BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

asking price

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Bimmer980 
#1 ·
I have a 1989 325i, automatic-the transmission has just gone and I've decided to call it quits and get rid of the car. I've spent $3000 on it over the last year and it's one thing after the other. One of the mechanics at my garage is interested in buying it. Any ideas what I should ask for it?

Thanks,

Dan

#2 ·
anywhere from $300 to $3000 depending on amount of doors, trim spec, milage, overall condition

ask a vauge question get a vauge answer ;)

but really, none of us have seen your car in real life its impossible to value something. in 25 years it could be still like new or beaten to hell

#3 ·
+1 as my crystal ball is broken

#4 ·
Yeah I suppose a few more details would have been useful. It's got 140,000 on the clock. The body work is pretty good, a couple of rust spots but nothing major. The interior is in excellent shape. The digital clock is broken and it needs a new heating fan although it works fine up to level 2. It recently got new suspension work, tires and brakes. Needs a new transmission. The odometer recently stopped working. It's a four door.

That's about it

#5 ·
With all that wrong with it you'll be lucky to get $500 for it. The $3k you put in it is a write-off. You're trying to sell a good interior and a running engine attached to a less-than-desirable body and a dead transmission. Ask the mechanic that wants it to make you an offer and go from there.

#6 ·
Shame really. Once they are fixed they are great cars. There are only two types of car, new ones you are in debt for and old ones you pay to repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.