BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Just got smoked by a LEXUS SC430...

28K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Blk 650i 
#1 · (Edited)
...but I didn't know we were racing!

Tonight I was driving around down town minding my own business. I had the radio off and I was enjoyoing the sound of my exhaust bouncing off the various buildings.

About 100 yards ahead the light is red. This is a one way road with three lanes. In the right lane is a minivan, and in the middle lane is a "lovely" Lexus cabriolet. The top is down and an older, well dressed gentleman is alone behind the wheel. I switch from the center lane to the left most lane.

As I coasted up behind the SC in first gear around 5mph the light turned green. I had briefly considered having a bit of fun with the guy, but he didn't look like he fit in that "fast and furious" demographic. Ahead was an area I love to drive through with the windows down. It is surrounded by tall buildings on both sides and there are multiple pedways overhead; simply put the exhaust sounds godly.

Well, apparently Mr. Lexus had spotted me in his rearview mirror. He immediately gunned it and blew past me as I made my way through first gear. Going through second gear at maybe half throttle he was able to put about a car length on me in his peppy little thingy. As I shifted into third I hit the gas a bit more and pulled up nearly along side him. I was about to smile and give him a thumbs up (out of pity), but before I could he smirked, looked over his shoulder over the boot of his uber-dated cabriolet and said, "almost"!

I'm usually quick to come back, but my jaw literally dropped. As he darted over to the right lane and put on his turn signal I was barely able to mutter the word "really" which I doubt he heard. He really thought he killed an M6!

He slowed to a near stop as he was turning right. I blew past him, downshifting from third to second at about 50 mph. The exhaust barked at him, but I don't think it mattered. He still had that smug look on his face as he turned out of view.

Somewhere out there is a happy Lexus owner. If you are reading this; I will find you. Mark my words, asshole.

Anyone else had this happen?

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting story......search the Lexus boards and read about your ass whoopin' :D. I'm sure he's telling his kill story over a nice cigar...............Phil

#4 ·
:rofl::rofl: I can definately see the cigar! I actually checked the SC board over on club Lexus earlier, but so far he hasn't posted. I love your M3 by the way.

I think the phenomenon you experienced is sorta a form of road rage for power. The breif moment of victory I suppose.
I was in my M3 tonight and a ford fucus tried to prevent me from entering the freeway from an on ramp.
The M mode worked well.

When I drive my GT-R lots of vehicles want to run. It's a joke. Lot's of cars seem fast as they pound the pedal forward, but they really are not.
That's the funny thing. I get challenged by cars all the time that have no chance. It's usually either Nissan Maximas or massive diesel trucks. Nissan has really done a great job of marketing the new Maxima as a sports car.

I can't imagine the attention you get in your GTR. Those beasts are just daring anyone to try!

#3 ·
I think the phenomenon you experienced is sorta a form of road rage for power. The breif moment of victory I suppose.
I was in my M3 tonight and a ford fucus tried to prevent me from entering the freeway from an on ramp.
The M mode worked well.

When I drive my GT-R lots of vehicles want to run. It's a joke. Lot's of cars seem fast as they pound the pedal forward, but they really are not.

#5 ·

Tonight I was driving around down town minding my own business. I had the radio off and I was enjoyoing the sound of my exhaust bouncing off the various buildings.

About 100 yards ahead the light is red. This is a one way road with three lanes. In the right lane is a minivan, and in the middle lane is a "lovely" Lexus cabriolet. The top is down and an older, well dressed gentleman is alone behind the wheel. I switch from the center lane to the left most lane.

As I coasted up behind the SC in first gear around 5mph the light turned green. I had briefly considered having a bit of fun with the guy, but he didn't look like he fit in that "fast and furious" demographic. Ahead was an area I love to drive through with the windows down. It is surrounded by tall buildings on both sides and there are multiple pedways overhead; simply put the exhaust sounds godly.

Well, apparently Mr. Lexus had spotted me in his rearview mirror. He immediately gunned it and blew past me as I made my way through first gear. Going through second gear at maybe half throttle he was able to put about a car length on me in his peppy little thingy. As I shifted into third I hit the gas a bit more and pulled up nearly along side him. I was about to smile and give him a thumbs up (out of pity), but before I could he smirked, looked over his shoulder over the boot of his uber-dated cabriolet and said, "almost"!

