BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

DSC, ABS and Brake lights illuminated?

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  tmvE39/E53/Z32 
#1 ·
My 528i has the DSC ABS and brake lights illuminated on the instrument cluster, when I park but they soon go off but turn on again when i start it, and then go off again. Could anyone tell me what this is, and how i can fix it? Please any help would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Your ABS module has failed, and needs to be repaired. While this takes place your car is usable but do know that your ABS & DSC will be inoperable until the fixed module goes back in. I'm not positive this is the problem but near certain though, please search ABS module to confirm.

#4 ·
I'm in the same boat. Dealer confirmed module. They wanted like $1,900. Part # they have on the repair order searched up for about $300. It's on my list to fix.

#6 ·
What's the deal with coding/programming the module. If we send our broken modudles to BBA or MM, do we need to have the dealer code it?

#8 ·
^ Swap the sensors. See if the code follows the sensor. If not, module. That's what the BMW dealer did on my car.

#10 ·
It's a very common problem with the E39, since the module is in the engine bay it overheats and fails. The labor shouldn't be much, if you can find an ABS/Traction control module online for cheaper go for it, I'm sure there are DIY's out there. The module is mounted on the passenger side strut tower.

#12 ·
E39's are known for having problems with the ABS module. A bad module can cause DSC lights, ABS lights, brake light, lost of speedometer, and cruise control.

This new Bosch unit will fix those dreaded problems. You can try to have yours repaired but there is only a 25% success rate. Why waste shipping costs and time when you can buy a brand new one?
http://www.eaceuroparts.com/catalog/product/426
Take a look at or site and at least check our prices.

#13 · (Edited)
I had mine rebuilt 3 weeks ago for about $100, including shipping, from BBA Reman in Pennsylvania through one of their Ebay auctions. That price has since gone up to $223 but they apparently run sales pretty often. My experience with them was great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230748266868?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I considered using these guys but have no idea how reputable they are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230765502729?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

#15 ·
I had mine rebuilt 3 weeks ago for about $100, including shipping, from BBA Reman in Pennsylvania through one of their Ebay auctions. That price has since gone up to $223 but they apparently run sales pretty often. My experience with them was great.
Are you sure Pennsylvania is correct? I'd love it if that were the case, but I only know of the Massachusetts location. If there is one in PA, do you have the address?

#16 ·
MA, not PA. I had the same "Trifecta." I hold out until they have a sale. I bought their eBay auction. Turn around time is 1 day. They received the module in the morning, I had return shipping notice end of day.

#20 ·
Put the repaired unit from BBA back in last night. So far so good on my commute this morning to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.