BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

No moonroof on X5 xDrive35i !!

14K views 66 replies 20 participants last post by  0428 
#1 ·
I was discussing with my brother who just took the delivery of his 2011 X5 xDrive35i. Its the base model and not the the Premium or the SA model as he wanted to keep the cost low.

He took Navigation and bluetooth etc but stayed away for this Convenience Package as he thought he will have the basic moonroof so no need for the Panoramic moonroof which comes as part of this $2700 package. And when he took the delivery he realized it didn't come up w/ any moonroof at all !!!! I myself have a 2002 BMW 3 series and a new 2011 535i xDrive both of which had moonroof by default !

Is this the case w/ only the base version of X5 ? He is really upset over this and thinking about selling this of now !!! Any aftermarket thing where they will replace the entire roof ? I know it will cost him a ton but just exploring the options....

#2 ·
The base model don't come w/it, and the pano roof is the only option avail, so there is no std moonroof.

#3 ·
Yes, I agree. Issue is with the CA at the dealership..he should have notified my brother that the base model doesn't come with the moonroof. Even the Convenience Package is confusing - it says:
Convenience Package $2,700
BMW Assist with Bluetooth
Ambiance lighting
Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
Panoramic moonroof

By this one can only assume the option here is for the panoramic one and that the moonroof is by default !

#9 ·
WTF? How can you show up to take delivery of the car, and not realize that it doesn't have a pano roof? It's pretty hard to miss!

Yes, I agree. Issue is with the CA at the dealership..he should have notified my brother that the base model doesn't come with the moonroof.
Why in the world is it the CA's fault? Your brother was trying to be cheap. It's not the CA's fault your brother succeeded.

Even the Convenience Package is confusing - it says:
Convenience Package $2,700
BMW Assist with Bluetooth
Ambiance lighting
Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
Panoramic moonroof

By this one can only assume the option here is for the panoramic one and that the moonroof is by default !
Why would you ever assume there is more than one moonroof available? Have you ever seen an X5 with any other type of moonroof? Why would you think you would get "the moonroof" by default if you didn't order the package that includes it?

I hope your brother leased the car - otherwise, it is going to be very, very hard to find a buyer for it. He made a mistake when he ordered the car. He had the opportunity to refuse delivery when he reaqlized his mistake, but didn't. IMHO it's time to man up and take responsibility rather than whining about it and trying to blame others.

#5 ·
Your brother should of asked to make sure when he made the purchase first of all.
Second of all if hes already taken the car out of the lot, it doesn't matter if there's only 10 miles on the speedo, he's looking at a $5K+ lost if he decides to sell it. Cutting the roof, that will cost even more.
The better solution is to decline the car, and tell them you will order another one with the pano roof. I hope its not too late and he can still do that!

#6 ·
Second of all if hes already taken the car out of the lot, it doesn't matter if there's only 10 miles on the speedo, he's looking at a $5K+ lost if he decides to sell it. Cutting the roof, that will cost even more
Thanks for the response. Yes, issue is that he already took the delivery of the vehicle on Saturday. He never realized this as he is under the impression that it always comes w/ the standard moonroof...I know he is looking at losing 5k+ if wants to get rid of this !! My advise to him is use it for a year and sell and go for another...

Michael_s - I know, this is exactly what I told my brother...I have 2 BMW's and on the first one which I had for 8 years, I don't even remember using the moonroof more than twice ... I think its bothering him now that he knows its not there :) and says w/ 2 kids having a moonroof helps on long distance travel...

Still, having no moonroof as a standard option :mad:

#8 · (Edited)
I personally have not seen an X5 without the pano roof, ever. So he will have a hard time selling it, whether today or 2 years later, he would have to take a big hit to move it regardless.

I guess at this point is for him to decide what's more important, the displeasure of driving the pano roof less X5 (something he might actually get used to) or $5-$6 Gs.

I know, it blows. :jack:

#17 ·
I personally have not seen an X5 without the pano roof, ever. So he will have a hard time selling it, whether today or 2 years later, he would have to take a big hit to move it regardless.
Night have something to do with the sunroof being standard in the U.S., up until this year, meaning every E70 sold in the U.S. was produced with a sunroof.

