BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sport package E38

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Tee95E38 
#1 ·
How can I tell if my 1995 740i has the sport package?

#4 ·
you can tell in a couple ways in the later model e38's...if you have no chrome trim around your doors and windows (ie you have blackout tape on your trim), your car is likely a sport. if you have the 18" m-parallel wheels, it is likely a sport....if you have steptronic transmission (ie. a + / - on the shifter console), you likely have a sport...also, the sport version has the 4 spoke steering wheel, not a 3 spoke steering wheel.

#6 ·
also, the sport version has the 4 spoke steering wheel, not a 3 spoke steering wheel.
Other way around.

Sport version has 3 spokes, non-Sport is 4 spokes.

I appreciate it guys. I have the four spoke steering wheel, but that's all! What exactly do I look for on the bin #?
You don't have a sport model, i don't believe the Sport package was even available till 99.

There are websites that you plug the VIN into and it will give you the original build sheet.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp

#8 · (Edited)
The MID is the control unit for the OBC. When you press the BC button (on the MID...not the turn indicator stalk)...that will bring up the OBC features on the MID that gives you CONS1 & CONS2 . You should see the word "SET" on the far right of the MID...press the soft-key button below the word SET... for whichever one of the two CONS counts you want to reset.

The pic below is the display for the TIME/Clock features of the e38 MID...but you can still see the SET button on the far right...it is the same for resetting the OBC features called up when you press the BC button on the MID:

Below is the MID from my 99 540iT...but you can see that the OBC feature CONS1 is called up on the MID...if you press the SET button on the far right, CONS1 would be reset to 0 and a new AVG MPG calculation will begin:

And ditto about the "sport pkg"...it wasn't available on the e38 in the USA until the 1999 model year:

#9 ·
Get a hand book. Mine was from e-bay for my E30.

#10 ·
I now know I don't have the sport package. But my car was actually bought in Germany by my grandfathers friend. The manual for the car is all in German and its a real pain so I love this forum! I'm glad my car was made in its homeland though. I love my gear box it's wicked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.