BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

F30 Winter Mats - Going To Do The Install Myself

15K views 71 replies 21 participants last post by  Zeichen311 
#1 ·
After the recent hurricane, I'm feeling a bit more confident about my fix-it skills as I discovered a lot of new abilities like turning on a pilot light, using a lighter to light the stove, changing batteries in the LED flashlight, etc.

So I cancelled my winter mat install appointment with BMW service and am going to give it a go today. The mats are in a plastic bag with something that looks like a hangar attached to them. Going to get my tools together and prepare.

I'll report back on my progress. Any pointers appreciated.

BJ

#5 ·
:rofl: Thought of this instantly:

#9 ·
it's several order of magnitude easier to install the mats with the doors open and while the car is stationary

make sure to take pics and then post a DIY thread.
Please, I know the car needs to be stationary; I'm not stupid.

Good call on leaving the doors open; it was hard trying to put the rear mats in from the front seat, really hurting my back that way.

BJ

#7 ·
Oh, very important additional tip: The hanger is provided to ensure the mats are properly handled during shipping. It is not to be installed in the car!

#8 ·
Good lord, thank you. It's been almost an hour and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the mats in the right orientation with the hangar attached. It almost felt like there were two mats on there or something.

I'm going to remove the hangar now, should go pretty quickly from here.

EDIT: There is another hangar on the rear mats; do I remove that hangar too?

BJ

#10 ·
The only tools you need are your fingers not even a brain. Good luck
cheers
vern
PS glad you got your mind off of your dilemma.

#11 ·
I got the hangars off, but now there's this strip of rubber atop each mat with a "scissors" logo on it.

It doesn't make sense to me that I'm supposed to cut the mats in half, is that really how you do it? Cut vertically down the middle of the mat? Do the Velcro pads hold the two halves together once they're installed or something? Doesn't make sense as it would allow water to get right through that center cut. My son would have one boot on the left side and one on the right. Are they adjustable width for each passenger and thus the instruction to cut them?

BJ

#13 ·
BJ,

Make sure to use scissors with rounded edges, we don't want you to get hurt, while performing this tough assigment.
I asume you did ask your manservant to keep the door open for you correct? That might be the next skill you might want to learn: opening your own door (I know it's sounds like a lot of effort but you might find pride in it).

In any case, good to hear you are ok and in good spirit.

#19 ·
Just payin' it forward after all the help and support I received today. Note that there are different mats for each line, the ones shown are for the Luxury. Not sure if they all have the same tread pattern, I know that the Sport line mats have red trim, for example.

Just woke up from a well-deserved nap; automotive work is hard on the body.

BJ

#24 ·
After the recent hurricane, I'm feeling a bit more confident about my fix-it skills as I discovered a lot of new abilities like turning on a pilot light, using a lighter to light the stove, changing batteries in the LED flashlight, etc.

So I cancelled my winter mat install appointment with BMW service and am going to give it a go today. The mats are in a plastic bag with something that looks like a hangar attached to them. Going to get my tools together and prepare.

I'll report back on my progress. Any pointers appreciated.

BJ
LMAO. BJ classic what can I say.:rofl:

#30 ·
Can you tell any difference in performance with the new mats? The additional grip will be nice but I'm worried about the extra weight.

Also the part you cut off is actually the scissor storage cubby. You know, in case the trophy wife wants to do any scrapbooking while riding through the countryside.

#34 ·
Can you tell any difference in performance with the new mats? The additional grip will be nice but I'm worried about the extra weight.
There's definitely an extra 1-2 pounds of sprung weight vs. the E90 mats. The N20 engine won't feel a thing. Worried about the N55 as it is very sensitive to increased weight.

Those mats are beauts, way too nice to be directly exposed to the dirt of winter. Fortunately BMW makes covers for those winter mats. They're carpeted, luxurious and look just like the originals.
If you can give me a link to the BMW carpeted winter mat covers I'd appreciate it. I don't want to see the rubbers get ruined either.

will those mats void your warranty?
I asked my SA that question specifically and was told that so long as I do a clean un-install before returning the car I'll be in no danger of this mod voiding the warranty. I've documented this conversation and placed it in the leatherette owners manual folio for future reference.

BJ

#31 ·
Those mats are beauts, way too nice to be directly exposed to the dirt of winter. Fortunately BMW makes covers for those winter mats. They're carpeted, luxurious and look just like the originals.

#66 ·
Good news on the mats:

Whatever was making my Nike's slip is gone after 48 hours. Might be some light coating they put on them for shipping purposes, might be that they got wet for the first time in the rain.

Either way, the slippery issue is no more.

BJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.