BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

0-60MPH In 5.4 Seconds for the 2013 Cadillac ATS - Matches F30 335i Time

40K views 54 replies 26 participants last post by  Chris90 
#1 ·
2012 Cadillac ATS 0-60 times match BMW

The 2013 Cadillac ATS is the hot new sports sedan that GM has specifically stated will be a BMW killer. The ATS and it's flat out challenge to the BMW has been meet with excitement and skepticism. The big brother to the ATS, the CTS-V has been stacked up against the BMW M5 (Road & Track M5 vs CTS-V) on more then one occasion.

The first production Cadillac ATS are out and we're getting performance figures that should put all the arguing to an end, or start up a new round of heated discussion between Cadillac and BMW enthusiasts.

Base models of the Cadillac ATS come with a direct-injected, 202-horsepower in-line four that returns a GM-estimated 22 mpg city and 32 mpg highway. The run from 0-60 takes 7.5 seconds, which is slower than the Mercedes C250 Luxury (6.9 seconds) and the Audi A4 Premium (6.3 seconds.).

the 2.0L Turbo Performance ATS, which comes packing a 272-horsepower takes the ATS from 0-60 mph in 5.7 seconds, which is 0.2 seconds quicker than a BMW 3281 2.0L Turbo. In this case, though, the fuel economy nod goes to the BMW, which delivers fuel economy of 23 mpg city and 33 mpg highway, one mpg better in each category than Cadillac projects the ATS will return.

Opt for the 3.6L Premium variant of the ATS, and you'll get a 3.6-liter V-6 engine good for 321 horsepower, enough to propel the fastest ATS from 0-60 mph in just 5.4 seconds. That's the same time put up by the BMW 335i, which comes with a 300-horsepower turbocharged in-line six engine.
The two engine variants that closely match BMW's N20 turbo 4 cylinder and N55 turbo 6 cylinder the Cadillac matches or beats the F30 3 Series. Would you consider trading in your bimmer for a caddy?

Thanks to Motorauthority for the information.

#4 ·
The S4 is also a good deal more expensive to start than either the ATS 3.6 or the 335i.

If it matches the performance of the 335i and comes with more amenities/better interior materials, I expect this to do quite well. Besides, more competition in the segment will keep BMW from just resting on their laurels. Competition never hurts us as consumers!

#6 · (Edited)
Recently I've been finding the S4 to be a little cheaper than the 335 xDrive when similarly optioned. Setting aside BMW's vastly superior lease program.

#7 ·
I'm really glad to see that American Auto Manufacturers are "back in the game." One thing I can say about Cadillac, based on my experience with the CTS, is that many options that run the bill up on a bimmer, come standard with the Caddy.

#8 ·
The competetion is good, keeps everyone on thier toes.
But in the end, it's about much more than just performance numbers.

#19 ·
I would never buy a Caddy. American cars are in a perpetual race to see who can make the biggest front grille and badge. Caddy does really well with that, but watch it, the GM trucks are gaining on the Caddy for 'big face' bragging rights. Seriously, I have not seen an appealing American car in decades. I'll take my 07 760Li and it's quirky personality over a car that reminds me of a rapper that still can't find a big enough necklace to wear...

#20 ·
You've obviously never seen or ridden in a CTS-V, then.

That being said, America has not produced a true full-size flagship sedan like your 7 series in decades. I think we're several years out from that, and it'll take years before they're on par with the Germans in that category. The new 7 series has gotten pretty horrible reviews, though, the A8 spanks it in nearly every category.

I would not compare the ATS or CTS to what rappers rap about (the Escalade). Besides, a lot of German cars (Mercedes G-Class, Mercedes SLS, Audi R8's) show up just as much in hip-hop culture as American luxury SUV's.

#21 ·
That's not all that happens in 5.4 seconds

What else commonly happens on a Cadillac in 5.4 seconds:

The door handle breaks off
The lumbar support gets stuck
The windshield wipers go the wrong direction
The radio is stuck in AM

Besides the persistenly horrible interiors, it's always the stupid stuff that breaks on a GM.

#23 ·
What else commonly happens on a Cadillac in 5.4 seconds:

The door handle breaks off
The lumbar support gets stuck
The windshield wipers go the wrong direction
The radio is stuck in AM

Besides the persistenly horrible interiors, it's always the stupid stuff that breaks on a GM.
Seriously? If anything, it's the Germans that are questionable on reliability these days. All you have to do is look at a 335i (HPFP issues, electronic issues galore) or an Audi A4 (oil leaks, transmission/suspension issues) and see they're not exactly bulletproof vehicles. So much for "German engineering".

If you haven't been inside an ATS interior, go check one out. I saw one the other day, and I've driven both the E90 and F30. It'll floor you how much nicer the base ATS interior is compared to a base 3 series. The F30's base trim is almost pathetic; you have to add $5000 worth of options before it even begins to look like a luxury car inside.

#22 ·
Even if the ATS is a killer car, I think they misjudge their market with the styling, interior and exterior. It's too garish, and I don't think a lot of people driving 3ers, A4s, and C-class cars will like it.

Same with the CTS - it's a nice car by all accounts, but I don't think Cadillac is selling them to German car drivers as much as to Cadillac people.

#35 ·
Although the Cadillac forums don't get the traffic you'll find on bimmerfest, you might be surprised at how many converts there are there. This is seen especially on the CTS boards where former E60 owners, like myself, were very disappointed in the barge that the F10 replacement had become.

#27 ·
^^^ It's ok, I guess I'll have to just keep driving my M3 for a while.

:bigpimp:

#28 ·
Oh, and good luck finding a ATS 3.6l v6 w a 6 speed.

