BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Mrs Dunderhi plans to stay home next time...

32K views 380 replies 41 participants last post by  SuperTerp 
#1 ·
... we go car shopping.

So, last week I noticed an ever so minor squeak coming from somewhere just behind my left ear in the 550. I've checked my safety belt mount, the door frame, checked the plastic bits, the rubber bits, and I just can't seem to find it. After a few days Mrs Dunderhi confirmed that it actually existed and that I wasn't making it up. So the obvious next step was to think about a new car. ;)

Since we currently have two sedans in our garage we figured we might due for a change to something more utilitarian like an X5 and something less utilitarian like a Z4. Best of all, a fully loaded X5 5.0 and a Z4 35is would combine for a lower total lease payment than my current 550 loan payment. Heck, there would even be an extra $30 of equity we can cash out of the deal. Well, if it lowers the monthly payments, then Mrs. D is all for it, so she said let's go car shopping.

I recommended we start with the competition, as we enjoyed our previous MB SL & GL. At the MB dealer, I started to check out the SLK and it wasn't even 30 seconds before a CA swooped down to start telling me about obvious factoids, like "it has a folding hard top". Geez give me a break! After a few minutes, Mrs D grew weary of the CA and ventured off on her own. I'm a bit more tolerant and let him hover over me as I checked the car out. When I was done with the SLK, I decided to check out the SL550. Mrs D intercepted me and declared that there was a car that I really needed to see. I told her I really wanted to check out the SL550 that I had in my sights. She followed me to the SL, but she kept saying that there was something I really needed to see. Well after I got done with my thorough inspection, I indulged Mrs D and followed her over to a diamond white SL63. It had the carbon fiber tidbits, 19" front/20" rear wheels, the performance pack, and other options giving it a healthy sticker price of $168k. She has good taste in cars; luckily there wasn't an SLS vert on the showroom floor. I was sold, but she wasn't done, because she wanted me to follow her to a GL450. Although I was still drooling over the SL63, the CA started drooling in overdrive and he asked me if I wanted to buy an SL63 AND a GL? I rolled my eyes, thought to myself, well maybe, but not from you. :rolleyes:

After I had enough of the annoying CA we ventured over to the BMW dealer around the corner. I went straight to the Z4 and wouldn't you know it, Mrs D found the M6 vert and wanted me to see it right away. The M6 was very nice, but I had to remind her that she was there to check out the X5! Eventually we made our way to an X5. We met with a very helpful CA who knew his BMWs and quickly realized I knew my BMWs. We got along. After some good exchanges we ended our discussion about when we thought the ED M6s will no longer come out of allocation and a good deal can be struck. He was eager to strike a good deal ASAP, but I am hoping to be patient... well I guess it depends on whether or not I can find that squeak.

Anyway, I started the day, thinking that we can get a X5 for Mrs D a not too expensive toy for me, but now I can't decide between an SL or an M6. If only Mrs D stayed home. :rofl:

P.S. Tomorrow morning, Mrs D plans to ride in the back seat of the 550 to locate and silence the squeak, so she doesn't have to listen to me say, "but honey, you told me I just had to look at the SL63" for the next 39 months. :D

See less See more
#2 ·
good luck on the car hunt dunderhi. i'd stay away from MB due to their quality problems. one F10 squeak is minor in comparison to MB. My most recent W212 MB 350 4matics w/sport (had a 2010 and a 2011 rattled like crazy). dealer did not step up.

i had a 2011 ML350 that was was a miserable piece. after my time with several MB cars, I'm convinced that BMW is pushing ou a better vehicle. take care!

#4 · (Edited)
good luck on the car hunt dunderhi. i'd stay away from MB due to their quality problems. one F10 squeak is minor in comparison to MB. My most recent W212 MB 350 4matics w/sport (had a 2010 and a 2011 rattled like crazy). dealer did not step up.

i had a 2011 ML350 that was was a miserable piece. after my time with several MB cars, I'm convinced that BMW is pushing ou a better vehicle. take care!
That is interesting - a lot must have changed since 2008. My wife's 2008 E350 has been solid - in contract my E60 has been far from perfect.

Dunderhi - you have great taste in cars - why not look at the Audi S6/S8 :) or perhaps a nice Cayenne? You can just park your car and walk around the Silver Spring auto mall.

