BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sport line now with M Sport steering wheel?

7K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  kpgray 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Ok, I realize this may sound weird but I actually prefer the look of the "regular" sport leather wheel that is SUPPOSED to come with my sport line 335i. Besides I think it's kinda silly to have a wheel with the M logo on a non-M car... and having to explain it to every nerd asking questions that will ever see it or ride as a passenger in my car. My car just went into production. If it comes with the M wheel I will be asking my dealer to replace it.

#8 ·
Have you actually driven a car with the M-sport wheel, or even the regular sport wheel?

The regular sport wheel is a rough, hard piece of non-ergonomic plastic-grade leather.

The M-sport wheel is the perfect diameter, smooth and soft to the touch. It may even be better than what many consider the "reference" BMW ///M steering wheel, the one I had in the E9x M3.

Forget the logo, it's all about the feel.

If you have a preference for the regular sport wheel, that is fine. But for actual driving, the M-sport wheel was obviously designed and manufactured to an entirely different level. It's basically the same wheel you get with the $120K M6 Gran Coupe. And now you can have it on a $36K 320i. Winning!

#12 ·
Sam you are right, I was one of the lucky ones that recieved the M Sport wheel. I drove a 335 during the performance delivery which was better tha. The base but the M Wheel feels much better. Is not as soft as the performance one but it looks and feels better than the sport.

What is the website for the vin check, I will be willing to check my VIN.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

#13 ·
Sam you are right, I was one of the lucky ones that recieved the M Sport wheel. I drove a 335 during the performance delivery which was better tha. The base but the M Wheel feels much better. Is not as soft as the performance one but it looks and feels better than the sport.

What is the website for the vin check, I will be willing to check my VIN.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
http://bmwvin.com/

#10 ·
Hmm... I did not drive a car with the M wheel so you do have a point here. I did however drive one with the sport wheel and honestly it felt nothing like what you are describing. In fact, I started disliking the wheel on my current E90 after I test drove F30 sport line. I thought the wheel felt really nice compared to what I have now but you know what - I'll make a trip to my dealership tomorrow and ask them to show me a car with the M sport wheel.

#11 ·
Well, the regular Sport line wheel might feel just fine since you have no point of reference to the M-sport version ;)

If your car just went into production, you obviously can't change the line/wheel. I'm not so sure the car(s) we saw without the M-sport package, but the M-sport wheel, is going to be a common thing. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyways, I hope you end up with the wheel you like. I wouldn't trade the M-sport wheel for anything, and remember I'm coming straight from an E92 M3.

#22 ·
Just the steering wheel, but by the looks of the M sport wheel the airbag looks different which will double/triple the cost to swap them out.

#24 ·
My VIN is now "checkable" on bmwvin.com
No M steering wheel. My car is 335i sport line, production just finished - in transit to the port of exit at the moment. The only specs for steering wheel I see in the VIN report: S255A SPORT-LEDERLENKRAD Sports leather steering wheel

#33 ·
That is a great deal even at an MSRP of $1300. Base 320i, black or white, with msport pkg, manual or auto, plus pdestination with 4 yrs maintenance and warranty has an MSRP of $34,745.

#28 ·
Yes, absolutely. Sport package is a must have for 320.

So now that I established that I'm not getting the M Sport Wheel, how do I confirm that I am getting the red stripe trim on the dash? I'm looking at BMWVIN, and I just don't see it anywhere. I was able to confirm just about everyting else I ordered except that.

#30 ·
Good luck getting you steering wheel "switched out". I'm sure that's a very simple and cheap operation. I can tell you that the M sport steering wheel is amazing. I've never felt anything like it. It is so smooth it feels like it's covered in a neverending coating of baby powder. The most subtle, non sticky, non greasy thing you have ever felt. Even stranger is that it is padded. You can squeeze it probably close to an 1/8". Before you snub the M sport wheel, give it a chance first. I honestly don't know how they make things like this.

QUOTE=DavidM1975;7318565]Ok, I realize this may sound weird but I actually prefer the look of the "regular" sport leather wheel that is SUPPOSED to come with my sport line 335i. Besides I think it's kinda silly to have a wheel with the M logo on a non-M car... and having to explain it to every nerd asking questions that will ever see it or ride as a passenger in my car. My car just went into production. If it comes with the M wheel I will be asking my dealer to replace it.[/QUOTE]

#31 ·
Good luck getting you steering wheel "switched out". I'm sure that's a very simple and cheap operation. I can tell you that the M sport steering wheel is amazing. I've never felt anything like it. It is so smooth it feels like it's covered in a neverending coating of baby powder. The most subtle, non sticky, non greasy thing you have ever felt. Even stranger is that it is padded. You can squeeze it probably close to an 1/8". Before you snub the M sport wheel, give it a chance first. I honestly don't know how they make things like this.
Sarcasm?

To swap out an M-sport wheel will probably be $1500+, and dealer will probably laugh you out the door if you request it.

#37 ·
Red stitching

Okay, so I have a sport line 328i on order in Mineral Gray with Everest Gray leather seats with black accent stitching and wood trim. I had assumed that the wheel's stitching would match the leather upholdstry's black stitching, but this thread has revealed to me that I am getting red stitching. It will be the only red in the interior. Those of you that have similar interiors, do you like or hate the red stitching? Is it out of place?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.