BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Winter tires for CT

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Yomama 
#1 ·
Hate starting a new thread as there appear to be many on this subject. i stopped at Town Fair Tire, a regional tire/wheel dealer in New England, and asked for a recommendation on snow tires. They were pushing: Champiro WT-AX. Cost with mounting, balancing taxes etc is $612 ($125 a tire+ the other stuff).

I have never heard of this brand. The guy said they are the 9th largest tire manufacturer in thw world, the tires are V speed rated (better than the recommend H).

Anybody have any experience with these. There was very little on the web that I could find in the way of reviews.

#2 ·
I wouldn't go back to TFT...as they sell to the price point and not the tire! You might end up hating your X3 only b/c of the tires. If you do a lot of driving up into VT/NH/ME/NY for skiing, etc. and still need something for the dry pavement/slushy snow driving in CT I would recommend Nokian Tyres...Hakkapeliitta R. My first set of snows were bought on a budget...and I hated the tires/car & myself for it...these are worth every penny...but don't come cheap! BTW...I wouldn't worry about speed rating if you plan on putting your all seasons back on after winter!

#3 ·
....... You might end up hating your X3 only b/c of the tires. ......... for the dry pavement/slushy snow driving in CT I would recommend Nokian Tyres..
+1

Champiro is based in Singapore and for years has been a popular choice for inexpensive tires throughout Indonesia, Australia and Europe.

That's why they may be the 9th. biggest tire maker in the world.

Have been marketed in N. America for at least 10 years but haven't caught on much.

Not a good choice for the X3 IMHO.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advise. I went to Costco and ordered the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70. $650 out the door, although I think they are going to charge me something for the TPMS sensors. Big sign that the batteries are designed to last 5 years. Car is a 2006.

Anybody driving on the same tires? Good/Bad?

Thanks

#5 ·
I have Conti Winter Contact on my x3 and ws-70 on my G37xs, on Dry or wet Conti seem to be better or maybe its the G that is tail happy. no snow this year so far here so cant tell on snow performance.
if you want ultimate show/ice performance WS-70 is a great choice, they ride nice, there is a little tire noise but its to be expected.
i did not add TPMS to neither of my cars.

#8 ·
H Champiro WT-AX. Cost with mounting, balancing taxes etc is $612 ($125 a tire+ the other stuff).

I have never heard of this brand. The guy said they are the 9th largest tire manufacturer in thw world, the tires are V speed rated (better than the recommend H).

An.
Without googling it, I thought Champiro was an Indonesian brand, not a Singaporean brand. Maybe ok for a cheap car but for a BMW X3, I'd stick with the best snow tires possible which might be Nokian Hakkapeliitta R, Michelin X-Ice Xi3, Continental ExtremeWinterContact, Bridgestone Blizzak WS70, etc. There are winter performance tires but I prefer to get the best snow traction possible for 3-4 months of the year rather than cut corners.

#9 ·
Michigan April here-
Finally breaking down and getting myself a brand spankin' new set of Michelin Defenders! rim size 17. Supposedly REALLY good for our michigan winters! Also, a warranty of 90,000 miles on them! ;)
Out the door price at Discount Tires here in Traverse City, MI- 817.00, with a rebate of 100.00 it brings it down to 717.00.
Guess I'm getting new tires for Christmas!
Merry early Christmas ya'll, happy off-roading!

#14 · (Edited)
Let it snow. Let it snow. Let it snow.

Only drove them 30 miles back from the shop but they felt good and I didn't really notice any significant change in road noise compared to the Michelin Pilots I had on. They also seem to have softened the ride a bit.

I know, I gotta clean those wheels. That brake dust seems never ending :-(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.