BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Dropping the engine out of a 2012 X3...

35K views 130 replies 24 participants last post by  sodigito 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! How goes it!?

Thanks to working at a body shop this happens every now and then... We had a 2012 BMW X3 get towed in about a month or so with a really hard hit in the front. So hard that the frame rails need to be fixed. The engine needs to come out to have enough room cut and weld etc. I'm pretty well versed in Honda's, Acura's, Toyota's, and Lexus' but never really messed with BMW's. Never really liked the Euro engineering. But I figured i'll give this a shot at work. I'm one of the Mechanics at the body shop. So here goes! Here's what has been done so far!

BTW ANY ONE WHO CAN HELP OR HAS POINTERS PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

SORRY FOR SOME OF THE CRAPPY CELL PHONE PICTURES!!!

1. Here's the X3 shortly after they tore it down for the estimate.

2. We needed to get into the front of the car a little more so we started to take the hood and cowl off, powered down the car and got some of the harness in the engine out of the way. Also removed the air box. BTW the cowl comes apart in about 5 different places. :thumbdwn:

3. Now that we had gotten this far it was time to evacuate the Air Conditioning system and get the X3 ready to move over to the body shop where the frame rack is. I was wondering how the heck we were going to move this thing sense it the paddle PRNDL all electric... How do we get it into Neutral? :mad: Well after a lot of Google searches and calls to the local BMW dealer I finally figured out how to put the trans into Neutral!
1. Remove trans shield (Cloth one in the middle)
2. There's an allen head bolt on the drivers side of the trans you must turn till it stops.
3. Pictures below

-The allen bolt you need to tighten is the one to the left (strait across to the left) of the "90" written on drive shaft.

4. The interior got rocked too with many of the air bags going off inside. Requiring the dash, center console, and seats to be removed. The dash will be replaced a log with the headliner.

5. I'm trying to stay organized with the build/rebuild having bolts and parts like crazy!

That's the furthest i've gotten on the X3 for now. We will be moving it to the body shop in the next couple days to get it on the frame rack! I'll have more pictures as soon as we get to move it! Thanks for reading!! :thumbup:

See less See more
#84 · (Edited)
02420X3 Man i worked my @$$ off on the thing! Im actually doing more work to it today haha i'll have updates soon!!

glennk On the X3?? I dont think so... they're brand new....

Should have more updates for you guys today after work!!

#86 ·
The amount of work is unbelievable. More unbelievable would be if the insurance didn't total the vehicle.

#87 ·
jgroarke Thanks man!! haha I try my hardest!! There will be much more to come too!! So please keep reading!!! :D;)

noka The amount of work in unbelievable! and there's still so much more to come!! Wait till we got into the Interior and headliner of this thing!!! :mad: :banghead: :drink:

#88 ·
Really awesome work.

Just a general question. Im guessing the carfax would report this on their history, would it just say type of collision and severity or just the type. IMAGINE THE DV claim for this vehicle.

#89 ·
NoI4plz This will for sure show up on the CarFax. The nice thing about CarFax is that they will even tell you how much damage Money wise was done. So if some one did get the CarFax on this im sure there eye would be HUGE when they saw the amount of damage done. lol

#91 ·
UPDATE 1.10.13

What's happenin!? Man you guys it's ridiculous how much work I've put into this d@mn thing!! I've started on the interior with replacing the dash... fellas im telling you right now... NEVER EVER DO IT!!! hahaha Pulling the motor was easier! Craziness. haha I've got some updates for you guys from all around the car mechanical and interior wise!... This car was actually going to see the expected delivery date which is Friday of this week... until we ran into a snag with the radiator... National back order and we wont see it till next Tuesday i believe... So that kinda hurt us on the set back... but its all good! we're gunna keep truckin on it! I've got some crazy stuff to show you guys for the airbag connectors too!!!

So here's some pictures!!

Went ahead and built the Radiator support! Look how strait it is now! haha!!

Harnesses ran and new airbag sensors installed.
(Drivers Side)

(Passengers Side)

Where oil cooler should mount... Sense the bracket that holds it was shattered we went to order a new bracket... only way to get the bracket... as you can guess you must but a new oil cooler to get the bracket... So don't break your oil cool mounts gents. haha oil cooler lines are ran.

New intercooler pipe installed.

Front of the engine.

Bolted a few things on. (Fender brackets and what ever that black plastick thing is LOL)

All body Grommets have found their resting places.

Getting ready to wire up the ride height sensor.

Front coming together...

Wiring the passenger side air bag sensor.

Continued...

#92 ·
AND SO IT BEGINS... The Interior!... at first it was easy... and the i wanted my .38 special... :bang:

And then i got into this... :irate:

For those of you who want to do the Sport steering wheel swap... prolly not worth it... it took me for ever to figure out how to get the air bag out. But theres 2 little hidden pins behind the steering wheel the release the air bag. so that should help if you guys ever do the swap.

Pins you need move.

16MM bolt in the middle... run it off and shake the steering wheel a little bit and it'll be free!

Full view.

SH!T's about to get serious... lol

OUT

Geting away from the interior for a bit... wanted to...:banghead: the entire time i was oulling that dash haha

So i mounted up the NEW oil cooler...

