. That being said, I was convinced that BMW wouldn't give the '13s the more powerful engine, so I apparently know nothing - and BMW sent me a patronizing gift to prove it :)

#37 ·
Hey XZ,
Any insights in the new engine you can share with us 12' owners?.. Is it really that much better?.. Lol.. Probably is but just wanted some specifics...
I had no complaints with the "old" engine in my '12 Coupe(s). Sure, the extra HP is noticeable, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me. Mostly, I was just giving Southern a little sh!t.

#35 · (Edited)
Let's Take the awesome CTS-V and delute that ride all the way to the ATS....

Well Bang.......looks like we have the reincarnated 4'er.

#41 ·
+1. BMW has established the 6 as the flagship and knows that we'll keep buying them because of the whole 6er package, even if the 4 coupe offers many features of the 6 at a significant discount. The 4 allows BMW to attract a bigger customer base and hook them early so they grow to purchase 6ers later in life.

The days of the 6 and 7 having exclusive tech unavailable to the 3/4 seem to be behind us. Good for growing a customer base, bad for making the high end cars seem as uncontainable to the masses (which was once a given in a $100k car).

I'm not saying that the 6 is a 4 with the badge being its only benefit, but the distinction between models seems to be closing in at a rapid pace.

#45 ·
By the way, when I was at the BMW dealership the other day, I saw an F30 335i M-Sport on the lot.

Do you guys know that even the F30 M-Sport gets the new M style steering wheel (like the M6 has).

I don't know about you guys but that's pretty upsetting. I love that steering wheel.

Land vehicle Vehicle Steering part Car Steering wheel

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

#54 ·
Do you guys know that even the F30 M-Sport gets the new M style steering wheel (like the M6 has).

I don't know about you guys but that's pretty upsetting. I love that steering wheel.
For those of us who respond favorably to visual aids: non-M Sport 6er, M Sport 6er, M6, M Sport F30 3er.

Attachments

#46 ·
I do like the new wheel, but ours is still pretty nice - far superior to the non-M Sport wheel that comparatively feels hard and thin. Visually, the new M wheel does win given the lack of the textured plastic middle portion that really should be covered in Nappa. I'll let y'all know how the two compare driving after I spend a couple days with an M6. 18 DAYS TO GO! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.