BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How to send new 2014 google maps to bmw

4K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  ErnestHouse 
#1 ·
I had sent a email to BMW of North American LLC, to ask them a question, how to use the NEW Maps Google with the New Google maps format, having lost this ability sometime back in February 2014. This can be done, both as a Google member or as a Non-Member. Before I touch on that set of Google maps instructions, I would like to point out for anyone reading this post, you can go to the website www.BMWUSA.com and once on the site opens, look down to the lower right for "You Tube" Videos and click on the car shown.
Please note under each of about 7 or so pictures are a list of videos. Please watch and learn more about your BMW. You may find as many as 25 videos under just one of the pictures listed as a topic on that website.

Here is the NEW MAPS.GOOGLE step-by-step on how to send Maps Google to your BMW. Yes!... you must be a member of BMW Assist to use
To send Google Maps directions to your vehicle, please following the steps as shown:

First open the link to https://www.google.com/maps/preview
Step two "the Question Mark (?) in the bottom right-hand corner of the map." is the key to doing this.
step three. mouse tip onto 'Return to Classic Google Maps' from the menu that appears. DO NOT CHECK ANY BOXIES, but again click on Return to classic Google Maps.
Step four. select and move your directions as you want them sent to your BMW. Enter the addresses point "A" to Point "B".
Step five mouse tap or Select 'More'.
Step six mouse tip or Select 'Send' from the drop down menu.
Step Seven mouse tap or Select 'Car'.

Final step, mouse tap or select your vehicle (BMW) and input your BMW Assist login information.

You must be a member of BMW Assist to use this function and a yearly fee is charged. please contact BMW Assist via telephone at 1-888-333-6118 for security purposes. Once you dial, please select option six on the BMW Assist menu to reach an associate. They are available 24 hours a day to answer your inquiries. Hope this information is helpful to you as we return to Google Maps for directions.:thumbup:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I may have gotten ahead of myself in writing the title of this thread. NEW Google Maps format has not included sending maps to cars. So by clicking on the question mark "?" will return you to the old GOOGLE MAPS and following the same old instructions as we did in the first Google Maps. Soon there may be a change to come as I understand a report had been made to Google. But for now we will have to fellow the steps to the old Google Maps for a vehicle maps. As for maps I like taking off beat roads, true a little longer, but hey I'm in my Bimmer and Happy enjoing the roads, as I change the directions as I want them in Google Maps. Still a wonderful tool, sending and creating maps to car.

If anyone should see an appearance of send to car in the NEW GOOGLE MAPS. Please be so kind as to let me know. Thanks in-Advance.

#4 ·
Interesting note, not a fan of downloading more stuff. But if downloading Google Chrome has the new fix needed to send to car as your image reflects, then I'm am sure more users will be checking it out own there own. Good Work Lexhair, Thanks for the tip....

#5 · (Edited)
Works fine with the new Google maps. Using Google Chrome (latest on a Mac). In full disclosure, I am signed into google and have a gmail address listed as my BWM Assist email. ...
I don't get Send to Car when I am logged into Google and use the "New Maps". Do you think you have to use a gmail account and the gmail account also be your BMW Assist account?

I'm using Firefox on a Mac and my BMW assist email is not a gmail account. Nor is my Google account for that matter.

Attachments

#11 ·
But how does Google even know about my BMW assist account? I went all through the Google profile and there's nothing there to associate the Google account to my BMW Assist account. FUrther, if you search "New Google Maps Send to Car", all you get are articles and discussion saying it's missing.

#12 ·
I guess you didn't read the first bullet in the link above. Google Maps (as well as most other of their products) provide an API (advanced programming interface). BMW Assist likely "hooks" into the Google Maps API for authentication for the Send to Car function. "Send to Car" is probably a BMW Assist function (they want to control access to your car and not allow Google to do it) rather than a Google function. It also appears that the "hook" is not user definable or accessible and that is probably because BMW wants it that way.

#18 ·
I thought lexhair was complimenting you Ernest... Preferred Important Person = PIP, in my lexicon ;)

Your proper response should have been the classic Smothers Brothers, "Thank you" to which the reply is, "That was not a compliment!" Lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.