BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Worth buying a used m5?

13K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  cjwheeling 
#1 ·
Always wanted to get an m5 but don't really want to spend 90 grand on a car, i am wondering if it's worth getting a 2006-2007 m5 since they aren't certified preowned. Any advice would be appreciated thank you.

#8 ·
Amazing how the prices dropped for the 2006 model year. It's very tempting to pick one up, maybe from someone on M5board.
Although some good lease deals can be had on new ones as well.

#9 ·
If I was to buy a used M5, I would look on the M5board.com. Check out the member, look over his history of posts and see what has been done to and with the car.

No where else and no other time in history could information like this be had.

#21 ·
Since you work for them, can you tell us what 'efficiency dynamics' will mean to the MY09 M5?? I've seen the press releases but none of them go in depth....I'm also guessing the whole "twin turbo" thing for MY09 was all false. the option/price sheet said nothing to this or anything about the efficient dynamics.

#19 ·
Tribeca, E60 M5 has naturally aspirated V-10, no supercharger.... not yet.

5.0-liter, V-10 engine, 500 hp
High performance from high-speed engines: that's the philosophy of BMW M. This compact, high-revving, V-10 power unit develops enormous thrust and muscle that's always on tap. At 5.0 liters of displacement and 500 horsepower, the V-10 produces 100 horsepower per liter - a remarkable feat for a naturally aspirated production engine. And its power-to-weight ratio of one horsepower per each eight pounds is a figure more representative of a racecar than one you'd have in your driveway.
quoted the post about the SC car.

#15 ·
Correct, they will not CPO or extend warranty/maintenance on any 2006 and up M5. I am not sure if the reason has been brought up here before.

#17 ·
How has the supercharger been on the car? High-maintenance? It's such a nice car. I'm getting sick of finding parking with my 7 series. I guess it serves me right for being a 'real' new yorker and driving a 7. I just love the drive out to long island during the summer ;-)

#18 ·
Tribeca, E60 M5 has naturally aspirated V-10, no supercharger.... not yet.

5.0-liter, V-10 engine, 500 hp
High performance from high-speed engines: that's the philosophy of BMW M. This compact, high-revving, V-10 power unit develops enormous thrust and muscle that's always on tap. At 5.0 liters of displacement and 500 horsepower, the V-10 produces 100 horsepower per liter - a remarkable feat for a naturally aspirated production engine. And its power-to-weight ratio of one horsepower per each eight pounds is a figure more representative of a racecar than one you'd have in your driveway.

#23 ·
Efficient dynamics is a bunch of stuff like an electrical motor driven AC compressor to improve gas mileage.

Think: Prius.

The other main 09 M5 differences are new mirror design and hard disk based nav.

I am looking at an 08 M5 demo with very, very low mileage.

I would be very careful of a used M5. I would definitely search M5Board to (as the previous poster suggested) what has been done TO the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.