BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

01 740iL - Where to buy heads, cam and headers / bmwtime740's modified E38

16K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  balance 
#1 ·
Heads, cam and headers for 2001 bmw 740il where to buy has any one done something like this to the 7 series

#2 ·
i've done plenty of that to my 7 series.

the labor will be expensive so be ready for overkill when you hear the price the mechanic tells you.

My engine work ran me exactly $5 , 8 8 6 . 9 2.

major torque you receive from doing simple mods to this M62 engine.

#17 · (Edited)
i've done plenty of that to my 7 series.

the labor will be expensive so be ready for overkill when you hear the price the mechanic tells you.

My engine work ran me exactly $5 , 8 8 6 . 9 2.

major torque you receive from doing simple mods to this M62 engine.
That's a great f'ing deal for $$Dinan$$ internals, extensive and custom engine work, along w/ tuning. There are a handful of guys who did a 4.6/4.8 swaps, but it's definately not plug and play, and they sure as **** didn't get it done for 5k or even 10k. With the what some might call mild engine mods done to my motor, it completely changed how the engine performed for normal driving...so if you're up to 4.5/4.6l of displacement, what are you using to run it?

#21 ·
That's a great f'ing deal for $$Dinan$$ internals, extensive and custom engine work, along w/ tuning. There are a handful of guys who did a 4.6/4.8 swaps, but it's definately not plug and play, and they sure as **** didn't get it done for 5k or even 10k. With the what some might call mild engine mods done to my motor, it completely changed how the engine performed for normal driving...so if you're up to 4.5/4.6l of displacement, what are you using to run it?
Finally a good question...

Well everyone knows theres a limit on how much you can hone & bore an engine. For example if my engine were a 4.4L v8, I couldn't bore the heck out of it and call it day and say "HEY my car is now a 5.0L".

There would take some serious cubic inch alterations. I have to go guys...I would love to literally show you "HOW MY SETUP" literally is.

No disrespect to any of you guys...I'll be back later. Tomorrow during the day, I'll try to get some pics.

#26 ·
Finally a good question...

Well everyone knows theres a limit on how much you can hone & bore an engine. For example if my engine were a 4.4L v8, I couldn't bore the heck out of it and call it day and say "HEY my car is now a 5.0L".

There would take some serious cubic inch alterations. I have to go guys...I would love to literally show you "HOW MY SETUP" literally is.

No disrespect to any of you guys...I'll be back later. Tomorrow during the day, I'll try to get some pics.
Where'd ya go brotha?! You're avatar disappeared, you we're online at around 8am this morning...we're still waiting.

#3 ·
i was going to say Dinan, but if you look down at bmwtime740's parts list, looks like theres a perfect suggestion. pricey yes, but then again you are looking for parts on a 4.4

#4 ·
my 740 is no longer a 4.4L. the internal cylinder walls were honed and bored out. wider walls, bigger pistons, bigger rods, larger cams, bigger crank etc... all bigger but lightweight.

My 740 should now be 4.5 or 4.6L

#5 ·
what site did u get the parts from. thanks

#6 ·
My internals were ordered directly from Dinan.

You can get lucky and find gooooood stuff on eBay from time to time. I got my headers off of eBay.

#7 ·
:confused:

I've never seen Dinan internals for the M62. I've also never seen Borla headers for the M62 either. I must really be missing something here.

#8 ·
Yeah, I've yet to see $$Dinan$$ internals or Borla headers for the M62/S62 engine, at most they have a catback exhaust for the E39 M5. Anyone can fill out a signature, but it sounds like we'd like to see the proof.

#11 ·
I don't understand what could strike confusion inside of your mind. I do understand that anyone CAN fill out a signature and run with it posing to make others believe otherwise about a car.

This is fact above.

Now this is me below.

I, for one, don't know any of you on this website. I don't have to get you to believe or make you understand what I have done to my vehicle. I am here to help others; and not put on a show for anyone.

My 740 does in fact have Borla Performance headers installed...regardless if you haven't visually seen them or simply cannot find them over the web. On the side of my headers read: "Borla Performance Exhaust"

My 740 engine is completely redesigned with Dinan forged internals direct from the factory.
Part numbers:

Bore & stroke 3.875in x 3.00 in
(98.4 mm x 76.2 mm)

I used longer rods for your information buddy.

#12 ·
:rofl:

You used longer rods on a stroked engine? Ok.....have fun with that.

No, you don't have to prove anything. You're right. Enjoy your Dinan internals and your longer rods. I'm sure she makes serious power.

#15 ·
:rofl:

You used longer rods on a stroked engine? Ok.....have fun with that.

No, you don't have to prove anything. You're right. Enjoy your Dinan internals and your longer rods. I'm sure she makes serious power.
LOL...yeah, I'm gonna have to throw up the BS flag on this one, but oh well. Trust me, being a BMW mechanic, I'm all for being proved wrong, finding out new information about parts, etc but things just aren't making sense here. Like I said before, god only knows what the OP might have fed this guy when he made the purchase.

#13 ·
The 740...look it up...check out the internals of a stock 740 you'll see why.

#14 ·
Why you gettin all defensive...you're here to "help" people, yet get all standoffish when someone asks a question? I hardly know anyone on here either, so what does that have to do w/ anything whatsoever? Most people fill out their signature just for bragging rights, some for facts, etc.

As for your headers, like I said...nothing comes up on their site, Google, or anywhere else for that matter. I've seen M7 badges on a few cars...doesn't make them real. My mufflers say Magnaflow Performance, but it's only on the tips. Once you calm down, maybe you can post pics of your headers, top and bottom. Maybe they're some crap brand like OBX's or something quality like SuperSprints and someone just had Borla badges or something put on there. You yourself said you bought them off ebay, god only knows what they truely are.

