BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Emissions related fault Service engine soon!"

9K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  riff 
#1 ·
I found this on my 03 745 Li today, and i know there is some threads on this topic, I did not plug it up to check on any codes thats my next step, but I'm going change my oil for $99 tomorrow at NorthHouston Beemer that's an independent Mechanic shop, I wonder should i check my hoses before i go up their found a thread were someone said it was his middle air duct tube, I have that extended warranty thru a third party that i got from Advantage BMW in Houston, question will this warranty cover anything like could be causing this problem I have read it could be many things, thanks for reading and helping, also had a another msg stating the oil was low something said top off something like that car has about 85,000 car was kept up from my research.:mad:

#2 ·
Does it smoke after sitting at idle for a while? The valve stem seals are known to be in issue on these cars, as is coking of the secondary air passages in the heads which cause the secondary air codes to come up (P0491, etc..) luckily the emissions issue can be resolved with software, but the valve stem seals are a grand or two if you don't do the work yourself.. more depending on who you go to..

#3 ·
Service engine soon yellow light came on also on mine ....emissions related fault ..... i read the thread. Could be loose gas cap or loose hoses on intake manifold, stuck thermostat, oxygen sensor.
PAPER - do you have time to read the actual fault code? I'm good anytime this week! Thanks!

#4 ·
Update on Emissions related fault

So i was telling you guys about my lil problem, I brought it to North Houston Beemer here in Houston,TX these guys are good and up front and show and explain the problem, but here's the problem after they ran it thru a series of test, some white smoke comes out the back when u get on it and after it idles a little, they talking about some value heads getting carbon inside and they show me where its located stating they have to be taken out, thanks fellas oh and the warranty covers it good news, he said he BMW was gonna do it they would charge about 10,000 to do, he said he would have to get in the engine but the work will take a couple days, an inspector from the extended warranty company must verify thats the problem but my Tech at NHBEEMER knows his stuff, so the extended warranty will put me in a rental plus fix the problem, what u guys think about that, when the tech sat in the car while in park and got on the gas we all saw smoke come out the tail end, and before i even got the oil changed, another msg came op on dash saying oil low, please add oil.

#5 ·
So i was telling you guys about my lil problem, I brought it to North Houston Beemer here in Houston,TX these guys are good and up front and show and explain the problem, but here's the problem after they ran it thru a series of test, some white smoke comes out the back when u get on it and after it idles a little, they talking about some value heads getting carbon inside and they show me where its located stating they have to be taken out, thanks fellas oh and the warranty covers it good news, he said he BMW was gonna do it they would charge about 10,000 to do, he said he would have to get in the engine but the work will take a couple days, an inspector from the extended warranty company must verify thats the problem but my Tech at NHBEEMER knows his stuff, so the extended warranty will put me in a rental plus fix the problem, what u guys think about that, when the tech sat in the car while in park and got on the gas we all saw smoke come out the tail end, and before i even got the oil changed, another msg came op on dash saying oil low, please add oil.

#8 ·
Update on Emissions related fault(Thanks NHBeemer)

Ok friends and fellow BMW owners I got my car back today and the guys at NorthHouston Beemer took card of the problem they replaced the valve gasket, bolts, pan redone the heads looks brand new, this would have cost me close to 5,000, i walked out only paying 378.00 had to pay 200.00 deductable, and they replaced and seal around the oil, i was not in a rush to get the car, so i told them take their time, i don't believe in rushing people, but I included pics on the work, before and after pics, I will break down all what they did

Attachments

#11 ·
My problem solved(what caused smoke)

After they went thru it they found out that both cylinder heads were leaking oil thru valve guides, so they replaced valve guides, replaced both cylinder heads gasket sets and all the seals, this included head bolts head gaskets, steel gasket and head gasket set, replaced the oil and coolant, no more smoke, also replaced oil filter, torx bolt, central bolt, valley pan, 2 O Rings and a Pipe, These guys at NH Beemer gained my trust

#15 ·
After they went thru it they found out that both cylinder heads were leaking oil thru valve guides, so they replaced valve guides, replaced both cylinder heads gasket sets and all the seals, this included head bolts head gaskets, steel gasket and head gasket set, replaced the oil and coolant, no more smoke, also replaced oil filter, torx bolt, central bolt, valley pan, 2 O Rings and a Pipe, These guys at NH Beemer gained my trust
Hi

I'm in NH (and have a similar issue). Would you tell where NH Beemer is located?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#12 ·
What is the company you have the extended warranty through and how much did it run you if you dont mind me asking?

#14 ·
Good morning the extended warranty I purchased from Advantage BMW was the MAP "motor assistant plan" i got the full coverage Platinum which covers everything, the most they will charge is a $200. deductible meaning if 1 thing is wrong that's a $100.00 2 things wrong $200 3 to 4 things wrong the most they will charge is $200.00 hope that explains it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.