#3 · (Edited)
It happened I was shopping for a Z4 a month ago, there was a nicely priced january build 2011 35is at my dealers, new, with only 28 km on the clock.
It happened that I had a squeack in the back of the F11 at the time, so it was quite the right time for a car swap.
The only drawback of the presented Z4, that is still on offer, is the completely black interior; the car is a black hole.
Otherwise this Z4 is exactly right (fully) configured.
Sadly my CA has not phoned yet to make me an offer I can not refuse, so this toy, with all its impracticallity, is still sitting in the shop.
The good news is that a little silicon spray on the righthand rollerbearing of the rollo in the F11 has stopped the squeak, so my family members can still enjoy the practicallity of this car in an oasis of spacious room and silence.
This story is not fully over yet, normally I do not visit the dealer a lot, there seems no need
But being at 80.000 km it becomes time to change the brakepads around the car, so a visit to the dealer will be made before february is over.
Maybe the Mille Miglia Z4 will still be standing in the showroom in all its tempting glory, but allready two years old, there are a lot of these cars on offer at the moment, maybe the upcoming new Z4 has something to do with that?

#5 ·
Decisions...decisions.... Have fun!:)

#6 ·
My wife complains that I start shopping for the next car as soon as I've bought the current one. I told her she's wrong.

I start before that.

#10 ·
MRS D like the SL63, and the M6 - I don't think an F32 is going catch her eye like those other vehicles although the F32 is VERY NICE.

#14 ·
... we go car shopping.

So, last week I noticed an ever so minor squeak coming from somewhere just behind my left ear in the 550. I've checked my safety belt mount, the door frame, checked the plastic bits, the rubber bits, and I just can't seem to find it. After a few days Mrs Dunderhi confirmed that it actually existed and that I wasn't making it up. So the obvious next step was to think about a new car. ;)

Since we currently have two sedans in our garage we figured we might due for a change to something more utilitarian like an X5 and something less utilitarian like a Z4. Best of all, a fully loaded X5 5.0 and a Z4 35is would combine for a lower total lease payment than my current 550 loan payment. Heck, there would even be an extra $30 of equity we can cash out of the deal. Well, if it lowers the monthly payments, then Mrs. D is all for it, so she said let's go car shopping.

I recommended we start with the competition, as we enjoyed our previous MB SL & GL. At the MB dealer, I started to check out the SLK and it wasn't even 30 seconds before a CA swooped down to start telling me about obvious factoids, like "it has a folding hard top". Geez give me a break! After a few minutes, Mrs D grew weary of the CA and ventured off on her own. I'm a bit more tolerant and let him hover over me as I checked the car out. When I was done with the SLK, I decided to check out the SL550. Mrs D intercepted me and declared that there was a car that I really needed to see. I told her I really wanted to check out the SL550 that I had in my sights. She followed me to the SL, but she kept saying that there was something I really needed to see. Well after I got done with my thorough inspection, I indulged Mrs D and followed her over to a diamond white SL63. It had the carbon fiber tidbits, 19" front/20" rear wheels, the performance pack, and other options giving it a healthy sticker price of $168k. She has good taste in cars; luckily there wasn't an SLS vert on the showroom floor. I was sold, but she wasn't done, because she wanted me to follow her to a GL450. Although I was still drooling over the SL63, the CA started drooling in overdrive and he asked me if I wanted to buy an SL63 AND a GL? I rolled my eyes, thought to myself, well maybe, but not from you. :rolleyes:

After I had enough of the annoying CA we ventured over to the BMW dealer around the corner. I went straight to the Z4 and wouldn't you know it, Mrs D found the M6 vert and wanted me to see it right away. The M6 was very nice, but I had to remind her that she was there to check out the X5! Eventually we made our way to an X5. We met with a very helpful CA who knew his BMWs and quickly realized I knew my BMWs. We got along. After some good exchanges we ended our discussion about when we thought the ED M6s will no longer come out of allocation and a good deal can be struck. He was eager to strike a good deal ASAP, but I am hoping to be patient... well I guess it depends on whether or not I can find that squeak.

Anyway, I started the day, thinking that we can get a X5 for Mrs D a not too expensive toy for me, but now I can't decide between an SL or an M6. If only Mrs D stayed home. :rofl:

P.S. Tomorrow morning, Mrs D plans to ride in the back seat of the 550 to locate and silence the squeak, so she doesn't have to listen to me say, "but honey, you told me I just had to look at the SL63" for the next 39 months. :D
Ever consider the S5 or even the RS5? Sweet rides if you like Audi that is...:eeps:

#17 ·
Too many comments to reply to them all. I'll get a bearing check with Mrs D tonight, but I think we'll go back to Silver Spring to visit the adjacent Porsche & Audi dealers this weekend. I told her that if she steers me towards an R8 or a 911 Turbo, I'll buy it the spot. She has been warned. ;)

Anyway, I joined USAA today and I'm trying to figure out how their BMW & MB incentives work. I think I'll change my auto insurance over to them. Anyone have any issues with USAA?