I'm usually quick to come back, but my jaw literally dropped. As he darted over to the right lane and put on his turn signal I was barely able to mutter the word "really" which I doubt he heard. He really thought he killed an M6!

He slowed to a near stop as he was turning right. I blew past him, downshifting from third to second at about 50 mph. The exhaust barked at him, but I don't think it mattered. He still had that smug look on his face as he turned out of view.

Somewhere out there is a happy Lexus owner. If you are reading this; I will find you. Mark my words, asshole.

Does not seem unusual to me. In my experience Japanese cars often pass me in leaving a traffic light. I think they push a little harder. I chuckle.

#9 ·
:rofl: Your comments crack me up. :thumbup:

Thanks for the luv :thumbup:. Your Lexus buddy is too busy telling the kill story......just wait until the water cooler meeting tomorrow :angel:...............Phil
:rofl:

In Lexington...? All the time... With my 1997 GMC Jimmy... Not kidding...

Honestly, I don't know what it is around here; people just drive like that all the time. They're seemingly in no hurry until they think you're about to get ahead of them, then they'll drive 100 mph just to keep you from beating them to the next intersection. Then as soon as they're satisfied that they're impeding your progress, they slow back down to 10 mph under the speed limit. Go figure...

In fact, just a few days ago, I had some jag-off in a POS rice-burner occupying the right-hand lane actually speed up in an attempt to prevent me from merging onto I-64E. When I put the spurs into the ol' Jimmy and moved into the lane from the on-ramp anyway, he grudgingly (well, I'll admit, I didn't give him a lot of choice -- he was practically on my rear bumper) slid over into the empty middle lane on the interstate. The rhetorical question that immediately popped into my head: "Well, if there was space for you to move into the middle lane when I 'nudged' you into it, why didn't you just do that in the first place -- instead of speeding up -- when you saw me coming down the on-ramp with my turn signal on...?" :confused: Within a minute, I was cruising at 70-75 mph and he'd fallen back behind me so far that I could barely see him in my rearview mirror -- which told me he wasn't in any particular hurry; he was just deliberately trying to prevent me from merging onto the highway in front of him.

Puts me in mind of a similar encounter I had in Georgetown, TX a few years ago while driving my C5 convertible. I was on Texas SR-29 eastbound, just coming up to the interchange for I-35. Sitting at a light, I was fumbling for something in the passenger compartment, and heard a very loud engine rev from behind me. I glanced up in my rearview mirror only to see headlights and a grill -- all attached to one of those ridiculously-lifted, diesel-powered pickups. He revved his engine again in challenge. Somewhat annoyed, I merely accelerated normally (perhaps a bit spiritedly from his perspective) away from the light to the next intersection (it's a state law in Texas that every traffic light has to work against the previous light so traffic is impeded ;)), which was at the overpass at I-35. Mr. Pick-up was on my back bumper the entire way. Waiting again at the light, he once again began revving his engine. "This idiot really does want to race," I thought to myself.

The next plan for me was to turn left onto the access road on the other side of the overpass and merge onto I-35N. Now, my mamma didn't raise a fool; I know that some of these heavily-modified, diesel-powered pick-ups can put out some serious horsepower and torque. But they just can't engineer out physics in those things; their center-of-gravity is about 5-6 feet in the air... And my C5 has the Z51 suspension package... So I said to myself: "Hmm. I think I will give him a race -- and I'll ensure victory by exploiting the most obvious flaw in his vehicle..."

The light turned green, I gunned it all the way into the turn lane (~100 feet straight ahead from the light), and Mr. Pick-up bit hook, line, and sinker: he came charging after me without even seeing what was coming next...

I didn't even touch the brakes as I easily threw my C5 around the 90-degree turn from the overpass to the access road. Mr. Pick-up tried to follow. As I was accelerating my way along the access road toward the on-ramp for I-35N, I glanced in my rearview mirror and saw him desperately trying to negotiate that turn without either wrapping his monster truck around the light post or tipping it onto its side...

All too easy... :D

Sweet M6, by the way! I've toyed with getting one of the "M" cars, either an E46 M3, an E39 M5, or the E63 M6, but can't seem to settle on one or the other. Plus I don't have the garage space at the moment... But it's still fun to dream!
Hey Tim, great to see another Lexingtonian here on bfest. Not too many of us on here. At one point while reading your story about the truck I was sure it was going to crash!

My friend has a diesel Super Duty and he just got some tune that apparently adds 2376234 torques and he swears that he can run with me, but he's always too busy to race.

