BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

645 Convertible Top Problem

64K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Harrisondx 
#1 ·
I am having problems with my convertible top on my 645. It will not go up or down. The red light flshes on and off. On my dash, it states that the top is not closed, but it is closed.
Damsel in distress. Please help.

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the board.

Is the space for the top in the trunk in the open position?
There is a little handle on the right to pull it down and out. It folds up to give more trunk space but needs to be down to hold the top.

#5 ·
I had the same problem as well, i brought it to the dealer they have checked and wanted me to replace the whole top, i said **** that so brought back home and when summer came around it started to work on itself so i found out that the only reason why it did that its because during the winter u don't open and it freezes... Keep tryin' cause i was tryin' everyday until it worked!

#6 ·
On the back seat driver side there is a black box with to wires on the soft top u cud side by the back window pull the soft top a lil touch the wire and the back window will go down and the red light will go a away u need to change that it's like a switch for the back window and the trunk won't open cuz off that

#11 ·
Could be that a bulb is about to go out

#13 ·
05 645 Convertible Top Problems

I have a 05 645 convertible with 48K miles. I've been having the recurring problem with the drop top as described below. Has anyone had any luck getting any relief from BMW for cars that are out of warranty? It seems to me that this problem is fairly widespread and BMW should step up and take care of the problem for it's loyal customers.

#14 ·
you're probably not going to get any help from the dealer or BMW on the 2005. Even though there is a TSB and they probably should have done a recall, I don't expect that they will.

Best bet is to keep relying on the famous (and now legendary) "Boesman fix" - if it gets really bad or multiple problems, you might be able to talk a dealer service manager into giving you some sort of discount (or maybe goodwill the sensors/parts for free as a long shot).

I've been fortunate and Global has fixed my top a couple of times and covered it under CPO (only $50 deductible).

#15 ·
I have the same prob. Flashing red light. As far as I can tell the hydraulics are not locking the back cover. If you can pull it up by hand that is the case. If any one out there knows how to get the system to lock please let me know.hopefully this will complete the cycle and the red light will stop flashing and will be ready to put the top up again.

#16 ·
Convertible Top

After countless occurrences of the mysterious "convertible top not locked" warning, I called my service adviser at Global Imports in Atlanta. He indicated that this is common problem, particularly in pre 2008 models. The solution is to replace the "angle of rotation sensor" and recalibrate / realign the top. This fix cost $360 and so far seems to have done the trick. We'll see what happens when the weather gets hot. I'll keep you all posted.

#18 ·
After countless occurrences of the mysterious "convertible top not locked" warning, I called my service adviser at Global Imports in Atlanta. He indicated that this is common problem, particularly in pre 2008 models. The solution is to replace the "angle of rotation sensor" and recalibrate / realign the top. This fix cost $360 and so far seems to have done the trick. We'll see what happens when the weather gets hot. I'll keep you all posted.
Yes - Global has fixed the same error on my top a couple of times over the last 2.5 years (fortunately covered under CPO). They do a good job.

#17 ·
convertible top

Thanks for the info on the top,I appriciate. I have taken out the inner lining out of the trunk so I can put my hand in to push the locking cam forward to lock the tunnel cover . Now to recalibrate hummmmm wil have to do some more looking around on how to do that.

#20 ·
There is, go to the following thread, scroll down to the post by Boesman10, there are illustrations with what needs to be done to free the top.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226403&highlight=boesman10&page=5

After you do this, go all the way to the second to the last page, # 13 in that thread, scroll down and Boesman has a recommended modification to help alleviate this issue permanently (or that is the hopes).

#21 ·
Sorry for the delayed response.

I ended up taking mine to the dealer (Global Imports in Atlanta). They fixed the problem and it has not recurred. The cost was $337.11. Here is the description of the service as documented by the technician:
"PERFORMED SHORT TEST NOTED FAULT A6A4 in CMV SPEED EXCEEDED, CONSULTED sib 54 17 06 NOTED EARLY PRODUCTION CODE# ON REAR BOW ANGLE OF ROTATION SENSOR, REPLACED ANGLE OF ROTATION SENSOR WITH MODIFIED MOUNT, CLEARED FAULT, VERIFIED OPERATION OF TOP IN ALL POSITIONS"

Hope this helps Best of luck. I ended up getting rid of my Bimmer. It was falling apart after on 58K miles. The nail in the coffin for me as an $8600 transmission replacement. I'll never buy another BMW.

#25 ·
Stops half way

Dear all,

I'm in a small problem. Just got my car back from the work shop where thay had to do some work on the car including the roof.

I got the car today and the garage is now closed for the summer and I'm doing a big European tour. All fine.

BUT. My top is stopping when at the phase when the roof is supposed to lift. The pump sounds just as usual. I tried several tomes and when I just let it be and the rear part points straight up it starts to close in a non rythmic way like the pressure is gone in the system. And suddenly I managed to open the roof. Then I couldn't close it. Same thing but recersed, when the roof was supposed to start close nothing happens and the pump sounds just fine. After pulling my hair and several attempts it worked again, it closed.

I think they missed to top up the hydraulic oil and there is not enough pressure. I can't see any leaks.

What do you think? Where is the pump located and how do I check an fill?

It's a M6 2012.

Thanks all.

#29 ·
Solution,,,,, Replace the sensor which is located on the drivers side, rear passenger seat area. Boseman's fix is actually tapping the sensor causing it to make contact. The sensor gets a worn dead spot which is causing the problem. It took me the first time about an hour to actually get the whole thing changed. Figuring it all out how to remove and replace was the bigger issue. You have to lift the top up and then stop, prop/brace the top and then go to work in between the bracketry to change the sensor. It was a bit tedious...

I did the Boseman first, which told me the problem was directly behind the cloth in that area. It is not related to any wires or cable. Tapping the area is doing the same thing as "tapping the starter" did to get an old school running... lololol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.