#20 ·
I cross shopped the R8, F430, and the Gallardo before deciding on the 997 911 Turbo. If you can, I would highly recommend the Turbo. Best car I have ever owned, hands down. Unfortunately with 3 small kids and the role as family man, it was time to move to a more family friendly ride, but I miss my 911 every day. I told my wife that I am buying a 997.2 Turbo S on my fortieth birthday. She agreed, but it's going to be a long four year wait.

#21 · (Edited)
No love for the 458?

Too many comments to reply to them all. I'll get a bearing check with Mrs D tonight, but I think we'll go back to Silver Spring to visit the adjacent Porsche & Audi dealers this weekend. I told her that if she steers me towards an R8 or a 911 Turbo, I'll buy it the spot. She has been warned. ;)

Anyway, I joined USAA today and I'm trying to figure out how their BMW & MB incentives work. I think I'll change my auto insurance over to them. Anyone have any issues with USAA?
have you considered a used 335i xdrive that is about to end its 4 yr program :rofl: That is currently at the shop getting its 7500 oil change and free spark plugs!

#22 ·
Great taste in cars! I just had a similar experience, let's just say "the might as well's" did me in :) BMW was taking back my 550 for reliability issues and I was contemplating what to get. I drove a 650 vert and that conversation was over! I would seriously look at an M sport 650-especially the 13's with 445 hp. They sound and perform badass. I went with a loaded 650 and was totally happy for a month or two until the cold weather came. Then my wife said something so stupid, I mean brilliant, and said " you really should get a truck to drive in the winter". I literally had the speed dial for the dealer going before she finished the sentence. She said what are you doing, when I said calling the dealer- she just laughed.

Originally I was going to lease a fairly loaded leftover X5 diesel, $71k sticker, for $589 a month with about $2k out of pocket. Then I accidentally asked him if they had any ridiculous deals on a 750, to which he replied "yes". In the end I got a 750iL X drive nicely optioned for the same price. My wife said "but I thought you were getting a truck" to which I simply explained it would be an insult to not get a 750 for the same price lol.

Now I am left with a desire to do something with her ESV. Too bad BMW doesn't make a full size truck, if the X5 was a little bigger I would do it. I think I might look at the new GL. We shall see.

I really do have a problem.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but I would go for a 6 over an SL- I just don't like the look of the new car....

#24 · (Edited)
Great taste in cars!
By your post I would agree you have great taste in cars!

Then I read your footer: Escalade ESV Platinum?

Now I'm confused... ;-)

-Corey

#42 ·
Sure it will be another bimmer, D is in the midlife twilight and he knows deepdown the MB's are driven by the older guys, only for that reason he can not choose for yet another merc. :angel:

In his place I would go for the real Porsche.
And let the MRS seek it out for herself.
Talking about a X5 for being in a little bit more elevated position...
Man, that is talk for sixty plus aged folks. :tsk:

#44 ·
A nice X5 for Mrs D and a lovely Boxster S for you! That's my vote!

#46 ·
I'm seeing several suggestions for p-cars... interesting for a BMW site. At least you guys are putting your brand loyalty aside and looking out for my best interests. :rofl:

Anyway, while we were driving home tonight, I was relaying the relative monthly costs of the 650xi, M6, SL550, and SL63 when Mrs Dunderhi made a proposition. I should get a 3yr lease on a 650xi (the practical car) and since our mortgage will be paid off by the time the lease is up, as part of us celebrating the termination of the mortgage I can buy a roadster of my choosing and do a 3 week European tour with it. I asked even an SLS? She said yes even an SLS. Hmm, sounds too good to be true; what's the catch? "No catch, just if you want car payments the size of a mortgage, you should pay off the mortgage first." Sounds fair, right? So now my conscience is getting to me and I fessed up that the squeak in my 550 is easily fixed and Mrs D said she was smart enough not to let me trick her into buying a car, but she could tell it is getting time for something new. I guess I'll chalk it up to women's intuition. :thumbup:

Now let's see if I have all of the incentives straight:
1) Holiday credit - $3,500
2) Owner Loyalty - $750
3) BMW App - $700
4) BMWCCA - $1,000
5) USAA - $1,000 or ED - $6,145 (less travel expenses for a quick pick-up)

This is all before any negotiations. Maybe, I'm catching incentive fever. Someone please tell me it's still cheaper to keep my 550 for the next three years. ;)

#51 ·
I highly recommend the 650, I LOVE my car, and I came from a 550ix myself. The only thing I miss is the X drive. It's just not the same car and IAS is terribly unnatural. But the car itself it fantastic. Are you going coupe?
Now that's impressive! :drive:
GM sure does know how to make a V8! Now if only they could get the rest of the truck up to the levels of luxury as the Germans. I am desperately trying to keep myself out of a Mercedes dealer, I don't know if I can resist a new GL- if I actually see it it's all over...

