BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Need to find this or fit somehow.

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Splitdog 
#1 ·
Ok I can find all other gaskets/weatherstrip but cannot find this one piece. (two if one for each side) Any ideas on where to get or a way to fix with something else. I have the upper windshield strip on order. Would like to fix all at the same time. At least what is it called to make my search easier?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Another image taken back a bit further would have given more perspective...I can't tell if its your front or rear windshield. For a minute I thought was the trim around the rear door that goes into the Hofmeister kink...but then you do mention a gasket for your windshield....so I'm lost as to where this is located on your car. :)

#3 · (Edited)
Goes around all side windows. best I can think of is what would normally be the drip rail. This is above the side window opening and looks like just a filler piece. Not sure what the purpose is other than to fill that gap. Does not touch the door. Just fills the crack between roof and side window/door molding. Looks kind of like a very long strip of windshield wiper rubber. Kind of odd. 2001 740i Sport.

#4 · (Edited)
I know exactly what you are talking about. Mine is same...no leaks or noises and no one but me seems to notice it. It is driving me crazy. I am going on an intense hunt now that you pushed my buttons. Maybe someone will tell us what it is called, but I am starting my search for e38 body seals and see what happens. Thanks...I think!:)

#5 ·
thats the rear window drip trim...Costs a $*tload at the stealership $235 each
u can goto the junkyard but its a needle in the haystack finding 1 with good rubber.. That rubber on the drip rails are frail and Cheap..Had they made the drip rail with the rubber on the door outer top trim they would of last forever.....I tired cutting the door upper door trim off and gluing it to the drip rail with some success....

#6 · (Edited)
Ya I cant find anyplace. Any one have a working hack they did ? Possibly will end up seeing if I can find some extruded rubber I can stuff in there just big enough it wont come out when at speed. Just wonder if it is designed to channel water or what. :confused:

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
It's #3 in the diagram (and you need the one with SCHWARZ in the supplemental column (BMW part nbr 51 13 8 208 405/406 left/right)...that is if you have the sport pkg & have shadowline trim).

To find them (other than your local BMW dealership's parts dept...type "BMW xx xx x xxx xxx" (where x=the 11 digit BMW part nbr) into a google search box.

To find DIYs, try www.e38.org and scroll down the page or do a page search (Ctrl+F) using "drip rail" as your search word.

#11 · (Edited)
Ah found what I needed. Looks like I cannot just relace that rubber backer part. http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/cyclops/BMW 740iL Drip Rail Installation Procedure.pdf

I will find a way. Prob breaking a rule pasting that here. ;)
Just to clarify for others that may be reading this thread and are looking for the same solution...the PDF you found as well as the BMW part nbr and item in the diagram I gave in post #7 is correct.

Just remember, there are 3 different sets of part nbrs based on how your e38 is optioned.

The OP has shadowline trim...so the BMW part nbrs listed in post #7 is correct for the OP's "schwarz" trim. The chromeline trim's part nbr is listed in the PDF...and if you have a 750iL with gloss shadowline trim...then when you pull up the diagram (that's in post #7)...when you look at the part nbr index below that diagram, use the part nbrs listed for #3 that have "schwarz glanz" in the supplemental column (gloss black).

Hope this clarifies any question anyone has. :)

#10 ·
Qsilver7 is correct- the rubber seal and the chrome/black metal trim are sold as one part (3), and IIRC are bonded togetether, which is why you don't find a replacement. Some people have run a bead of sealant there to improve appearance, but you have to be careful as there is a drain behind.

#12 ·
I have that rubber. I have to buy it by the 100' roll. It just presses in and is a perfect fit. After you see how it is, you'll want to go all the way to the front, instead of just 2' around the rear side window. I did and I like it. So did a few of the guys in the Society of 7. I would send enough to go all the way on both sides for $35 shipped. But it cannot go all the way to the front cowl, because the channel adjacent to the front windshield is too narrow. So you cut the end on an angle at the top of the A pillar and it looks great. Here is a pic:

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive window part

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Auto part

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.