Oh yeah, that's right, not available. :bigpimp:

#29 ·
Oh, and good luck finding a ATS 3.6l v6 w a 6 speed.

Oh yeah, that's right, not available. :bigpimp:
Meh, I'm not really interested in the 3.6, so I could care less. I'm more interested in the 2.0 turbo, anyways. The 3.6 really doesn't have that much better track times than the 2.0, similar to the 335i vs. the 328i.

Of course, I'd take the M3 over all of them, if money weren't an issue :thumbup: The CTS-V is an awesome track car with the magnetic suspension (a friend has a 2010 V and it's incredible), but the interior is getting dated.

#33 ·
2012 Cadillac ATS 0-60 times match BMW

The 2013 Cadillac ATS is the hot new sports sedan that GM has specifically stated will be a BMW killer. The ATS and it's flat out challenge to the BMW has been meet with excitement and skepticism. The big brother to the ATS, the CTS-V has been stacked up against the BMW M5 (Road & Track M5 vs CTS-V) on more then one occasion.

The first production Cadillac ATS are out and we're getting performance figures that should put all the arguing to an end, or start up a new round of heated discussion between Cadillac and BMW enthusiasts.

The two engine variants that closely match BMW's N20 turbo 4 cylinder and N55 turbo 6 cylinder the Cadillac matches or beats the F30 3 Series. Would you consider trading in your bimmer for a caddy?

Thanks to Motorauthority for the information.
0-60 is the most useless statistic ever. What would be useful is 40-80. THAT would be good to know.

#37 ·
Well, I think all of us Bimmerphiles would be nuts to dismiss the ATS. I've seen it and sat in it (3.6L Premium) and the interior is nice, if a little tighter than the F30. Styling will always be subjective, so call that a wash. By early accounts, performance seems to be close. In my opinion, the F30 still has the edge (mpg, 8 speed auto, etc), but the ATS is one hell of a good first effort, and there will definitely be people who cross shop the marques and go for the Cadillac. Just like the A4 and G37 draw some buyers, the ATS will too, especially those looking for a comparable car that is "American". Unless the auto mags absolutely trash the ATS in comparisons (which seems unlikely), then Cadillac will go from nothing to a notable player in one jump.

#46 ·
I wish Cadillac would run less silly commercials for this car. Everything else I've read so far indicates this is a legitimate contender in this segment, so great. The CTS was not a car that interested me when I bought my 3, but if I were to buy today, I'd give the ATS at least a whirl.

#47 · (Edited)
(3.6L vs 335i)

People say that Cadillac's have more standard toys, yet the Cadi doesn't offer Xenons, Rain-Sensing wipers, 18" alloys and a power moonroof as standard. The ATS doesn't offer 19" Alloys, a parking assistant, active cruise control with stop & go, power rear sunshade, manual rear-window sunshades (which if you have children are AMAZING), a hands free trunk, heated rear seats, speed limit information, variable sport steering, automatic high beams, side view cameras, top view cameras, a 12gig music register, a real-time HP/lb.ft display, 3 more cu.ft trunk space, more cabin room all around, more speakers, a bigger display, a much better premium audio option, a better corrosion warranty, a better standard vehicle warranty and higher maintenance intervals (7.5k vs 15k). It isn't as fuel efficient, has less engine technology, less gears and is less fun to drive (personally). Cadillac has gone to great lengths to make sure they copied as many things as possible that the BMW does to try and make their car as good as a 3 Series, but all that means is that they're still trying to catch up. We have 20+ years of being the best in class along with 58 IEotY awards in the past 14 years and I don't see that stopping any time soon.

/end rant

#48 · (Edited)
You would justifying buying a BMW even if it finish last, right? There are intrinsic values in a BMW vs a Caddy. What is more important to you?

Would you rather visit the factory, BMW 335i Munich, Germany or Caddy ATS: Lansing, Michigan:p
Would you rather go to BMW Museum, Munich, Germany or Cadillac in Warren, MI?
Would you want to join the BMW club or Cadilliac club? :eek:
How about the tagline "The Ultimate Driving Machine" or "Mark of Leadership" :rofl:

I can go on and on. BMW has a history of building driving machines. If you like it, why switch to Caddy that symbolizes and builds a car for your grandpa? :confused:

#49 ·
why switch to Caddy that symbolizes and builds a car for your grandpa?
This is the main problem for GM, and i don't think the perception will go away in our lifetimes. Say what you want; the cars are great but the Cadillac brand is a liability against what they are trying to do right now.

IMO, they should have introduced a new brand (like Lexus 20 years ago) and made that their new luxury performance line.

#50 ·
The reason Toyota spawned the Lexus brand was so that the high end luxury cars didn't have to share a showroom with Corollas and pickup trucks. Cadillac is already separate from Chevrolet, so there's no need for a new brand name. Time will take care of perceptions, as long as they keep building quality cars. BMWs current reputation with the non-enthusiast started with the yuppies and E30, and then moved up the chain as the aging yuppies bought bigger and more expensive models - first the E34 and E39, then on to the E60. The CTS is already a good car, and if the ATS sells well, eventually people will be ready for an top end model.

#51 · (Edited)
Maybe. As I see it, the modern auto industry won't give Cadillac the time it will need to turn that corner. Or, more probably, it just won't be as successful as it might have been. It's clear the cars are excellent. There are just a lot of people who won't consider them because they are Cadillacs. I'm one of those people. I'm sure it's my loss.

#52 ·
Cadillac has already turned the corner, and your taxes have helped give it the extra time it needed. As for those that don't like the brand, haters exist for all brands. People tend to overestimate the size of a group when they're a member.

#55 ·
This misconception is already proven wrong in one of the many ATS threads. :D CTS is comparable to 5 series, although you could argue that is pretty bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.