Now that BMW is selling E70's in the U.S. without sunroofs, I would expect a few more to be on the market and the resale to be OK. I myself see a sunroof as nothing but trouble, particularly on older used vehicles, and would pay a premium on a used E70 to get one without the sunroof.

A large, more complex two-stage sunroof like the E70 has a very good chance of being a costly repair/replacement expense after the warranty is gone, i.e., if a sunroof doesn't really float your boat, finding a used on without the sun roof is worth a premium.

#10 ·
^^ Dude, I know the Celtics kicked LeBron's ass twice, and dismantled Stoudemire's team, but don't be so cocky on a fellow bimmerfester dude from NY, he's the one that made the mistake and have to live with it, not you. :wahwah: Let's go Yankees!

#11 ·
I could care less where he's from, and whether he's a sports fan or not. But I'm sick of folks whining that it's someone else's fault when they shoot themselves in the foot.

BTW How about them Eagles?

#12 · (Edited)
I could care less where he's from, and whether he's a sports fan or not. But I'm sick of folks whining that it's someone else's fault when they shoot themselves in the foot.

BTW How about them Eagles?
Your a 100% right. Your spending so much money on a car YOU should know what YOU are getting. It's not the sales persons fault.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

#13 ·
Most people when buying a luxury car, they tend to get a lot of the options available for the car. I don't know anyone who bought a luxury car and going for the base model and barely adding any options on it. Before I put in my order for my 2011 X5 Sport Activity, I did a lot of research on the car. I knew what was included for each trim on the X5.

#14 ·
Trust me, the big moonroof is nice, but when it breaks, it is a huge PITA and 99% of the time, requires replacing the entire unit. There's also the good chance of leakage and clogs in the drains. Plus, the mechanism for one portion of the roof can break over time, so you get a stuck glass panel. Better off without it.

#16 ·
I'm on my third X5 and have never had a moonroof leak, clog or break. You must have received a bad one!

#15 ·
If the car is not everything you want, if there is a whisker out of place, simply don't drive it off the lot....

To the OP: Your brother is embarrassing himself by whinging about this...

Finally, the ONLY reason I like a glass sunroof is to look out for aerial CHP/speed enforcement. Seriously. Take it or leave it personally. In the X5 (as it is not my speediest car) I'd probably have taken it without the sunroof. (AzNM has it right^^)

#18 ·
Whoa, this sucks big time, for your brother. Moral is, if you're buying luxury, it's all the way or nothing.

The bright side is he can trade it in for a Murano convertible and get extra $$$ in return, this will more than make up for lost "panorama" in any SUV.

LOL, my apologies, I had to crack that joke. So mean.

#22 ·
Absurd--

Is there no standard for personal responsibility?

The buyer had an opportunity to upgrade to the PMR- he elected not to do so.

The buyer had another opportunity to decline the delivery once he observed that the X5 had no moon roof (at all).

He failed twice to be his own best friend.

Jeez- man up and move on.

#32 ·
Seems to me that BMW makes the Base X5 available without pano roof, roof rails, or leather, just so folks can have the "prestige" of the Roundel without the monthly payment. Nothing wrong with that, but as the saying goes, you gets what you pays for. Bad form to order a stripper then blame the world for your own mistake.

#34 ·
Seems to me that BMW makes the Base X5 available without pano roof, roof rails, or leather, just so folks can have the "prestige" of the Roundel without the monthly payment. Nothing wrong with that, but as the saying goes, you gets what you pays for...
There definitely are some "comforts" missing with the base, but IMHO the best parts of the 2011 X5 35i is the fantastic twin-scroll turbo motor, the awesome new eight speed gearbox, BMW handling (SUV version at least), and surprisingly good fuel economy. And you can get the pano roof, wood trim, bluetooth integration, ipod integration, heated seats, and a few other goodies with the options allowed on the base model.

Don't judge it against a $70K loaded X5, but instead to a $45K Japanese SUV.

