BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Hellrot Turbo Build and eventual LS Swap!

Tags
:3
312K views 2K replies 105 participants last post by  hornhospital 
#1 ·
Well ladies and gentlemen, it has begun. This morning at 8am, we started.

Phil gave me the inspiration with his cooling system thread, so I didn't take pictures. (Actually I forgot my camera) but you can all imagine what it was like :rofl:

First, compression check, 190-200 psi on all cylinders, I was very impressed! :thumbup: Especially for 195,000 miles. BMW makes great I6s! Not that anyone didn't know that...

Removed intake manifold, all exhaust, cams, radiator, bumper, cams, and finally the head.

Cylinder walls were in good condition, obviously they looked like it had many miles, but it was very well taken care of.

Mounted T3 manifold and turbo, mocked up downpipe, intercooler.

Next we will put in the .140 MLS headgasket, tighten up manifold and turbo, make exhaust, intercooling piping, and ect.

But, I am leaving for New Orleans on Friday, so it won't be done untill after I get back :thumbdwn:

I'm getting very excited already!

I will have pics next time I work on it, as for now, I am going to sand blast the valve cover, and repaint it.

See less See more
#49 ·
:bustingup

#52 ·
wow.... this thread just cunfused the SheT out of me.....

And any Progress??
What are you confused about man?

I'm happy to answer any and all questions I can.

No, except injectors came in and I'm hoping to start it next weekend. :D

I may be able to work on it later tonight but I will have to see.

#54 ·
So...got some more work done tonight, but forgot my f!#@@ing camera again! I charged the batteries a while before, but just slipped my mind. Cell phone quality, here we go again.

Also I'm sorry because a few of the pictures are blurry on top of fuzzy.

Wiring up the boost and air to fuel gauges, three more going in the sunglass holders, didn't get to them tonight. Sodering and running wires properly takes time!

And some more.

Didn't turn out too ricey, used push clips to hold them in. No pictures of them lit up yet, engine isn't finished so the battery is still disconected.

Outside view.

Oil pressure sender.

Water temp sender, drilled and tapped into thermostat housing.

Messy, ugly, torn apart interior, might as well start installing my black carpet.

Bumper support plasma cut for intercooler.

Front view of turbo. Stealth baby.

I promise to bring my camera with me on Sunday and take massive amounts of pictures. Actually, Frank, text me early in the morning Sunday. Like 7 am eastern time to remind me. There should be fire in the cylinders by then, then a couple things to button up. Hopefully it's ready to go by next weekend! :thumbup:

#59 ·
hey fool, you better as hell break that sh!t in if needed. I dont want you to end up like a friend here. Blowing motors left and right after rebuilds and tuning. Also sounds like Mike :eeps:. :nono:

#68 ·
Fail.....:lmao:

Nice lookin' build dude. :thumbup:

#69 ·
Such a fail :rofl:

But even when I set it to 2 megapixels, it goes back to the lowest resolution when I'm done...wtf. Yea so resolution was 120X160 instead of 1200X1600 :lmao:

Well at least if I forget my camera on Sunday again, I won't have quite as horrid pictures this time around.

Thanks Chad and everyone else! Much more to come!

#70 ·
Well I almost didn't post anything, not due to the fact that I didn't get all I had hoped for done today, not because I didn't try to start the engine today, but because...I forgot my camera AGAIN! :mad: But at least my phone was set to 2MP this time :rofl:

Thanks for texting me Franklyn :rolleyes: :rofl:

Anywho, finished up the gauges, started putting the interior back together, and buttoned up most the the engine, that's about all folks.

Wiring, yuck.

Guages before install, I decided to switch them with the OBC. It looked better, is different, easier to install, and the gauges are easier to read there.

More of the mess.

Wideband and boost

Middle gauges

42# Green top injectors

Engine, getting closer.