BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Car at the dealership again

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Monaco&Barbera 
#1 ·
Dropped the 750Li at Desert BMW yesterday for an array of issues. The tipping point that made me make the appointment was the Restraint Systems Fault. This is what it is currently in for...

Restraint Systems Fault - Passenger side Seat Pad sensor? I think is what the tech said needs replacement.

Excessive Oil consumption - Oil at minimum 2 months ago filled now displaying oil at minimum again. Tech is going to top off and have me monitor and keep track of exact miles to see if repairs are necessary.

I stated transmission is jerky especially in 2nd to 3rd and when changing from p-d-r. - Tech states Guibo Joint is completed worn and in need of replacement.

I also stated car will not fill up with gas - Tech states charcoal filter needs replacement and goes bad over time.

Does anyone have any experience with these items and CPO coverage? Tech stated he expected Restraint systems to be covered, if the oil consumption is proved to be excessive they will repair. Guibo he also expected to be covered. Its the charcoal filter that I am concerned about.. Reading other posts on the forum led me to believe it is a wear and tear item that is $750 to replace? Is that correct?

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought a charcoal filter a month ago. Want to say it was around 225 bucks or so. The dealer matched the price from the South Atlanta BMW website. Have not had a chance to replace it. There is a DIY on it on this site. Does not look all that hard to do. Just have not gotten the time yet. Good luck with all your stuff. I hope most of your needed work is covered under a warrantee. Plan to take mine in for some tranny issues soon. Hopefully the carchex warrantee will cover anything major. Good luck.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#3 ·
I bought a charcoal filter a month ago. Want to say it was around 225 bucks or so. The dealer matched the price from the South Atlanta BMW website. Have not had a chance to replace it. There is a DIY on it on this site. Does not look all that hard to do. Just have not gotten the time yet. Good luck with all your stuff. I hope most of your needed work is covered under a warrantee. Plan to take mine in for some tranny issues soon. Hopefully the carchex warrantee will cover anything major. Good luck.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Thanks I will definitely look more into the DIY and pricing. Keep me updated if you get yours installed. Hopefully will be covered by my CPO extension wrap I purchased last January. Will find out soon enough! :eeps:

#4 ·
All of the items should be covered by CPO that you listed. The oil consumption issue is a hit or a miss. Some dealers have replaced a ton of stuff on F01/02's that go through more than a quart every 1000 Miles. However, anything less than 1 quart per 1000 miles won't be looked at.

#5 · (Edited)
Restraint systems was covered

Oil consumption they will monitor further and will cover if a quart every 800 miles is being used.

They will not cover the Guibo joint.. this is where I need help finding out why some dealerships will cover under CPO and others wont???

#7 ·
speak to the service manager and have him in the car while you drive. Show them the harsh 2-1 downshift. I recommend putting in S mode so you can get the car to give you that "I've just been rear ended" feeling. I did this with the service Manager at my local dealership and he was surprised when the downshift occured and looked back to see if I actually got rear ended. After this and all the numerous services to the transmission my warranty company authorized the replacement of the complete transmission.

Replacement of the Guibo Joint will only mask your symptoms for a bit before they start getting worse over time. Most folks end up doing new seals in the transmission along with new fluid & pan for a vast improvement.

#8 ·
Thank you I will keep on them about this. This is what I found about coverage of guibo thanks to this amazing website. This is from an actual tech. So I asked to speak to the tech directly in front of the service advisor. I asked him is it separating or deteriorating and he said absolutely and that he thought it should be covered by CPO.

Is the driveshaft flex disc (guibo joint) covered under the Certified Pre- Owned program?
The driveshaft flex disc (guibo joint) is covered for defects in materials or workmanship only. If the rubber portion of the flex disc is cracked or torn, this is considered wear and tear and is not covered under the Certified Pre-Owned program. In addition, any repair that is required as a result of consequential damage from a non-covered component or condition is also not covered under the Certified Pre- Owned program.
The only exception is SI B 26 01 06: Applicable E65/E66 vehicles may exhibit a deterioration or separation of the rubber in the universal joint located between the transmission and drive shaft assembly. The vehicles and the repair outlined in this SIB are covered under the Certified Pre-Owned program.

#9 ·
*Update* Car is back at the dealership. The car was shifting so hard from 2nd to third and kicking. Almost felt as if I was getting rear ended. The dealership had not inspected the transmission or addressed the issue and only said I had the guibo issue. I called the general manager in service and asked if I could take him for a drive to show how bad the problem was. He said come down and set me up with the Head Tech/ shop foreman. We went on a drive and sure enough the transmission kicks hard. We go back to the dealer and he starts the paperwork for the new transmission. I just got the call that they are doing the transmission under warranty. While they have the car in and repairing the transmission they can do the guibo for only parts not labor. So $260. I will go ahead with the repair. Rear brakes are at 2mm need to get those replaced but dealer quoted $860 for rotors pads and sensor. Does anyone have a brake place they recommend in Vegas? At this point with the history what would you do with this car? How much do you all think I could realistically get on private sale? 84k No night vision, rear recline or rear refrigerator otherwise loaded.

#10 ·
lol update... two weeks after the transmission replacement my water pump went out. This car :tsk:

While it was in for the repair they did fix my angel eye bulb for free though! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.