BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Considering getting new 535i...options advice

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TJPark01 
#1 ·
I have a deposit down on a 2011 Audi S4. But I recently saw a 2011 5 series and can't help that I would be getting more of a car with the new 5 series. The way I have it optioned, there's only may be $7000 difference between the two. If it was like $15K difference between the two I'd go with the Audi, but only $7000? No brainer. Plus the 5 series is one rung higher in prestige and luxury too, I think, than the S4. S4 is a souped-up A4 that weighs as much as a 5 series, and 5 series may be slightly more expensive but I feel like it'd better money spent, since I'd be getting a mid-level luxury sedan rather than an entry-level one. Anyways, the option I can't decide whether to get or not was the Active Ventilation Package. Does it work well and does it make the seats harder? My current MB leather seats torture me on a hot sunny day. Some ventilated seats are almost not worth the price because they don't work well - I wonder how the new 5 series' work? And the air conditioning unit inside the seat makes the seat hard! I also plan on getting premium 1 & 2, comfort access, folding rear seats. And the paddle shifters...are they convenient or more gimmicky? I see the standard auto comes with manual shifting capability... Is the upgraded auto transmission with the paddle shifter package any different from the standard auto transmission? Also, when the transmission is in "auto" mode, can I trigger a downshift by pulling on the paddle without putting the shift lever in manual mode? Any other options you recommend or advise to stay away from? Thanks?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
On vented seats, some have reported it works well in climates like Arizona and Florida. I tested out myself in our cooler climate here near the ocean on the West coast (I needed the space heater this morning), and it didn't seem to make a difference for me in 77F sunny weather. On hot and humid days on the East Coast, it might work better and make a difference. I've seen reports of it working well in conjunction with tinted windows/window shades, and the car can be programmed to vent twice a day while parked (fans come on and recirculate air outside to inside while parked).

The thing to be concerned with on vented seats is the impact on the durability of the leather over time with all those holes, and what happens if you ever spill a liquid on them (damage to the electronics), and what other smells come out after new cars smell wears out. But, some people are totally sold on vented seats and would never order a car without.

On paddle shifts, they overide the auto tranny even in auto mode. I think after 8 second of inactivity, the auto tranny takes over and starts shifting again unless you are in manual mode.

Edit: CA showed me an car w/ vented seats that as ~8 years old, it had worn in a corner right around the holes. Message was, don't get it unless you really need it.

#3 ·
I drove a F10 5 series w/o vent seats and one w/vent seats during a hot spell in Germany. The vent seats were not hard, and the effect was rather subtle. You couldn't feel much, but your back and bottom don't sweat with the vent seats, and I did feel damp with the non-vent. I can't say anything about durability.

#4 ·
*S4 if you want the back road hotrod. F10 if you want space and luxury. I would suggest ZDH Dynamic Handling Package, which also forces Sport Package. Car looks and handles much differently, especially if you plan on being aggressive with the car.
*The active ventilation seat works very well. Don't expect air conditioning for your bum, it's a fan. No they don't make the seats harder, what makes the seats hard is the leather. Dakota is harder than Nappa. Nappa is like butter, but most likely you have to order this, unless you step up to a 550i.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.