BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

You KNOW you own an E39 when you...

11K views 88 replies 64 participants last post by  Albo 
#1 ·
1. Constantly look at the engine temp gauge...LOL.

2. Check your coolant reservoir at least once a week.

3. Have slight clunk when going over bumps at 2-3 mph (of course I have a Bilstein struts).

This thread is designed to be fun, so bring it on haha.

#5 ·
When you can read words with missing pixels.
When you can go 80 but it's really 76
When you adjust the headlight but fear a snap sound
When you throw away the glove box flashlight
When you wipe the windshield and the gasket crumbles
When you wonder why it's called a window regulator!

#6 ·
when you constantly surf the net shopping for the best prices of parts that arent even broke yet.
when you constantly replace parts that arent even broke yet
when you have a spare tire in the trunk but no spare tire jack
when you cant wait to get to work in the morning because you cant stop for coffee on the way due to lack of functioning cupholders
when your better than everyone else
when you always have the best looking car in the parking lot, no matter where you park and how much newer or more expensive the other cars are
when your afraid to roll down the windows when its cold out for fear of the crunch noise
when you constantly pass people, not because you need to or they are going too slow but because you can

#7 ·
When you went from an ordinary man to an extrordinary mechanic

When you spend thousands on tools to avoid the dealer

When you tell everyone you know how amazing BMW's are and how you would drive across the country in your 180k mile car today (if you did you would be on pins and needles the whole time, and triumphantly rejoice when you actually made it to and from your destination without major incident..)

When Traveling without major incident means: smelling coolant each time you put gas in the car, topping it up once, checking the oil and power steering fluid and hearing some ticking that is probably nothing...

#46 ·
This is hilarious and totally TRUE

I would also add:

When you get asked, 'how come you drive such an old car?' and you reply, 'Because it's built better and easier to maintain that any other BMW that's come after it'.

#9 ·
Me too. I dont like to beat on it untill its warmed up and the gauge lies and says that it is full temp when its only about 70c. Full temp isnt until 106c

#16 ·
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ahhhh... YESSS

#13 ·
When you're happy that you forgot items at the grocery store because it gives you an excuse to go for another drive.
When you some times think about buying insurance from Lloyds of London because you know you'd never get out of it what you've put into, it if it gets hit, from your auto insurance.

#14 ·
When you go rim shopping, find a set you love, then realize you have the only 74mm hub BMW ever made :p

#15 · (Edited)
When you like to "blow the carbon out" every time you drive it.
When the DSC is off more than its on.
When you open the hood everytime you pull into the garage to let the heat out so the plastic won't disintegrate.
When you park at the far end of the lot to avoid door dings.
You open the window a crack when you go thru a tunnel so you can hear that aftermarket muffler.
When you turn around to look at your pride and joy as you are walking away from it.
When you spend 12 hours working on your friends E39 because yours isn't broken, and you need an excuse to use all of your tools and drink beer with him.

EDIT
When you carry the following parts in the spare tire well.
(haven't had to use them, but you never know when you'll stumble across a broken down E39)
A code reader and tools
Every hose in the cooling system
MAF
Cam sensor
Crank sensor
T-stat
Both belts
Ignition switch
Dual temp sensor
Expansion tank and cap
And when you go on a long trip you take a few more parts, just in case
Water cooled alternator
Power steering pump
Idler pulleys
Water pump

#19 · (Edited)
When you like to "blow the carbon out" every time you drive it.
When the DSC is off more than its on.
When you park at the far end of the lot to avoid door dings.
You open the window a crack when you go thru a tunnel so you can hear that aftermarket muffler.
When you turn around to look at your pride and joy as you are walking away from it.
these are like every time i get in the car lol

at work i park all the at the end of the isle so that i can only have a car parked on one side of me, not both, therefore narrowing the odds of a ding 50%

especially the last one. sometimes i feel like if anyone is watching me i either look like im stalking someone as i walk away or im super paranoid because i keep looking over my shoulder.

#17 ·
I just watch "Hitler Rants about the E39 BMW" on YouTube and LMAO.

1. When you plan to do a job but know to buy extra parts for all the other misc. BS plastic that might break;
2. Watch your coolant temp. (test 7) religiously;
3. Spend hours on the forums gathering information before you start a job;
4. When you plan a job with the "while I'm in there mentality";
5. Start shopping for parts that will go bad before their needed.

#24 ·
When ya see another E39 on the road and think "i wonder if he knows who i am from the forums" :rofl:

When ya Get into it with other BMWs on the road who think they got the best bimmer :bang: :blah: :drive:

No i got it,!
When ya power steering leaks, Windows clunk going up, Headlights point at the groud, cooling hose blows off while :drive:, steering wheel shakes while braking, you look at the temp gauge every other 2 days while driving, Everytime you see a M5 ya feel like lil Brother, When ya passenger points out another BMW you tell em to shut up, when ya tell people pull twice when there about to get out the car, when you hear a DING and your heart drops as you look at the cluster display, uhhh yeaaa :rofl:

#27 ·
When you see other e39's and start to Criticise it as to what can be done to to improve the way it looks.

When you feel bad when you see a neglected e39.

After pulling into the garage look around and under to see if anything is leaking.

Turn off the PDC because I know how much damm space I have behind me.

Always read the forums while eating a bowl of cheerios.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.