BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New to me 2006 M5

4K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  SuperTerp 
#1 ·
Hi guys, new to the forum. I'm pretty close to purchasing my long sought after dream car.. 2006 bmw M5. The one I'm about to purchase has kinda high miles at 87,000 but is in extremely awesome condition. I know nothing about the mechanics of this vechicle so I'm hoping you guys could give me some help with questions like relialability, things to watch out for and if the deal seems ok.. 28,000! Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

#2 ·
Make sure the car has the updated VANOS pressure lines in it. The very first 06' M5's had issues with the crimps on the vanos lines blowing out and the engine barfing oil all over. BMW repaired this and I believe the cutoff manufacture date is 6/05 meaning after that you are OK. There are bulletins on this from BMW and if you search the forums you will find stuff on this along with the actual service bulletin. I would think with 87K, the VANOS would have blown already if this one had the original VANOS lines. Also, be aware that if it's an SMG the trans can get very pricey to fix. I would highly reccomend having a BMW dealer go over this car (if you can) since they can be very expensive to fix. Brakes are also stupid expensive (BMW will quote you $1800 for front brakes only) The M5 is a great car. 28K sounds like a good price but I would still get it checked out. Good Luck!

#5 ·
The SMG trans is great but again can be a bit finnicky and expensive to fix. The SMG pumps can go and with 87K, you are probably nearing the end of the clutch life. You said in your post you knew nothing about the mechanics of this car so just be aware that if it's an SMG (paddle shift) car, it has a clutch in it, just not a clutch pedal. The shifting is done via the paddles which actuate an auto huydralic clutch which shifts the gear. It takes a little getting used to and you should drive it a little before you buy it. This trans can also be used in a nornal 'D' mode just like any other automatic but it wont be as smooth and you will feel it shift. I say all this because this SMG trans is a great unit but like I said can be expensive to fix. The faster you go, the faster it shifts. The S85 V10 motor is just incredible. The entire car is just incredible. It will thrill you every time you get in it. Almost nothing except a 250K exoctic can touch it on the road. If you are a car guy, this is the car. Again, not to beat a dead horse but if you don't know the cars history spend the money and have it gone over by BMW if you can. Again, Good Luck

#7 ·
Month later, guess his excitement waned... I hope he didn't buy it, 28 grand for an 87K mile 06 M5 is assrape anyways...

#8 ·
Nah, I didn't get it yet. I'm waiting to recieve a back payment check and I was gonna pay cash but haven't recieved it yet. Why, do you really think its that bad of a deal. I've been looking around and that price seems about right up in this area of the country?

#10 ·
I'll put it in perspective: I paid 19,500 for mine with 92K miles, got it from the original 60+ y/o owner who just bought a 2013 a month prior. He babied the car and had every single service record, down to tire rotations and tint work.

IIRC, the cars up north should be generally cheaper than down here, as most have been through northern exposure unlike most cars down south (mine came from Florida). But if you run across a one owner, garage kept car that was off the road in the winter with all the service record up there, expect to pay noticeably more...

#12 ·
Here's another perspective. I paid 45K for an 06' and an additional $4500 for an aftermarket Fidelity warranty. Why you ask? Because the car had 8,000 miles on it. The only service record on this car was the 1200 mile oil change. Could have easily gotten an 08 or 09 (still with factory warranty) for that money but I couldn't get past the 8k miles. Car stickered for 96K. Just had the whole car reflashed (SMG, DME and Idrive) to the latest software and the car drives even better. Price and value are two different things and people see them differently. Most people get hung up on price whatever they buy. I would rather pay more and know what I am getting.:thumbup:

#13 ·
I wasn't arguing, just explaining my point. A car is worth whatever one is willing to pay for it. A car that's worth 45K to you may not be worth that to me, a car worth 20K to me may not be to you. That said, you seem to be a little off topic, OP asked about a high mileage M5, not a low mileage one. 8K miles is basically a new car, for a little less than HALF the sticker, if it has a clean carfax and the low mileage is not due to it having sat somewhere wrecked for years until somebody bought it for chump change, fixed it, and sold it, it's a helluva deal. But OP asked about one with 87K for 28 large, I was simply explaining he can spend less money yet still get a car with similar miles and as much history as possible for a 7 year old car with high 80K-low 90K miles. Why pay 28K for a car you can find for 20K if you look hard enough with every service record, one owner, etc.?

#15 ·
Yes, you make a good point. You have to value each car for what it is. I think though, It's hard to value a high mileage car like an M5. Like you said you were 8K under and had extensive service records. Things are always more expensive here in New York!
You ain't kidding, I remember visiting for New Years and being asked to pay $11 for a pack of Marlboros. I was like WTF, that's almost weed prices for tobacco!

OP, check this out: 06 M5 in the ATL, 68K miles, all service records, zero rust. $29000 obo. Offer up your 28000, rent a car for a day ($40), drive down in a Kia, take a road trip back in your new M5. It'll be a fun trip back, trust me, and you'll have a Southern car with 20K miles less than the one you are considering for the same money.

http://onslow.craigslist.org/cto/3947970352.html

#19 · (Edited)
Be very careful OP.. I have tons of liquidity and looking at the price of VANOS pumps, Clutch +Flywheel kits, SMG Pump, exc. these cars are not for people who have small budgets.

I just got mine from a BMW dealer wanting to try the s85 till I can hop in an f80 (gave me an insane deal on my m3) Within 1000 miles I've had engine malfunction under WOT [going to try to change plugs hoping that cures it], today my rear lights and stock angle eyes won't lightup so I'm guessing (and hoping) bad battery. So within the next week I'll be changing x10 spark plugs, cleaning MAFs, and buying a battery, and clutch+ flywheel could still go at any time along with a number of other tranny related issues.

I had the WOT limp mode today and its gone away twice now upon restart so while trying to read codes sitting in my driveway with my old cobb accessport I threw a tranny malfunction light lmao. Really hoping I don't have major issues brewing but thankfully I can dump it and I'd rather eat 2-3k then pay 7000 for Clutch+flywheel only to have the VANOS/SMG pump go at 2500 a pop.

Bottom line if you've got 10k reserve cash and plan on keeping the car a LONG time it might payoff in the end, but at least for me trying to enjoy a high milage s85 for a year it doesn't look like it'll be a smart move :p

one of the best local shops in our area said an owner that brought the car in regularly and babied it for 45k sold it to another local and the guy blew a flywheel and clutch in 1week so even babied cars are far from "reliable"

Beyond those costs think of suspension bits that will probably need to be looked after soon bushings control arms exc. :eeps:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.