BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

CIC Nav Updates Available

15K views 78 replies 24 participants last post by  ard 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I got the same email and ordered last night, after exchanging a couple of emails with one of the guys at Tischer.

Sounds like it should be roughly the same process you could do previously, if you could get ahold of the "shop only" DVDs and an FSC code. The USB stick should plug into the USB port in the glovebox and then one doesn't have to feed 3 DVDs through the player. Should make it even simpler!

FYI, I did get a copy of the DVDs last year and an FSC code via someone that emerged in the forum as someone who could do so. I did get it all done for about half the cost of $235 + shipping. I think it was around $120, when all was said and done.

It was trivially easy to do. You just followed the directions in the iDrive system. Everytime I complete one of the BMW surveys when I have service done and answer the question: What would you like to pass on to BMW Engineering? (or some question like that...), I tell them they should offer a DIY map update for $50. They've already got the DIY part nailed, they just need to quit using map updates as a reason for them and the BMW Service orgs. to make a killing on it. (They have plenty of opportunities to make a killing already!)

#7 ·
Just for giggles, called my dealer and one closer to ask about this. My dealer parts didn't know the 2013 maps were out, and insisted the only way to get the update was through programming upload via service. Service department insisted only way to do updates was via DVD bought through parts. When I told them they were giving mixed messages, they suggested I visit bmw.com and find some random software update site.....clearly don't know what they're doing. I fear for those trying to get upgrades there.

I called local dealer #2, they sell the same package for same price as offered at Tischer - they'll give USB for same price to do the upgrade yourself, or have you bring vehicle in and they'll do the programming upgrade for same $235.. Given they're close, I ordered and will just pick up the USB stick and let it run while I drive home.....

#8 ·
Good to know!

I was making the assumption that BMW hadn't lostened their grip at all on the Nav updates, but if you can buy via your local dealer, they likely have...

It caused me to do a little more research on "leads" that I'd chased last year, but all seemed to have dried up because BMW wasn't yet ready in the US.

And...

You can now go to http://navigation.teleatlas.com/bmwusa and walk yourself through the process to order a USB stick and presumably, an FSC code, to do it yourself. Price seems to be the MSRP price of $245, so Tischer saves you a bit and then local BMW dealers might vary the prices a bit.

Most likely, this hasn't leaked out to all of the dealers very well as yet. I know my local dealer has a parts guy that has stayed up on this in the past. He was expecting something like this to have happened last year, but it didn't, so I went a different route. Looks like BMWNA moved it ahead a bit finally.

Like many in the forum, Tischer has been a good source in the past, but I was so excited yesterday that a decent offering has emerged that I didn't check locally. Wish I would have now, as with my usual discount at my local dealer (BMWCCA membership discount), I could have saved a few more dollars by ordering locally.

It's still about the price of a really good, new TomTom, but I don't like the look of the clutter of the separate systems.

#12 · (Edited)
I doubt it, since 2013 Maps were just released... You can validate by checking under options in the Nav screen...

#11 ·
Will anyone upload the 2013 North America Maps (CIC) for other members??

#16 ·
Does 2013 map fixes weird city identification problem? In San Jose, there is Wesfield Valley Fairmall at 2855 Stevens Creek Blvd., Santa Clara. If you input that address in, the stupid navigator got confused. If you type in the zip code 95050, you will see it is named as Cory which is a neighborhood part of San Jose.