If you ever decide to move forward with the M6 purchase hit me up on here. I would be happy to let you take a look at mine.

David that story is priceless! I can't believe you let a LEXUS beat you. Wth man you are suppose to be an ambassador for the M6 not letting people think they are slow overpriced grandpa cars lmao

I have people try and race me all the time in little ricers. Its when they do something completely stupid right in front or behind of me when all the fun goes out the window and I have had this happen multiple times. Most times I just let them know how incredibly stupid they are at the red light.
Thanks Anthony! I promise I won't let you down next time. I have been looking for the guy night and day. Shouldn't be hard to spot as he's the only male SC430 driver I can ever remember seeing.:)

You gotta watch out for those ricers. Pick your battles wisely; you never know what kind of crazy mods they have under the hood.

#7 · (Edited)

In Lexington...? All the time... With my 1997 GMC Jimmy... Not kidding...

Honestly, I don't know what it is around here; people just drive like that all the time. They're seemingly in no hurry until they think you're about to get ahead of them, then they'll drive 100 mph just to keep you from beating them to the next intersection. Then as soon as they're satisfied that they're impeding your progress, they slow back down to 10 mph under the speed limit. Go figure...

In fact, just a few days ago, I had some jag-off in a POS rice-burner occupying the right-hand lane actually speed up in an attempt to prevent me from merging onto I-64E. When I put the spurs into the ol' Jimmy and moved into the lane from the on-ramp anyway, he grudgingly (well, I'll admit, I didn't give him a lot of choice -- he was practically on my rear bumper) slid over into the empty middle lane on the interstate. The rhetorical question that immediately popped into my head: "Well, if there was space for you to move into the middle lane when I 'nudged' you into it, why didn't you just do that in the first place -- instead of speeding up -- when you saw me coming down the on-ramp with my turn signal on...?" :confused: Within a minute, I was cruising at 70-75 mph and he'd fallen back behind me so far that I could barely see him in my rearview mirror -- which told me he wasn't in any particular hurry; he was just deliberately trying to prevent me from merging onto the highway in front of him.

... That's the funny thing. I get challenged by cars all the time that have no chance. It's usually either Nissan Maximas or massive diesel trucks...
Puts me in mind of a similar encounter I had in Georgetown, TX a few years ago while driving my C5 convertible. I was on Texas SR-29 eastbound, just coming up to the interchange for I-35. Sitting at a light, I was fumbling for something in the passenger compartment, and heard a very loud engine rev from behind me. I glanced up in my rearview mirror only to see headlights and a grill -- all attached to one of those ridiculously-lifted, diesel-powered pickups. He revved his engine again in challenge. Somewhat annoyed, I merely accelerated normally (perhaps a bit spiritedly from his perspective) away from the light to the next intersection (it's a state law in Texas that every traffic light has to work against the previous light so traffic is impeded ;)), which was at the overpass at I-35. Mr. Pick-up was on my back bumper the entire way. Waiting again at the light, he once again began revving his engine. "This idiot really does want to race," I thought to myself.

The next plan for me was to turn left onto the access road on the other side of the overpass and merge onto I-35N. Now, my mamma didn't raise a fool; I know that some of these heavily-modified, diesel-powered pick-ups can put out some serious horsepower and torque. But they just can't engineer out physics in those things; their center-of-gravity is about 5-6 feet in the air... And my C5 has the Z51 suspension package... So I said to myself: "Hmm. I think I will give him a race -- and I'll ensure victory by exploiting the most obvious flaw in his vehicle..."

The light turned green, I gunned it all the way into the turn lane (~100 feet straight ahead from the light), and Mr. Pick-up bit hook, line, and sinker: he came charging after me without even seeing what was coming next...

I didn't even touch the brakes as I easily threw my C5 around the 90-degree turn from the overpass to the access road. Mr. Pick-up tried to follow. As I was accelerating my way along the access road toward the on-ramp for I-35N, I glanced in my rearview mirror and saw him desperately trying to negotiate that turn without either wrapping his monster truck around the light post or tipping it onto its side...

All too easy... :D

Sweet M6, by the way! I've toyed with getting one of the "M" cars, either an E46 M3, an E39 M5, or the E63 M6, but can't seem to settle on one or the other. Plus I don't have the garage space at the moment... But it's still fun to dream!

