BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

MIGHT be saying good bye to my E34

4K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  tommytwotone34 
#1 ·
My 540I has been constantly giving me problems and its getting tiring... I knew they were high maintenance before buying mine in 2009 but apparently it wasn't properly cared for when I discovered the wrong type of fluid in the transmission (changed it back to proper fluid) and many zip ties under the plastic engine cover.

I had put nearly $4000 in mechanical repairs in the last 12 months, Thats the same amount I bought it for.

Bimmerfest and bimmerforums are not my only car forums, I'm also on Honda-tech, teamintegra, clubintegra, g2ic etc... because I used to own a Integra from 2005-2009. I'm also on Customtacos, tacomaworld and XR-Underground because I dated someone that had a 2009 Tacoma X-Runner. He sold his truck and the X-Runner group kept me instead because I was their photographer and a nicer person.

I noticed a "Radiant Red" 2007 X-Runner sitting at the toyota dealer lot near my house and ignored it was there for about a month... While just browsing craigslist I found it on there for a good price at this dealership. Today I went and checked it out, It is not as pretty as it looks in pictures. Someone spilled various colors of house paint in the bed and the front bumper could use a re-spray or someone to do a cut and buff on it. But the interior is clean and it sounds smooth... Just to see, I applied for it and got approved. They agreed to take the E34 in on a trade in but we haven't discussed how much they'll give me for it. I'm aiming for $4000-$4500 since its clean and they will rape me on APR anyways.

Heres the truck.

I've driven my ex's X-Runner and my best friends X-Runner several times and they are pretty fun to drive once you get over how long it is.

The E34

Right now i'm just waiting for my dad to get home so we can go see what will happen... Its not set in stone yet, But it's looking good/bad (whichever way you see it)

See less See more
#2 ·
They will take it in for $1500 to $2k at most. $4k is out of the question. Its a real pity, you've got a great looking ride for sure but i totally understand how it can turn into a money pit especially if you have high standards.

#3 ·
It's not that these cars are so much "high maintenance". They are used cars over 15 yrs old. Used cars will always reflect their previous owners...ignored maintenance doesn't go away, it just becomes someone else' problem.

Anyhow, you're asking for thoughts on your decision but I think you're mind is made up and you're gonna do what it takes to get that pretty red truck. Best wishes!

I have to agree with Roberto on the trade in value...dealers will always shoot for giving you Fair Private Party value and resell the vehicle at high retail value.

Consider not having a car payment...

#4 · (Edited)
KBB is $3800 trade in... But we will see, If I cant get $4000+ for it then I'll just keep it. I like the E34 quite a bit, It will not be my last one. I would love to find a 540i/6 but all the ones around here are 540I/A.

I have really high standards for my cars, The E34 has never seen a fuel grade below 91, always had synthetic oil changes on time if not a few miles early, I condition the leather once every 2 months and buff/wax it every 1.5 months. It's a money pit but thats because I'm picky with it.

We'll see in an hour if I come back saying... They didn't give me what I wanted for it or I got this big red crayon.

#7 · (Edited)
I would research the cost/ benefit facts .For various reasons . The main one, making payments in a slow economy, could weigh in and become difficult. Gasoline costs should be the priority factor. You will be required to provide full coverage. I had a red truck once never got so many frivolous tickets in my life. On the Plus side Dependability, hauling capacity can generate income and some resale value. As much as is invested in the BMW i would keep it until you found a adult buyer that is courteous and respected your efforts and time with some great offers . Your car is a rare classic High Performance sports sedan in nice shape . At 20 years its collector value will continually increase if maintained.

Attachments

#8 ·
One cant be too passionate when buying...u dont see straight. If you want 4K, sell it out right and take ur cash to the dealership.

#9 ·
That makes me kinda sad... I did look into cost, Insurance on the E34 is $97 a month and the Tacoma will be $130 for full coverage. I'm not really happy with the bright color, It will be my first car that wasn't black. Gas stays the same, They both get around 19MPG.

