BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Finally some X3 coding

18K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  udmx3 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there

It took me longer than I anticipated but it is worh it at the end. The OBDII cable took longer to arrive, it took me longer to set the computer up and communicating with the car and it took me a long time to find out which ECU modules have which option and which ones I needed to change.

Anyway, I did finally manage yesterday to enablethe 3-blink indicator signal :clap: and also enable alarm beep when locking or unlocking the car :confused:! The interesting thing here is that I don't have an alarm... as far as I know, since I bought the car used and nobody told me about an alarm! Is it possible that there is an alarm in there and I don't know... anything that I could look for that would suggest an alarm present or not??

In any case, since I'm at the beginning of learning the coding options in my car, does anyone have a list for the E83??? I haven't been able to find one out and have been trying to use one from an E46, which in most parts is similar, but there are differences.

#3 ·
Alarm test

roll down window, get out, lock vehicle, stick arm in window and flail it about to activate motion detector. Alarm will sound if you have one.

#6 ·
Thanks John320... but I found an easier way... checked the VO of my vehicle and it seems that there is an alarm installed. Apparently the previous owner for some reason disable any audible signals... in generall it seems that evrerything has been mutes... belt chime, door open chime etc etc

Anyway, I would appreciate if someone could read through my VO and let me know what options the car has on it, or if someone could point me to an english VO list, would be much appreciated!

here is the VO of my car
E83_#0906&KCSW%0354*PC31$1CA$249$255$2R5$302$321$386$413$423$428$441$473$493$4BZ$508$520$521$534$548$550$648$785$7RP$853$863$8AE$8SM

thanks

#10 · (Edited)
You might want to code:

- sidemarker delete (front amber corner lights are off when your parklights/headlights are on)
- turn off chime when you open door with key in ignition
- close windows/sunroof and fold power sidemirrors using remote
- open windows/sunroof and unfold power sidemirrors using remote
- remove disclaimer on your navigation during initial startup
- lock your doors at certain speed (10mph, 20mph etc)
- turn on/off your daytime running lights (dimmed high beam only)
- a/c display will show "LO" when you put temperature all the way down and will show "HI"
when you turn it all the way up instead of just the number showing.
-

#14 ·
You might want to code:
- sidemarker delete (front amber corner lights are off when your parklights/headlights are on)
- close windows/sunroof and fold power sidemirrors using remote
-
Would you know which values should be changed for these? I would like to turn those yellow front parking lights off for legal purposes. Now I have my own signal conversion in place but would use built in features.

And the remote close feature would be great as I leave my roof and windows often open when hot. Then in the evening it would be handy to close them from inside the house, not walk to the car.

Also generally about coding the X3, I did not know it is possible... How tricky is it? I already have and ODBII cable. Does it have to be some specific cable or will any generic cable work? Is there a place I can go to and get more information how to do it? A list of ECU modules and options in them would be great! I have looked into VAG coding for our VW and that is really simple to do.

Thanks,
- p

#11 ·
thanks thirdy for the suggestions

if you could help me out with which settings I should change for the

- turn off chime
- lock doors
- daytime running lights (did try on some setting but didn't work... maybe it's specific for the E83)
- and the a/c display for the E83

would very much appreciate!

#12 ·
- turn off chime
(AKMB) ZUENDSCHLUESSEL_WARNUNG - nicht_aktiv

-lock doors
(GM5) VERRIEGELN_AUT_NACH_2_MIN - aktiv
VERRIEGELN_AUT_AB_X_KM/H - aktiv
VERRIEGELUNGSSCHWELLE - 16_km/h

-daytime running lights
(ALSZ) GED_FL_ALS_DRL - nicht_aktiv or aktiv

-A/C display
(IHK) DISPLAYANZEIGE_HIGH - aktiv
DISPLAYANZEIGE_LOW - aktiv

#18 ·
Hi guys, I tried hard to find the following codings
VERRIEGELN_AUT_NACH_2_MIN - aktiv
VERRIEGELN_AUT_AB_X_KM/H - aktiv
VERRIEGELUNGSSCHWELLE - 16_km/h
in my E83 (2005) GM5 module....
I successfully coded the ALSZ module for daylights and the GM5 for side mirrors remote folding, but I'm stuck with the door locking thing...
Could the commands be located in other modules, in a pre LCI E83?

#21 · (Edited)
Hey is anyone in San Diego up for coding an '08? I don't really want to get into dealing with the software for something I'll probably only do once.

I'll buy you a beer or beverage of your choice. :)
I live in San Diego county as well (chula vista) and also have an '08 x3, although I bought the cable, haven't found a good laptop with XP, the one I borrowed from my friend is dog-slow. It may be a while before I can start coding. Have to find the software as well.

Found this online sdbmwcoding.com and thought about calling in case I don't decide to code myself, no first-hand experience, so if you're in need and don't mind paying someone who does this for a business, it may be your best option. just fyi

#22 ·
Yeah I might give that guy a call. Black Forest can probably do it for around the same price, and I've had good results with their work.

I also would have to dig up a windows laptop. For fifty bucks it's worth it to have one of these guys do it for me, rather than spend a few hours screwing around with the software and buying a cable.

#25 ·
The E83 cannot be set up to automatically unlock. It actually all makes sense if you understand German :D

Verriegeln = to lock something
Entriegeln = to unlock soething
Verriegelnsschwelle = lock threshold

Öffnen = to open
Schließen = to close

Zündschlusselwarnung = Key in ignition warning, or literally Ignition key warning
TFL = Tagfahrlich or daytime running lights
"Gedimmt fernlicht als TFL" is dimmed high beams as daytime running lights (this is North American specific and not permitted in ECE countries)

The amber corner delete is prob something like "Blinker als Standlicht" or something like that. Seatbelt warning is probably Gurtwarnung. Kombiinstrument = instrument cluster.

Makes sense, duh :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.