Your $$Dinan$$ part numbers also mean nothing since I'm simply asking a question. I'm still curious how you can get $$Dinan$$ to custom make parts and rebuild your engine internally just like mine, but you got $$Dinan$$ to do all this for you at more than 1/2 of what I paid for my engine rebuild.

#18 ·
Why you gettin all defensive...you're here to "help" people, yet get all standoffish when someone asks a question? I hardly know anyone on here either, so what does that have to do w/ anything whatsoever? Most people fill out their signature just for bragging rights, some for facts, etc.

As for your headers, like I said...nothing comes up on their site, Google, or anywhere else for that matter. I've seen M7 badges on a few cars...doesn't make them real. My mufflers say Magnaflow Performance, but it's only on the tips. Once you calm down, maybe you can post pics of your headers, top and bottom. Maybe they're some crap brand like OBX's or something quality like SuperSprints and someone just had Borla badges or something put on there. You yourself said you bought them off ebay, god only knows what they truely are.

Your $$Dinan$$ part numbers also mean nothing since I'm simply asking a question. I'm still curious how you can get $$Dinan$$ to custom make parts and rebuild your engine internally just like mine, but you got $$Dinan$$ to do all this for you at more than 1/2 of what I paid for my engine rebuild.
I did not get defensive. I'm calm.
Dude...do I really feel like literally going out to my garage, taking the cover off of my '40...going up under to take a picture of HEADERS that I purchased and had installed by an exhaust shop. Why would I unbolt my valve covers, rip apart the heads, just to show a person on a forum my setup. pssh. Please dude, save it for somebody else.

Dinan did not make custom internals, Tomorrow morning why don't you give Dinan a call and ask about the 740iL.

Lastly...Don't get upset because YOU spent more than what I PAID for my 740 just on parts for YOUR 740. :rofl:

#20 · (Edited)
1) You don't have to remove the covers to take pics of the headers. I'm just asking you to **** or get off the pot. If I spent the coin and have the braggin rights your stating in your sig, I'd be proud as hell to show my mods to people that have NEVER heard of them before. You got dyno sheets for those numbers, or we're those taken w/ a butt dyno?
2) I'll call Dinan tomorrow and ask them about "the 740iL"...hopefully they know where to direct me.
3) I'm far from upset for paying 12k for my engine mods. I also realize that I paid 2/3 of the purchase price of my car to have the engine rebuilt. I did it on purpose within a month after buying my car, and even then 12k was a steal compared to what other shops like Metric Mechanic or some German only parts kits (I'd have to do the work myself) we're charging. I fail to see what's so funny about that.

#24 · (Edited)
I'm actually flattered by that, thanks Mark :) I've met you and Dave at least once or twice over the years when I came to the Seattle 5's and 7's meets, and you both trumped me...I still feel that way now when you state specs on certain years, etc as I'm not 100% on some of that stuff. I've learned quite a bit over the years though, hence taking away some of the worries when I bought my X5...newer engine, same headaches!

I do hope he comes through w/ pics and proof of the mods, otherwise his braggin list is no more than a Civic DX w/ EX VTEC turbo badges...true owners can see through the fluff.

At his own peril...because we'll attack him like wolves ;)

#25 ·
So when you provide technical advice or say "my 1997 came with the sport package" perhaps you should make it clear that you claim it's a European Model since you live in the US. Otherwise, you raise suspicion about anything you say about your car.
bmwtime740 said:
sorry to burst everyones bubble but my 1997 740iL came with the sport/winter package. Steptronic tranny which I use all of the time. I can shift in and out of every single gear without setting it to the M for manual mode.
Also have the Euro model. :thumbup: Manufacture location is in Europe, and also my dash doesn't say US. It says EUR.
They were all manufactured in Europe? :dunno:
Yes but mine also has EUR where yours will say U.S under the MPH in your gauges.
Another example, in the US, you are mistaken about what years Nikasil was an issue in the E38:
BMW changed the engine completely from Nikasil to Alusil in 1997 in which they created a much better block. Redesigned thus causing the 4.0 to the 4.4L change. The 95 and 96 e38's are cars to watch out for...it's kinda like buying an 02-03 745.
Which causes more work for the rest of us who have to try to clear it up for you:
For the E38, it should have been only 1995 in the USA.
Here is one of the best articles on the topic, plus an introduction/update from 2004:
http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/article-m60v8.asp
This misinformation can take away from your credibility.

#27 ·
wow the parts are alot of money for the bmw maybe ill just do a cold air intake and headers

#28 ·
What kind of budget do you have Vinny? I can give you some suggestions on just about everything bolt on short of going FI.

#30 ·
Bump...what ever happened to this thread?

#32 ·
I know...I'm just trying to stir the pot ;) The avatar in his signature isn't there anymore either.

#34 ·
God, why didn't I think of that before?! :rolleyes:

Opinion...great idea, do it.
Suggestions...less talk, more action. Remember, BMW stands for Bring My Wallet. What an awesome idea. Let us know how it works out. :thumbup::tsk:

#35 ·
m5james, I have a request, I see on your signature that you installed an electric fan on your 7. I'd like to do the same, but I'm not sure where the best place is to mount the temp sensor. Could you provide me with the details of your setup? I was thinking of using one of the universal wiring kits, and just pulling an s-blade fan off of a towncar.

#37 ·
Considering the notorious overheating issues with these cars, I just wired mine to be constant so that it comes on with the ignition. Honestly, it's not loud at all and it's just a bit more piece of mind for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.