The E34 will always be one of my favorites, It has never left me stranded but it has given me a bunch of problems to where I'm afraid to really enjoy it, I found myself driving in silence trying to figure out what is causing which odd noise on several occasions which always ends up costing me between $800-$1200 nearly every few months. For long trips I always end up driving the family back up car (2007 Impala)... I was able to talk my dad into co-signing (might not be needed afterall) because we're in process of renovating the backyard and find ourselves asking people we know to use their trucks. This way I can be helpful to the family in hauling the 2x4's, rocks, plants, tree's etc... I think it might be equal and if I get tired of the truck I can always sell it since Tacoma's hold their value well.

#10 ·
Well if you need a truck, get a truck.

Problem with red is your a tool if you have a red anything. Insurance rates go up. Red induces the Pavlov effect in cops. And people will either want to ram you or race you. And chicks usually get it because they crave attention due to low self-esteem issues.

While all of this probably seems crazy when you're young, sadly it's fact. Chinese restaurants are red for a reason. Bulls chase red for a reason. And it will add to your stress level and lighten your wallet.

Other than that it's a great color. On a more serious note, get the right tool for the job that you can afford with absolute certainty. The economy is **** and it ain't getting any better.

#11 ·
Yea... Well, we got the trade in to go up to $4700 for the E34 because we were quite eager with this red crayon. When paperwork was being done, the bank said wait... "how many miles?.... no way". So the mileage has to be under 80K. They are going to call around and check auctions tomorrow for one. I didn't like the red so i'm not entirely butt hurt over it. It was really a pull me over red, I'm going to try and find a black or blue one but if the price is right i'll drive cautiously in red.

Chase agreed to $15K so were going to check out some private parties and try and sell the E34 on our own if we cant find a dealer with one.

#14 ·
If you really want to see the value from the dealership...

Get your best, rock bottom price on the Toyota, then right before you put pen to paper, introduce the trade in. Then you'll see what they give you. Good as it looks, you'll get what's been quoted.

I'll keep mine until the doors fall off and by that I mean at least 2 of the 4. Drove the 1966 Plymouth Valiant, my $600 car, for 18 years...and it was in the shop only once. Did two tours in Germany on that rig (72-75 and 84-87) and top Autobahn speed was 96, with a tail wind on a straight stretch. Those 170 cu inches worked hard.

I'll stay with my much fixed 525i for at least another couple of years. Heck, you might make more parting it out.

C.

#18 · (Edited)
Get your best, rock bottom price on the Toyota, then right before you put pen to paper, introduce the trade in. Then you'll see what they give you. Good as it looks, you'll get what's been quoted.

I'll keep mine until the doors fall off and by that I mean at least 2 of the 4. Drove the 1966 Plymouth Valiant, my $600 car, for 18 years...and it was in the shop only once. Did two tours in Germany on that rig (72-75 and 84-87) and top Autobahn speed was 96, with a tail wind on a straight stretch. Those 170 cu inches worked hard.

I'll stay with my much fixed 525i for at least another couple of years. Heck, you might make more parting it out.

C.
I've decided to sell it private party... I would probably get more parting it out but I don't have the time or the space to part a car out in. I live in suburbia hell with a nazi HOA.