#8 ·
David that story is priceless! I can't believe you let a LEXUS beat you. Wth man you are suppose to be an ambassador for the M6 not letting people think they are slow overpriced grandpa cars lmao

I have people try and race me all the time in little ricers. Its when they do something completely stupid right in front or behind of me when all the fun goes out the window and I have had this happen multiple times. Most times I just let them know how incredibly stupid they are at the red light.

#15 ·
LOL! Happened to all of us i suppose, back in the day I had an E46 M3 and there was this uno turbo who tried testing me on the highway! He came flying past me and as I was catching up to him I had to brake due to an idiot in front of me in the fast lane.. The uno guy must have been very happy until I saw a huge cloud of smoke come from his engine.. Let them have their moment of glory, tomorrow some other BMW is gona teach him a lessen!

#16 ·
Anthony Jackson. That is one sweet ass M6 convertible! Ive been looking for a long time, going back and forth between a convertible or a coupe. How is the noise when u have the top up ? Is the top pretty secure from break ins, etc? I have driven my 330i for damn near 4 years now, so im gonna give myself a little retirement present.

#17 ·
Thank you Sir I appreciate it.

I don't park the M6 anywhere but the office and in the Garage. If we go out somewhere to dinner or the movies we always take the Girlfriends car because I am friend of a Jackass trying to cut through the soft top.

I have Eisenmann Race exhaust so when the top id up you can tell you in a 500HP car but it isn't obnoxiously loud. With the top down it is a whole different story. The E-Race just roars right behind you and it is pretty damn loud.

#18 ·
I just joined up here, and read the lexus story. Yea similar thing happened to me with a 2010-2012 Shelby. I know these cars are way fast, and didn't know if I could take one from a dig but was pretty sure above 100 I'd leave one behind. I pulled up along side one a while back and as we left the light he laid back, then I heard that blower whine and he came blasting by me. I dropped to 2nd and wasn't hooking up yet and he let off. We played back and forth a bit but wasn't a safe road to let them loose. So I motion for him to follow me up to the interstate. I turned onto the rather long straight ramp and was a few cars ahead in the left lane, thinking we would get up on the interstate to make sure we were clear,......but noooo, he pulled the blast by me thi9ng before I even knew we were racing, and jumped about 6-8 cars ahead of me. I dropped to 2nd, again loosing traction, and as it hooked up and started pulling, I could see I was gaining on him. By the time we murged onto the interstate, I was within a couple cars of him and had that " oh yea,.." grin on my face. Then he let off, and hit the brakes. So I back off and get beside him at around 70mph, drop a gear and look at him thinking now we can do this fair. He smirked, ( probably the son of that Lexus guy, lol), and waved me off like he had already beat me. I posted the story on facebook, and within a couple days word must have got around cuz I got a friend invite from Mr. Shelby, lol. He finally admitted he knew I wasn't ready when he hit the gas but that he let off cuz he had never went that fast before. ( I would feel I have not lived if I hadn't been the far side of 180 a few times). I'm waiting a for a rematch. I'll let you know how it turns out.

#20 ·
Its a lot of fun. People testing what they have and wish they had.

#24 ·

I had a souped up Ford Lightning gunning his engine behind me, so I said let me give him a taste of a space shuttle. btw You sound like your M6 is a manual. I have a manual too, so anyway I dropped down to second at around 50 mph, with all my DSC stuffed turned off and shot off. Well, he shot off right behind me. I looked in my rear view mirror and said da&^^. But hey, his truck was really souped up. I mean it sounded like he takes it to the track and pop wheelies on take off. The reality here is you don't know what's under the hood, and that's what makes it fun. You just feel bad 'cause you are suppose to be riding around with the champion belt. I had a souped up 300 (fake bentley) try to take me. I blasted him then gave him a thumbs up so his feelings wasn't hurt. I would not do this around buildings, cars, or people though. but the thing I hate about the M6 is the lag when you first hit the gas. I want to chip it and take that off, but I am still under warranty.

#26 · (Edited)
lol thats a great story i traded my lightning for my M3 and that truck had over 700hp... No even wanted to play with that truck except bikes.. Now i find myself getting my ass handed to me by such cars as the new 5.0 mustangs,however its a little different story when u pull up to the valet, and all eyes are on your M3 no matter how slow she may be.. I have plans for my girl after the new year maybe stage 2 or 3 Dinan but for now i will take the hot chics over the trill of having the faster car on the street.. Now if i really get upset with loosing i just pull one of these girls out

:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.