#17 ·
Does anyone know anything about the 2013 Map update supposedly requiring a minimum CIC firmware of 47.5

#18 ·
Dont know, but it should be covered by warranty. They may not SAY that, but at least in the US they have a legal duty to ensure the software is updated to work "properly'...and as they have sold you a car with 'upgradeable' maps, the software must work with those upgrades. if it does not, it is 'defective workmanship'. IMO

A

#20 ·
I recently bought a 2007 X5 and have inquired about updating the NAV software. I found a site bmwnav.net that sells a DVD to update the current program to 2013 for $49.99. I called my local dealer and the DVD they have cost $199.99, part number 65902339012. What is the correct way to get the NAV software updated without causing problems with the system?
Dave

#21 ·
Buy the 49.99 DVD...its a copy of the 199.99 DVD:thumbup:

And to be accurate, you are just inserting the DVD with the updated DATA...the "program" doesnt change, you just want the same system to display updated data (roads, stores, etc)

Now, there may be updates to your navigation system operation that can be done, but if it doesnt bother you, just get the new data.

A

#22 ·
Anyone have the 2013 Maps North America CIC Maps available for forum members...

#23 ·
For those of you interested, I have the 2013 CIC Maps. For some reason can't attach the torrent file for you guys, comes back invalid file even though renamed extension to .txt

Any advice, so I can post for our members?

#24 ·
^^ Im assuming you cannot attach 25GB of data no matter WHAT you call it.

#25 ·
:rofl::rofl:

It's a torrent link which I am trying to attach, which references the download to the 25 GB image.

The link is 218KB :dunno:

#31 · (Edited)
Basically you copy the image to a USB thumb drive, connect it to the USB connector in glove compartment.

#35 ·
To be clear for any Moderators: The data files is NOT copyrighted. We are legally permitted to copy and distribute it. :)

And as a reminder, you still need to buy the FSC Activation Code from BMW to enable the loading of the map data. Multiple sources for the code, cheapest Ive seen was $96.

And last, if you have a 2012, I would NOT buy the fcs code right away- try loading the map, BMW may have already 'enabled' the 2013 map by loading the code at the factory.... (the can enable a map set years before the map data is created, as the FSC code simply enables the loading of a dataset part number ointo a specific vin- as long as they have the future map partnumber, it can be done.)

#43 ·
As other members have mentioned you can get it for 60, so save your 40 dollars for something else.

#45 ·
#49 ·
My dealership installed the 2013 map update under warranty because the 2012 map data was causing the navigation system to malfunction. This is what happened:

I have a 2012 x5d (late September build) and, ever since I took delivery, I noticed that no street names at all would appear on zoom levels 800ft or 1/2 mile, and at 400ft and 200ft, while the street names would appear, they would not appear when the map would regenerate as the car moved (kinda defeats the purpose of a map, eh?). While getting the alternator bolt recall done I asked my dealer to investigate the map issue I was having. The service guys verified my concern. The invoice states: "Found available nav update for vehicle SIB 65 22 12: install road map database 2013. Labor op code 00 61 577." This work and parts were 100% covered by the warranty.

Installing the 2013 map update largely fixed the problem I was having (though the Tom Tom map database still seems skittish compared to the older Navteq data). I imagine that, if any of you can demonstrate a similar flaw with your map database, you may get the 2013 database under warranty. If, however, you have an iDrive system with the Navteq map data, I suggest that you keep it.

#52 ·
What was you model year AND production date?

My 2012, built in oct 2011, came with 2011 map data. I did not need the FSC code, as BMW preloaded that CODE when the built it, even though the map data was not yet released....

Tgb1974...
Good info. Probably don't need to demonstrate the error- just make sure the document it as your complaint, on the work order in writing...then mention the sib to the SA ....they don't need to put the sib in writing, but make sure he passes it on. Should be no skin off their nose if the sib tells them 'if they complain of X, then do Y"

A

#55 ·
#56 ·
#59 ·
I'm having trouble upgrading mine using 32gb stick. I inserted the USB stick to the center console input while the engine was running & nothing happened. I waited for at least 15 min just to make sure but no response at all. all files were saved on root file using FAT32. am I doing it different?

#60 ·
You insert the usb to the glove compartment usb. The center console will not work. Then it will detect the new map when you power up. After flashing, I had to put in new address and drive to it to get rid of a stupid unknown address warning.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.