I would Think of value and needs I would only buy new if it was a business purchase. Trucks are Lrg Heavy Tools of transportation .I drive sm Truck stocker during the day. Knowing what i know now about 4x4 I would only buy a truck with 4x4 they are a life savers and 2x the fun of 2wheel drive. The Toyota will need some very lrg expensive tires to look and preform to capacity. I would buy new if i could pay it off cash 1 time. The difference in cost of New ~v~ New used can be 5k to 10k. In my state anything with a bed is commercial and cost more to reg. Special needs are always factors. On the plus side If you are young like all members here regardless of age.:) A auto purchase on payments can be the single most important and effective tool in building a Positive Credit History for the future. The large cab size provides more room for family and loved ones ;) LD
Tacoma's hold their value far better then a 17 year old BMW... The X-Runner is just really long, We live in the same state. I'm 23 and my credit is in need of improvement. I'm a single **** so there is no chance of "expanding my family"... The X-Runner is a 4 seater, Just the back seats are quite uncomfortable for long trips and if I need to take 3+ people a further distance we do have a back up car (2007 impala) that is always there for me to take... I often times end up using my dads wifes 2010 Accord to go pick up and put in for sale signs for homes since the back seats fold down and alot of the times i end up sitting at home cleaning mud from the signs out of the accord... So aside from our little backyard remodel I have quite a few reasons a truck would be helpful... X-Runners only come in RWD, They handle like a car the only thing is they desperately need a short shifter and their quite long so my only enemy will be squeezing it into my garage and maneuvering through parking lots.

The BMW is nice, but it sounds like his E34 is far from "smooth, damn near perfect" and he has no idea when he has to do that next big repair. Tacomas are really nice trucks, they are well built and will last for a very long time with minimal issues. Sure, they're no BMW, but they're not trying to be. The newest E34 is 16 years old at this point, so they're going to start showing their age unless you are willing to possibly put huge $$ into keeping them running... you can't blame him for wanting something more recent and easier to own/operate.
exactly

Oh and... Stock the X-Runners come 1" lower then a regular tacoma (stiffer springs/leafs and bilstein shocks/struts) with a "aero" body kit. Common among enthusiasts is lowering it a little more. I'm more of a fan of the "sittin sic" drag kit, Which lowers the front 1.7" and the rear 2" with thicker sway bars... Here's some people that have the sittin sic kit.

My friend Brett's X-Runner with stock wheels (just powder coated)

Some guys (18s)

#15 · (Edited)
I would Think of value and needs I would only buy new if it was a business purchase. Trucks are Lrg Heavy Tools of transportation .I drive sm Truck stocker during the day. Knowing what i know now about 4x4 I would only buy a truck with 4x4 they are a life savers and 2x the fun of 2wheel drive. The Toyota will need some very lrg expensive tires to look and preform to capacity. I would buy new if i could pay it off cash 1 time. The difference in cost of New ~v~ New used can be 5k to 10k. In my state anything with a bed is commercial and cost more to reg. Special needs are always factors. On the plus side If you are young like all members here regardless of age.:) A auto purchase on payments can be the single most important and effective tool in building a Positive Credit History for the future. The large cab size provides more room for family and loved ones ;) LD

Attachments

#16 ·
I just don't understand how it's even get idea to go buy some Toyota pickup truck over a gorgeous, smooth, damn near perfect BMW. I know after owning bimmers, most other cars I see and I am in are completely inferior and I could never see my self driving something other than a Bimmer.

#17 ·
The BMW is nice, but it sounds like his E34 is far from "smooth, damn near perfect" and he has no idea when he has to do that next big repair. Tacomas are really nice trucks, they are well built and will last for a very long time with minimal issues. Sure, they're no BMW, but they're not trying to be. The newest E34 is 16 years old at this point, so they're going to start showing their age unless you are willing to possibly put huge $$ into keeping them running... you can't blame him for wanting something more recent and easier to own/operate.

#22 ·
I've been through 3 different indy shops, Average labor rate has been $70-$100 a hour... Which is actually a very average rate for any shop... I did the easy stuff in my garage like changing the radiator, installing a H/U etc... But I cant do things here like changing the transmission fluid ($900), changing the driveshaft ($200 labor $300 part). This isn't my first car, It's actually my 7th car and i'm not full retard when it comes to actual repairs... There is far less space to work with under the hood of my 540I then anything I've ever owned and EVERYTHING has a sensor in it. It's 17 years old with 128K miles and I'm starting to see it as a ticking wallet bomb.

you say it cost you 800-1200 every 3 months to mantain your e34....I can garantee that your jap trap will cost you 900-1500 every 3 months(if nothing break down)
I'm baffled if you realize the first picture is a picture of all those X-Runners is a picture I actually took at a friends house, I know alot of people with these trucks and most of them are the original owners. The only complaint is the throw out bearing likes to squeel and one of my friends seems to have to replace his clutch every 35K miles (but he's REALLY hard on it)... There's a reason Toyota's hold their value very well and it's because they have proven to be one of the most reliable cars out there.

