BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

First Drives: BMW X5 xDrive30d by Autocar, Autoexpress

10K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  pixma 
#1 · (Edited)
f15x5

First drives of the 2014 X5 are coming in. The new X5 boasts clean looks, plush, comfortable interior and the 3.0-liter TwinPower Turbo diesel engine. But how does how is it on the road? Autocar and Autoexpress got to drive it and here is what they thought.

Driving:

Autocar:
So the essence of the 1999 X5's mini-revolution is preserved intact, and this latest edition is pleasingly nimble and precise when the going gets twisty. The keen will enjoy such roads in sport setting, which enlivens the drivetrain, girds the dampers and weights the occasionally uncertain steering to produce a well-resolved driving experience.

And the ride? It swallows most small bumps whole, as promised, although the odd clatter across ridges and potholes in sport suggests that it's the comfort damping mode you'll mostly want on Britain's roads. Given how well the rest of the system performs, it's unfortunate that in Sport mode setting the steering turns over-light - and you can't mix and match the steering, drivetrain and suspension settings.
Autoexpress:
We tried the xDrive 30d, which is as punchy as ever with all the performance you're likely to need. It sounds familiar too - a distant gruff growl, which gathers into a more distinct snarl as you press hard on the throttle. The extra grunt leads to sharper acceleration - the 0-62mph time drops by 0.7- to 6.9 seconds - but fuel economy and CO2 emissions have improved by 7.4mpg and 31g/km to 45.6mpg and 164g/km.

The X5 has always had impressive handling for a car of its size, and the new model continues the trend. All new X5s will be fitted as standard with BMW's Driving Experience Control, a toggle switch that lets the driver switch between Comfort, Sport, Sport+ and Eco Pro modes.

Comfort really is comfortable, bringing to the X5 a fluidity and level of bump absorption that simply wasn't present in the old version. Even in Sport mode (Sport+ has the same level of damper stiffness but dials out the assistance from the ESP and traction control) this new X5 has a level of comfort that would have been utterly alien to its predecessor. Unfortunately that means it can't match the steering feel and chassis responses of its predecessor.
f15x5

Overall:

Autocar:
The sports steering is, however, is one of the few flaws in this plush, practical and decently powerful set of family wheels. The X5 formula is unchanged and, steering apart, its mix of sporting edge and refined, big cabin comfort remains a compelling draw. Buyers will undoubtedly find this to be a very comfortable, very capable, off-road cruiser.
Autoexpress:
These things are relative though and the X5 will still dance rings around the Audi Q7 and Mercedes ML-Class. The fact that BMW has dialled down the dynamics slightly and upped the comfort levels shows they are fully aware of this car's target customers - people who want a safe, high-riding SUV with an alluring badge on the bonnet. If a customer want to set lap times, they'll buy an M3, if they need something to drive around the farm, they'll buy a Land Rover anyway.
f15x5

Read the full review by Autocar here.
Read the full review by Autoexpress here.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
#5 · (Edited)
I would not be overly concerned....like the F25 - the standard setup is oriented to economy and comfort - add M Sport, 3.5 and DHP and the F25 becomes a very fast responsive decathlon champ - likewise sportier X5 variants. Obviously, the new X5 and M3/M4 have different target audiences and the orientation of the X5 has little bearing on the M3. As to the coming M3/m4 - the F30's lighter - stiffer structure provides good bones for M magic. I am standing in line for a new M3.

#8 · (Edited)
Why is BMW trying to become more like Audi or MB when it outsells them? I find it hard to understand.

"The fact that BMW has dialled down the dynamics slightly and upped the comfort levels shows they are fully aware of this car's target customers ***8211; people who want a safe, high-riding SUV with an alluring badge on the bonnet. If a customer want to set lap times, they'll buy an M3, if they need something to drive around the farm, they'll buy a Land Rover anyway."

