BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Did BMW cut off my Google Send to Car feature?

4K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  TGray5 
#1 ·
I did not pay may subscription to BMW Assist or whatever it's called and was under the impression that Google Send to Car is a free feature, not a part of the paid package.

It has stopped working 2 months after my BMW subscription expired. I've been waiting for a day and no new locations arrived.

Really mad now, is this a paid service??? :mad:

#2 ·
No.

#4 ·
I think your answer is "yes" you need an account from what I read - is not clearly spelled out - but reading between the lines it sure sounds like you do...

MyInfo**
Use Google Maps to send point of interest information to your BMW using your e-mail address and your BMW Assist account. Accept the information into your navigation system (if applicable) or have the information displayed in your radio or iDrive display for your convenience while en route to the destination. Call your destination using Bluetooth integration by selecting the displayed telephone number. (BMW Assist account holder e-mail address must be on subscriber agreement to allow MyInfo function to send to your specific vehicle.)

Text from:
http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/owners/navigation/bmw_assist.html

#6 ·
Well, I guess you get other things with the plan too... I actually just renewed my plan - I use the send to car all the time also; and that alone was not worth $200 a year as you state - but I figured the emergency notification thing, having had to use that feature in an onstar equipment car years ago makes it an easy decision for me...

Also in Canada you get a few other services at no extra cost because we cant have google local search as part of our service plan I just learned, as its STILL not available in Canada...

The fee really is needed to pay for the cell plan in the car and the CRTC fees etc I guess so that the car can get the info from the cell network.... if that makes you feel any better about the costs....

#7 ·
Yeah thanks bmguy, that makes me feel better, but what else I am getting for the money? I looked at the features and I see nothing beneficial, really.

I just tried SMS-ing an address to the car (Android paired with my BMW) and that does not get recognized by the iDrive office.. Crap. What else can I do other than paying for this? Is there any way to get the address recognized from an SMS or maybe email?

#9 · (Edited)
well, I haven't tried to to use address from email, but you can from my understanding use a phonebook entry to get nav guidance from..

do you always goto an address thats in your phonebook? if not... I suspect the only way would be to pay the subscription fee...

p.s. be warned that the address book method requires the address is entered in a "perfect" way. I tried it a few times but it was painful so I stopped using that myself.

#12 ·
Yes, a subscription to the BMW Assist Safety Plan (the lower of the two service tiers) is required for MyInfo (Google send-to-car) to work. As noted, a good portion of the $199 (US) annual fee covers the cost of the cellular service to the car. At $16.67 per month it's kind of a bargain when you keep that in mind. They're not trying to gouge us; the functions depend on the cellular network and somebody has to pay for that service.

#13 ·
I think the profit is mostly for the cell company; In Canada we only have one plan which is about the same as the safety plan in the USA and they add a few select features as they don't have BMWs online services in canada...

Another reason for the costs here:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2009/08/11/canada-cellphone-rates-expensive-oecd.html

which supports this claim, some text for those that don't want to/cant click through the link
"The average Canadian cellphone user is paying among the highest bills in the developed world, according to a new international study.

Using a comparison package of 780 calls made, 600 text messages and eight multimedia messages sent per year, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development found that Canada has the third-highest wireless rates among developed countries."

So.. as you can see, BMW is making some money, but the cell companies are doing really well for themsleves here in Canada

#15 ·
OK, I hear you guys and you're right. That does put me at ease somewhat. Otherwise, I'd be like Argh$%^&* :mad::mad::mad: :rofl::rofl:

What we need to figure out is what format makes iDrive's nav recognize addresses. Ie. I have free incoming SMSs (and free sending from Google Voice) which get synced with iDrive messages. If Google send to car can be picked up by iDrive Nav as addresses, what format must be used in an SMS to reconginze it too?

There, we have ourselves a task to solve. I'm sure many will run into this soon if not already. Free way of sending addresses to iDrive Nav. It must be possible. I tried plain address and coordinates in plain text to no avail. I'm sure google knows, crap. How do we find out?

#19 ·
Well, I did not pay and did nothing else to specifically cancel it. Maybe it's the same thing.

BUT, I am experimenting now with adding a Google contact with an address which I'll simply override for each new client. It takes a snap. So far, it's working OK and Nav picks it up!!! I am so relieved.... :D

#22 · (Edited)
I dont think that will work as that also (again in the Canadian market) requires a Valid BMW assist account, and also uses "send to car function"

I think the use the gmail address book sync is a pretty decent work around;

So, the phonebook did not work for some reason, but simply adding a new Google contact in Gmail synced right away with iDrive Office Contacts and voilla...
my mistake, I did mean the address book in your phone, and via office feature also; I just referred to it generically as the address book.

Sounds like you found a workaround that will work for you;

#23 ·
Yes, much appreciated. This forum is great. I probably would have not guessed that one on my own... seriously. I'd be going around and bitching, all frustrated LOL

And yes, I've figured BMW remote app also uses cell (or is it not satellite really?), and would probably be of no use for me anyway. I am still curious how Needs gets it free in the US though. Maybe BMW USA picks up the cost of their cell connection?

Anyhow, I am good to go. Case closed LOL. Screw BMW Assist and cell providers :D:D:D Long live bluetooth!

#29 ·
The BMW Assist Safety Plan is free for the duration of the new car warranty period in the USA. That plan is all that's required to get Google's Send to Car feature (as well as remote unlock, emergency notification of accident, etc.).

At the end of the 4 year warranty period it requires you to pay for it. If you let it expire you can restart it anywhere from 6 to 8 months after expiration by just calling BMW Assist. If you let it lapse longer than about 6 to 8 months then the cellular number assigned to your vehicle is re-provisioned and assigned somewhere else essentially "hard disabling" the car's SIM card and it then requires a visit to the dealer to reprogram the car to restart the service.

Mike

#30 ·
Ditto

#28 ·
In the US, it is my understanding that as a part of the Ultimate Service, you get the basic functions of Assist during that period. Send to car is one of those basic services. The concierge services are in the premium plan.

#32 ·
sent 3 google search to car last night, did not show immediately, like in past. called SOS, spoke with CA, and reviewed situation. Asked repeatedly if this service was discontinued, she could find no information to support, and verified it is an included service at no charge, and does not require the $200 fee. Offered to have complimentary concierge if needed, and would escalate to tech. 2 minutes later all 3 came over, probably less than 10 min from original send. Also tested remote app google search and that worked.

#34 ·
I like the features so I will pay for it. In Canada, as noted, it is included in BMW Assist.
In my case, I advised my insurance company about the 'Stolen Vehicle Recovery' feature and saved $100 so the cost of BMW Assist is really only $99 extra to me.
Check your insurance.

#39 ·
I've had my car since June of 2011, and GoogleMaps > MyMessages is still going strong.

I also believe my car (in the U.S.) came w/ 4 years of BMW Assist for free?

Are there even roads in Canada? I just thought the huskies that you hook up to the front of your BMW instinctively know where they're going? :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.