BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E39 exhasut setup

7K views 66 replies 26 participants last post by  G-Moussa 
#1 · (Edited)
anyone have a picture of a 2003 530i stock exhasut. or diagram. i need to see if its all single pipe or dual. the part im concerned about is if the pipe before th y resinator and the resinator behind that.

i am going to be doing an exhasut cutoff valve. with a switch inside the cabin so i can adjust the exhasut from straight pipe to a normal magnaflow 14816 with a nice tone. some of you might not like this, but i think it would be an amazing idea and if i pull this off allot of people will be doing it. its realy simple and cheap btw. wont even cost 300 dollars. il post pictures to show you guys how to do it and where i got the parts from. but i need to confirm the piping first. so someone please help me.

#3 ·
to have a normal sounding car and when ever want to be loud you can at the flip of a switch. just trying something new. dont need people going off on me. worst case senario it sounds like **** and i return it... nothing to lose but a couple of dollars.

#8 ·
This is not against anyone but please dont make your 6 cylinder super loud and sound like crap. Then I will be foreced to do what I do to most rice cars, Pull up next to them and take a picture of them while im pointing my finger and laughing hysterically.

#10 ·
I don't understand... Do u guys not get the fact that its adjustable... I just want it loud when it wide open but I'm not gonna ride it with wide open. I love how u 540 guys think 530s are turtles and 540s are rockets... No offense but the diff is like 50 HP... Not 200... So stop please.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App

#13 · (Edited)
Get a Billy Boat exhaust and you can be loud without being accused of being a ricer.:)

I am only half joking. The BB exhausts are known for being mellow until you floor it and wind the engine out. I had one on my E34 Touring for a while and it was fun in the right setting. Unfortunately, it did drone at highway speeds and I have duties to schlep my kids around so the BB had to go. Before I removed it, there was one beautiful summer day when a woman on her cell phone was holding up a long line of traffic on a country road near my home. She was doing 30-35 in a 50 mph zone for about 10 miles without paying attention to the traffic building up behind her. The startled look on her face when I legally passed her at full throttle was worth every penny. I could see your idea about an exhaust cut-out serving the same purpose.

#15 ·
Ya thats the one im buying. QTP is the best one out there from what i know. ^ do you have one or know anything about them? im going to buy it this weekend for sure. To be honest with you guys the only reason im not removing the resinator and keeping the magnaflow on is because i dont want my parents complaining about how ghetto and loud my car is. they already do that and its just a little louder than stock lol.

#18 ·
Only 50hp? I didnt know the 6 made almost 250hp.

Whats the diff in torque?

On a side note, unusual amount of New Jersey peeple on this thread tonight.

#19 ·
530i note

Hey Mike,

mate it's your money and your car so just go for it, you sound like a young fella and we all did those sort of things to our cars when we were young.

Maybe a few will think it's sacrilege, and that's ok too:)

But for mine there is nothing like the sound of a duel exhaust V8:thumbup:

When I was in my early 20's I had a Holden (think small chevy) which had a small 4.2litre (253ci) V8 with the sweetest sounding duel exhaust and there was nothing I enjoyed more than cruising through Sydney CBD with my elbow out the window listening to the note bounce off the buildings:D

You ever thought about trading up, 540i's are so cheap over in the US.

Regards

Gibo

#23 ·
I'm having a guy weld it and I'm doing the wiring. So how hard was it? How did u get the wires into the cab. And how long did it take u to wire it. How has the product lasted. Have you have any problems with it. And how long have you had it. Sorry for all the questions just really want to know what I'm buying

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App

#21 ·
I always think of trading up to a 540. but i have too much stuff into my car to let it go. OEM Style 65s and OEM front M5 bumper and just intalled an OEM M5 rear bumper. Its not that big of a diff for me from a 530 to a 540 considering my car looks 10x better and is in better condition than any 540i i have seen for sale. I do plan on one day buying another e39 but its not going to be anything other than an M5 thats for sure. And who ever said the 0-60 time between 540 and 530 is 2 seconds... i never knew 540s broke into the 4s... its barly 1 seconds man lol. go do some research.