If that is true, wouldn't most people have already gone with Audi or Mercedes? Last time I checked, X5 is still outselling them 2013 even with its end of cycle model. The direction BMW is going is just absurd. Fixing something that is not broken. Trying to please everyone. http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2013/07...-2013-ytd.html

#10 ·
I don't dislike the front profile like I thought I would based on these new series of photos. The side profile however is really bad IMO though....just looks disjointed. I also am disappointed to hear that the steering is "soft" like most new Bimmers. The interior looks great...really nice upgrades! I am actual hopeful that when the LCI updates are ready, some of the flaws might get fixed. As it stands today, I am happy that I went with an E70 though.

#14 ·
The black vertical elements flanking the rear window is hideous. That has to be the worst BMW detail in decades. The X5 is more refined aesthetically but it is bit disappointing due to its lack of innovation.

#15 ·
The article is interesting in that it indicates they are softening up the suspension and handling. So to get the firmer suspension and handling characteristics similar to the E70 (I like the sporty side of suspension characteristics) would I have to select the M Sport Line with Dynamic Handling package as opposed the regular Dynamic Handling Package that is offered in the xLline and Luxury Line? From what I see the M Sport Dynamic Handling Package has Sport and Sport+ profiles that possibly would offer a firmer ride??

#17 ·
As soon as you opt for the Dynamic Handling Package, it doesn't matter what line you pick - the suspension (and its modes) will be identical.

#24 · (Edited)
I was in Vancouver BC and saw this exact X5 driving around downtown, same plate. They were having the launch party at my hotel (Fairmont pacific Rim). They had an F15 X5 under a sheer cloth in the lobby. Looks great in person!

Those pics above look like the sea to sky highway from Vancouver to Whistler... one of the most beautiful roads in the world IMO.

BTW, whats up with the yellow angel eyes/corona rings? I thought we were done with those... When I saw it driving they weren't on.

#26 ·
I'm inferring that the UK xDrive 30d is the same as the USA xDrive 35d. If that is the case why do BMW alter the name for the identical car? All this breeds is confusion.

It will be interesting to peruse reviews of the more sporty suspension choice ie M Sport Line with the optional 2VF: Adaptive M Suspension as I'm not interested in a float boat.

It looks like the Porsche Cayenne is the benchmark here. Mercedes is clearly beaten.

I wonder what the third row is like since the vehicle only grew by one inch in length. I doubt whether adults could sit comfortably there. Apparently third row is for toddlers or the extremely vertically challenged adults!

Aesthetically the F15 looks more modern than the E70 but is not as good looking as the predecessor. No problem! I still believe it is an improvement because it looks more futuristic in F15 guise. I like the way the headlights kiss the grill. The taillights are a definite improvement. The downer is the side profile. The front iooks pushed in and the angle and rendition of the Hoffmeister kink could have been better implemented.

#27 ·
I'm inferring that the UK xDrive 30d is the same as the USA xDrive 35d. If that is the case why do BMW alter the name for the identical car?
Marketing.

In the US, the 35d is $1500K more than the 35i. In Germany, the 35i is EUR 500 more than the 30d. Selling any kind of 30 for an up-charge over a 35 will be difficult.

For enthusiasts like us this might sound silly - for the average Joe browsing the showroom and making a "gut-decision", this can be a deal breaker.

#28 ·
Perusing the front of the car I can't understand why the fog lights had to be rendered circular. Rectangular would have been the way to go. It would have been in harmony with the F15 nascent generation and would have further differentiated it from the E70 LCI. Those big circular fog lights are misplaced. They are reminiscent of two giant pimples and it seems that the designers were reluctant to stray too far from the E70 LCI. So, essentially we have evolution rather than revolution and I can't help thinking BMW missed an opportunity here.

#30 ·
I don't see it that way. Look at ALL BMWs today, circular fogs. Look at 99 and 2000 BMWs, rectangular fogs. Circular fogs is part of their current design language.

#29 ·
760Lifan, I find it hard to reconcile that successful people - let's face it, one has to be successful to afford a BMW - would fall for the old switcheroo trick. I would have thought that customers would be glad to know that their car manufacturer is transparent and treats them as though they have more than bricks between their ears.

#31 ·
I certainly can't tell for sure if what I stated is the actual reason for their labeling-stunt - but honestly, I can't think of any other.:eeps:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.