Here's how she sits this morning! (1.10.13)

Here's the crazy Cool/Scary air bag thing i wanted to show you... These air bags explose so powerfully, that the heat from the explosion Melts the air bag harnesses to the air bag!!! Crazy!!! It's like this on both drivers air bag and passenger air bag! (Drivers steering wheel airbag pictured.) :jawdrop:

Hope you guys got a kick outa this update!!!

#93 ·
TK, great stuff! I really had no idea on how complex and complicated these things have become. My hat is off to you for being able to figure it all out and put in right again. Did miss not seeing more photos of your blonde shop assistant though!:rofl: Anyway, this has been one of the best threads I have seen. Thanks!:thumbup:

#98 ·
This has been awesome. All those parts !! Wow

#99 ·
UPDATE 1.14.13

What up everyone!? Another long weekend of overtime put in at work! Got some updates for you!!!

So with the old dash out we decided to start on the head liner removal. :eeps:

Side note: Here's where you battery is located. Under your cargo storage area floor.

Getting the Interior torn apart to remove the headliner.

This is the Center console in the headliner. Took a picture of the plugs to remember where they went! :thumbup:

Everything up front removed...

These handles are suuuuch a pain to remove!!!

Got the headliner removed!

With the headliner out it was time to put in the new dash... All new airbag have been bolted in. but not wired up yet. We have to put power to the car a couple times before we can hook up the new bags...

Getting ready to go back together...

Slowly putting it all back in...

I got really lucky and had a reference X3 come in for a rear hit this week so i took some pictures to help me out!!

Here's What is had come in for... a little tap in the @$$

And thru the steering column together... The Steering wheel is on now. but without the airbag in it. (Not Pictured...)

Hopefully the parts i'm waiting on like the radiator and some wiring harnesses for the airbags will show up between today and Wednesday... So cross your fingers!!

That's all i've got for now! More to come by the end of the week im sure!!!! :thumbup:

Let me know what you guys think!!

#105 · (Edited)
UPDATE 1.14.13

[
TKO88 Can you help me? I'm Carlos from Spain I've got a X3 without paddles, I've done some progress like to change steering wheel with paddles and I've done the wire harness, but I think something wrong, can you tell me if the wires paddles ends at switch selector gear, I'm afraid that I haven't supose well, cos I've saw one of your pictures where I see the conector badly and I think that the numenbers is equal at mine that not have paddles, can you check my picture and tell me if the conector has 7 or more wire?

Thanks, sorry for my poor english

Attachments

#100 ·
Don't take the wrong way but if that were my vehicle, I'd rather see the seats covered with something when tools are laying on them, to avoid additional repairs :).

#102 ·
+1

The interior wood grain panels scratch so easily and the leather seats can as well. How will you get the interior looking spotless when you are done? There seems to be a fine layer of grit/dust in every nook and cranny. Just curious as I am obsessive compulsive when it comes to keeping my X3 clean. I cringe every time I look at the photo's even though I think this thread is awesome!

#101 ·
noka No worries i was sure to be careful with the tools. IK what kind of car i'm dealing with lol i dont want to be paying for a seat... trust me haha

#103 ·
I wanted to thank the OP for the great pictures and details. I'm extremely anal and know what you are saying, but realistically it is obvious that the poster is taking great detail and taking many pictures which is great. I know other shops I've been in were a mess compared to this one. You'd be amazed the sh$t that goes on in some shops.

I'll say this - BMW sure doesn't make these things easy to work on. Every little interior clip seems like a one time use item.

I really appreciate the battery and trunk details as I've been thinking about adding more sound insulation to decrease exhaust and road noise.

Definitely a great reference thread.

#104 ·
I wanted to thank the OP for the great pictures and details. I'm extremely anal and know what you are saying, but realistically it is obvious that the poster is taking great detail and taking many pictures which is great. I know other shops I've been in were a mess compared to this one. You'd be amazed the sh$t that goes on in some shops.

I'll say this - BMW sure doesn't make these things easy to work on. Every little interior clip seems like a one time use item.

I really appreciate the battery and trunk details as I've been thinking about adding more sound insulation to decrease exhaust and road noise.

Definitely a great reference thread.
+1!!! OP has done an AWESOME job. Interesting to see the car being "de-constructed" and then put back together. BMW is using a LOT of plastic to keep the weight down on this car. My question to the OP is, what parts of the vehicle do you think will develop squeaks and rattles over time (due to so much plastic used)?

#106 ·
kitercarlos Man i really am not sure what to tell you?? where is that plug located??

Want the Thrill I'm also our detailer here. So I'll be going thru it with a fine toothed comb haha!! I'm the same way with my interiors!!

glennk With my experience as a Lexus tech, ive noticed the interment cluster will squeak over bumpers and rattle a little but these BMW's are solid so i've seen! I'm Very Impressed by how well their interior is put together!! I dont think you'll find much squeaking!

UPDATE 1.17.13

All the Interior is back together!! I'll have some updates for you guys very soon!!

=)

If i can answer and questions plz let me know! AND i love hearing your feed back! Thanks for posting guys!!

#108 ·
TKO, when you get this all wrapped up and detailed out, it would be nice to see a "before and after" photo -- along with the final cost of this little adventure! You really have put together a really instructive thread here that has shown up parts of the X3 that we never even knew existed!:rofl: I now understand a little better the exorbitant rates for repairs we are charged. Thanks again!:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.