Dude, no disrespect, but I don't know where you're coming from here. :tsk:

A Toyota Tacoma is a very simple vehicle, very reliable, and relatively cheap to maintain. It will definitely be a lot cheaper to maintain than a 15 year old BMW.
Exactly...

For comparison, Here's how the engine bay of my E34 looks (not my actual picture)

2005-2011 tacoma

It is alot more simple then the 540i

#21 ·
Dude, no disrespect, but I don't know where you're coming from here. :tsk:

A Toyota Tacoma is a very simple vehicle, very reliable, and relatively cheap to maintain. It will definitely be a lot cheaper to maintain than a 15 year old BMW.

#25 ·
I'm putting $6k-$8k down on a $15k-$17k truck with 5 year financing it's going to be around $200-$280 a month... money isn't a very big problem because I'll manage either way. It's more of the fact the E34 spends a lot of its time broken.

The truck is nice. BMW is still the Ultimate Driving Experiance . The main point is with us e34 owners is We dont want payments for the rest of our lives.We would rather invest into the car and maintain Its tradition of Respect and power in a compact,sexy,fast and comfortable to drive sports car. :flame:
Eh... I guess to each their own, I will miss the random waves i get from other BMWs on the road.

#29 ·
If I may chime in here,
The way I see it, you either have the capability of working on these cars yourself or you make enough $$$ to have someone work on it.
Yes it will cost to own a newer vehicle such as the truck you mentioned and by that I mean higher insurance, registration fees, taxes, depreciation and of course interest if you finance it but that's the coat of a newer vehicle.

It looks like you'd be better off selling your BMW and purchasing the truck. Post it on the forum, someone who knows these cars inside and out might buy it. Good luck on your decision, whichever it may be.

#30 · (Edited)
Mmmkay... Here's the deal meow.

The BMW accumulated a hiccup with the transmission and I was forced to edit the CL posting reflecting it. Alot of people got skeptical but I had a steady flow of people emailing me about it and had several people look at it. One guy even paid to have a shop do an inspection on it... The results were not good, and again I had to re-word the CL posting. As it stands I have 4 emails in my inbox for the car but I will probably not respond to them. I know it would sell if I kept up with my patience by the amount of people interested in it.

But... I had a falling out with someone who was very close to me who also had the same kind of truck I was looking to buy. I don't want to get into details but we were very close and it didn't end well and will not go back to the way things were before... I decided against getting said pick up truck. I'm going to fix the E34 (shop gave me a list... Shocks are leaking, differential is leaking, transmission is leaking, transmission has 4 bad sensors, transmission itself might be bad, leaks oil and has a small coolant leak [oddly enough when parked nothing drips out onto the floor])... And hope that nothing else breaks at least for another 9 months. Also want to find another set of M-Pars... I miss them

Maybe putting on a set of wheels might re-motivate me in keeping the POS.

#32 ·
I understand your point of view as far as owning something new and also needing a truck however would like to shed a little light on the comment that toyota's hold there value and would like to respond. The simple fact that my mother owns a 2001 toyota camry XLE limited edition and her kelly bbk value on a very well maintained and well kept car is less then that of my exellant cond. 95 530I is proof. Not to judge but there other trucks that also fall under a great value catagory than the toyo. But more to the point sounds to me that one main factor in your choice of trucks could be the inclusive peir pressure of your friends and the fad of them owning one. But not to judge just my opinion take it for what its not worth...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.