BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5 tranny won't go into gear??

Tags
tranny x5
11K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  !Achtung! 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2001 x5, 139k. Can anyone help,
Having a tranny problem. One day with no warning the car went into transfailsafe.
It then lagged for a few miles. Now its not going into gear. I took it to the shop they claimed its the tranny. It's starts fine , when you shift through the gears you get nothing, it gets stuck in M5 sometimes if you shift it up. When you shut it off and back. On the gears on the dash move again???. Tried failsafe reset, nothing..
And thought?

#2 ·
There are three 2001 X5 models in the USA and they have different transmissions:
  1. X5 3.0i
  2. X5 4.4i
  3. X5 4.6is

You can help us help you better by creating a signature that includes your model/model year/build date...or add it to the info that appear in the upper right. Not only are there different engines & transmissions...but many other changes based on build date along the production from 1999-2006. :)

#3 ·
It is good to get a second opinion although Forums are only good estimated guesses that the problem that you have

Do you self a favor, spend the Diagnostic fee of 120-140$ at a BMW dealership and have them explain to you what the actual problem is with a car. ( unless the shop you went to is a BMW Dealer and not a random "Johnny's Import Repair" shop)

When it comes to transmission issues it is important to have indepth factory diagnostic scan tool figure out the problem. There is a chance that you could have an internal problem with the transmission which most shops will not deal with, it could be something simple as a broken wire harness or a fluid leak to the point of where you have leaked out so much fluid the transmission has a difficult time engaging due to lack of hydraulic pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.