#24 ·
I ... And who ever said the 0-60 time between 540 and 530 is 2 seconds... i never knew 540s broke into the 4s... its barly 1 seconds man lol. go do some research.
It was me. I was using the same calculator you used when you said 530 is less than 50HP less than a 540.

2003 540 = 290HP 324ftlb Torque
530 = 225HP 214ftlb
--------------------------------
diff = 65HP 110ftlb Torque

2003 540i6 = 5.6s 0-60mph
530ia = 7.5s 0-60mph
---------------------------------
diff = 1.9s

I'm not trying to diss the 530, I owned a 528iA for four years. Going to 530 only upped the torque by 10 ftlbs. Enjoy your ride, nobody criticized it (except for adding a fake loud pedal!)

dave
03 540i6

#25 ·
ok man my 530i isnt as fast as your 540 we all know that but does that mean everything i add to it make it fake? how? and how do you know it wont sound good? untill i do it you cant make that assumption. so can you guys f*ckin help me get the info to complete this? if not the f*ck off i dont want to hear about how stupid it will sound. i just turned 19 so do you think i listen to peoples advise?

#30 ·
I think you should stop now cuz im sick of u... no M stuff on my car is off of ebay. its all OEM il take pics off all the badges to prove it to ur dumb ass. by the way this M **** on my car is worth more than you little prehistoric 540...

Stop hattin bro.

#29 ·
You should think about the fact that people may have modified a 6 cylinder exhaust in the past, and are trying to offer the advice on how it sounds.

BMW 6 cylinders just generally don’t sound good when they’re uncorked. Just look up any E46 M3 straight pipe video. Raspy.

If you don’t want advice, go and learn the hard way like we all did. Figure out the wiring, welding, fitment, and reliability on your own, and when you have spent all that time and money with a result you aren’t happy with, you’ll wish you had listened to common sense and advice.

#31 ·
You should think about the fact that people may have modified a 6 cylinder exhaust in the past, and are trying to offer the advice on how it sounds.

BMW 6 cylinders just generally don't sound good when they're uncorked. Just look up any E46 M3 straight pipe video. Raspy.

If you don't want advice, go and learn the hard way like we all did. Figure out the wiring, welding, fitment, and reliability on your own, and when you have spent all that time and money with a result you aren't happy with, you'll wish you had listened to common sense and advice.
i understand what you are trying to say, but diff people have diff tastes. for example i might be diffrent from the rest of you guys.

To most of you guys this sounds nice. To me its sounds like a piece of sh*t v8 mustang and i cant stand that ****.

This to me sounds good. to you guys it may sound stupid but this is my taste.

Thank you guys for the advise.

#32 ·
I put one of these on my E34 525i, and it sounded great actually. I brought it to euroworks in Minneapolis and got a lot of compliments. I didn't do any of the wiring so I can't help you there, but it shouldn't be too hard if you have basic electrical skills. I'm also going to be putting one on my 76 2002, and this weekend I'm going to be cutting off the Borla muffler on my E39 and leaving it open with just cats for awhile. I'm really surprised by all of these unsupportive people on this forum, especially because they always say that they're "helpful". I am also 19 so to everyone that automatically discredits me, but seriously guys.. be more mature. It's not your car, it's his and he can do whatever the f*** he wants to it.

#35 ·
that 540i above sounds like a muscular V8 with a bit of German refinement.

That 530i 6 cylinder sounds like an early 90s Grand Prix that had a muffler rust out and fall off back in the winter of '98.

I think the ideal way to settle this is to simply make a poll, and let everyone else decide.

It's your car, do what you want, if you think it sounds good, go for it.

#39 ·
Whats the big deal. Its his car and his choice. Doesn't matter if he is 19 years old or if he is 15. If he has the money and that is what he wants to do, let him go for it. No one is better than anyone on this forum; the intent of this forum is to share ideas and thoughts and get help WHEN NEEDED... If someone doesn't have help to give then don't give it. Everyone has different views and has their e39 for different reasons. One thing we all share in common is that we love the e39. Some criticism is ok, but bringing a person down over an exhaust is not really needed and there is no needed to knock each other back and forth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.