BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Owner - RF Tire Question?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  investor27 
#1 ·
Hello

I'm a new X1 owner, well I will be in about 6 weeks :) As a BMW Newbie I have quite a few questions but the one I'd really liked answered is about the RF tires. I've not heard a good word about them but as they are the only option I guess I'm stuck with them.

What I'd really like to know is do they suffer from more punctures and damage them regular tires and is it worth getting the BMW 5 years tire and wheel warranty? At the moment I'm leaning towards getting it but at $1,200 its not exactly cheap!

Thanks,
Keith

#2 ·
No, RFT's don't get more punctures than regular tires (in my experience). And for $1200 you can probably buy a whole new set of tires from TireRack, with road hazard included. I'd skip this insurance.

#3 ·
Runflats don't get more punctures, but they are prone to sidewall damage/bulges. Oftentimes runflats can't be repaired like conventional tires and must be replaced. The stiff sidewall transmits impact forces to the wheel, making the ride harsh and increasing the likelihood of a bent wheel from curbs, potholes, etc. Many dealers don't stock runflats, so it's not unusual to have to wait for an emergency replacement. Runflats are heavy compared to conventional tires, and unsprung weight is the enemy of performance. And as mentioned, they're more expensive. Needless to say, I'm not a fan.

Because BMW's have a higher rate of wheel and tire damage, insurance isn't a bad idea. But BMW's plan is too expensive. I purchased a zero-deductible aftermarket insurance policy from my dealership for $599. The policy covers all wheels and tires, regardless of brand and type, for 5 years/100,000 miles.

#4 ·
After hearing all the negative stories about run-flat tires, I was very apprehensive about receiving my X1 with them. But after doing so, I must admit, I'm loving mine. They are very quiet, and smooth. And I dare say smoother and quieter than my 535i xDrive. The RFTs on our X1s are all 2nd generation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.