#44 ·
Bad form to order a stripper then blame the world for your own mistake.
The person who bought this "stripper" wasn't moaning and blaming anyone. Now was he? Can you re-re-re-read his posts? It was his brother who came onto this board asking for advice on what to do and seeking the best way to deal with this error. Instead of solid suggestions, you blast the poor fellow with stripper and prestige and rich and poor comments.

Its like someone making fun of your M3 beacuse you couldn't afford to get the real deal, the M6. :flush:

#41 ·
If I were him I would be happy that he got an X5 for a good price. I also would have asked about every option that I wanted or thought that it came with.

A moonroof? Seriously? Weren't they a fad in the 70s and 80s? I don't know anyone who would love to have a moonroof. Generally people are upset that BMWs come with a moonroof. A moonroof is one more thing to malfunction anyhow.

#43 ·
^^ yeah, while I generally splurge on cars, one thing is always true:

There is ALWAYS someone with a faster car, a more expensive car...and to feel that somehow your identity or worth is tied to the value of what you drive is rather sad (and ultimately unfulfilling).

You actually don't 'gets what you pays for'....

A

#46 ·
Yes and no.

If you are buying a car because you think it will give you prestige, good karma, a full head of hair and a 28 year-old hard-body girlfriend, you are fooling yourself.

OTOH If you spec a sunroof when you buy the car, you get a sunroof. So in that case (like the OP's "brother") you really does gets what you pays for.

#49 ·
Fair enough. I apologize if you were offended by my poor choice of words. I in no way meant to disparage folks who buy the Base / Standard model, as there's a lot of value in optioning up a car exactly the way you want it.

#53 ·
I thought the X5 does not come with a moonroof, its either the pano or nothing.

#54 ·
Correct, there is only one sunroof/moonroof, whatever you want to call it (the terminology in the industry is not precise).

Thinking that since the option is called a "panoramic moonroof," the base model comes with a "normal" moonroof is like thinking that since an option is called "BMWAssist with bluetooth," the base model comes with "BMWAssist" (without bluetooth), or that since an option is called "Space-saver Spare," the base model comes with a "regular sized" spare, etc. It's just a descriptive adjective.

#57 · (Edited)
But read what he said again, the brother test drove one that HAD the moonroof. Now how's that possible?
Btw, there's nothing urban about that green. No rapper would want to be seen in that.

#59 ·
For the 86th time, there is no moonroof for the X5, it's either pano or nothing. I must be crazy?!

#60 · (Edited)
It is a pano MOONROOF.

So yes, up until this year every X5 came with a moonroof. To be specifc, a tinted, two-stage pano moonroof, but a moonroof indeed, i.e., if one wishes to plau games with English, I could say there is no pano moonroof, only a tinited pano moon roof, but that would be as silly as saying the X5 does not come with a moonroof.

#61 ·
Seems pretty clear to me that the brother test drove a demo that was either a 35i Standard with the convenience package, or a 351 Premium or Sport Activity, both of which have the Pano Moonroof standard. (Makes sense, as I bet no dealer would order a demo WITHOUT the pano roof, as that would make the unit pretty hard to move when it was time to sell it).

Not sure that there is any accepted definition in the industry, but I would call a retractable metal roof panel a sunroof; a retractable glass roof panel a moonroof; and a retractable glass panel inserted in an otherwise mostly-glass roof a panoramic moonroof.

From subsequent comments made by the OP, I am guessing that the brother is an immigrant, and English may not be his native language. So the CA may have asked him all the right questions, but he may not have understood him properly. (Trying hard to give both the brother and the CA the benefit of the doubt here).

I also applaud the brother for the fact that he picked a really nice ride for his first car purchase. (My first car purchase was a 1980 Pontiac Grand Prix, which I bought from my employer when I changed jobs, so he clearly has me beat by a mile). Sucks that it didn't work out as well as it could have.

#63 · (Edited)
You still don't get it penguin!!! :rofl:

The whole thread was about the brother thinks when not ordering the pano roof you get the smaller moonroof as standard. Memba those? :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.