#50 · (Edited)
When considering putting the money in a Porsche I would advise for a 911 Turbo S.
But I admit the yellow screensaver car has got my aproval as well.
So with either one of these I guess you will be very happy.
They are somewat pricier than the outgoing models of the Z4, but well that car is solely RWD, so not your pot of tea realy.
I am sticking to BMW, on my age that realy is the way to go.
Porsches let alone Mercs, you grow old in them very, very fast.

Of subject, but why do american women seem to be having the need of transports that can easily haul a couple of horses out of the field?
What the heck are they hauling around in their X cars, trucks and heavily motored, 5000+ pounds poor taste shouting vehicles??

My friend who owns a 650 (and a P Turbo for that matter) is going to scale down he told me last week, he is actually looking at a M5.

#52 · (Edited)
Of subject, but why do american women seem to be having the need of transports that can easily haul a couple of horses out of the field?
That is a good question, in our land of plenty and wasteful, its pretty typical for the upper class house wives to drive around in a 3 ton SUV all by herself 90% of the time. A friend of mine's wife owns a 7 seater Callidac Escalade. This is a 5500 pound SUV that gets 15 MPG. They only have one kid and he is 15 years old. When ask why she owns such a big truck, she reply that she likes to sit up high and a big truck makes her feel safer on the road. She also have to drive a car pool 1 day out of the month for her's son's swim meets. I guess that justify why she needs a 7 seater :) :) :)

#64 ·
@ milner, I do not blame you for your energy consumption.
And we are still on topic, it is about MRS D not shopping around with D and maybe been put in a truck after having driven one of the most drivable cars in the world; the BMW 3 series......
Any suffragette would argue against that I suppose.
The man in a tossable and dangerous toy and the wife in a utilitarian tank?
Oh my.

#65 ·
We did some test driving tonight.

1) X5 35d - Despite have the same motor at her 335d, the X5 proved to be a bit too heavy for the diesel. Mrs D wondered if she could put her feet through bottom of the X5 to pedal like Fred Flinstone (her words, not mine). The interior isn't as nice as my car, but it was just fine. Mrs D says that's part of the problem, it was just fine; a pleasant fine, but fine none the less. She says she expected more from a BMW SUV. The suspension was firm, but there was a bit of lean in the turns. This was an X5 without the self-leveling suspension or the adaptive suspension options. The X5 was quieter than her 335d, and overall she rates NVH as good. The brakes did their job well.

2) GL450 - It can be summed up in one word: relaxing. She found it to comfortable both as the driver and as a passenger. The interior was vault-like, even more so than the F10. The power steering was so light that I almost think if I give it a good spin, it would keep spinning on its own. She didn't like the MB seat control location on the door, but that's an MB thing. The GL felt to be about two sizes bigger than the X5. The small screen on the MB NAV system was disappointing. This truck is long range highway cruiser. This GL did lack two of the suspension options that would have helped its handling.

3) 650xi - 20 way power seats are much better than 18 way power seats. Mrs D said with power side bolsters she didn't need to hold onto the door for dear life while I was driving. The stock exhaust on the 650 sounds better than the 550, but not nearly as aggressive as my Dinan exhaust. I liked the new HUD with the speed info. The lower seating position of the 6 makes the 6 look bigger from the inside than the 5. Given my seating position, I would consider the sixer a three seater - nobody would fit behind me. Ingress and egress is much easier in the coupe versus the F10. Overall a very nice car.

So, now I'm not sure what's next for the SUV search. Mrs D suggested we wait for the wait until Baltimore or Washington autoshow. I wonder if we can find something in Sahkir Orange that might fit the bill.

#66 · (Edited)
Now I'm curious to know Mrs D's review on the Cayenne GTS. Are you planning to take one for a spin? If so, check if they have one without Servotronic. Btw the Raptor is one badass truck, I wish they made it in SUV version. I'm not a fan of diesels for sporty driving but if they made a Raptor SUV with a big honking Cummins diesel it would be a really fun adventure ride.

#72 ·
We were supposed to visit Porsche & Audi today, but the temperature is supposed to be in the 60s today, so the tandem is already on the roof of my car and we'll be heading to Maryland's Eastern shore for a ride. She asked about the X5 5.0 this morning, so I'll get her to try one of those out. I'm also thinking about Need's advice and waiting to see what the new X5 will be like.

#67 ·
The Raptor seems wide enough for holding the tandem sideways.
So easy loading and unloading and you can leave the bikes in the car all the time.
Which is probably very handy whilst you can drive to town, park the car somewhere on a large parking place and do your town center shopping by bicycle. Nice extra feature would be a distance controlable sliding ramp and automated back doors for just entering in the car on bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.