BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Garagistic - Now offering e24 odometer gears!

17K views 53 replies 9 participants last post by  swhill 
#1 ·
We wanted to start this thread regarding one of our small products currently out that most e24 owners seem to be intrested in. Odometer gears. They are the solution to your broken odometer/mile reading.

These are basically the gears that always go bad and the odometer/trip stops working. These go for $25 to $40 on ebay which doesnt seem right.

This include the 12 tooth gear, the 12/48 gear, and the e3 gear which is usually either 19/48 or 17/48 gear. (19/48 seems to be the most common e3 gear for e24 cars, please check yours before ordering to make sure your car has this gear!).

If you have a different third gear count let us know and we can get that to you as well.

E24 odometer gears can be purchased here (we only accept paypal payments at this time):

http://store.garagistic.com/ocart/bmw-e30-parts/e24 odometer gears

COMMON QUESTION REGARDING COMPATIBILITY: For US market e24 vdo gauges the most common third gear count is 19. (the first two gears are the same in all e24s. However there are some cars that have a different third gear count (sometimes 13 or 17). By default we send the 19 count gear. If you turn out to have the less common gear count and it doesn't work for you, let us know and we will make it right. We take care of our customers.

Instructions can be found here (these are for e30, but the process is the same)

http://garagistic.com/index.php?page=vdo-odometer-gear-repair-instructions

See less See more
#17 · (Edited)
Got a question...my '84 633 IC (VDO) has a replacement IC board, one that does not have (or need) batteries. The odometer gears are wiped...the presumably 19-tooth gear has zero teeth left, and the other two gears have numerous missing teeth. They appear to have the consistency of beeswax. My problem: the replacement board was soldered in place. I cannot remove it to remove the clear plastic cover over the odo gears, How do I change the gears without getting to them? I'm not comfortable desoldering the board, but I don't think I have much choice.

By the way, (this question is for anyone on the forum) the replacement board has a maker's (rebuilder's?) name on it, and says it's guaranteed to work for the life of the car (or words to that effect). The service interval lights have NEVER worked during my ownership (just over a year). I'd have to get the IC out to write down the name of the maker of the board. I ask if any of you have similar boards in use, and have you had any problems with them?

Sorry for hijacking your odometer gear selling thread, but I figured this is the best place for it.

I'd be tickled to death to do a write-up of the gear replacement.

#23 ·
I too got your gears and the install with the instructions was easy.. Who knew you were looking for a write up with pictures. I would have done it. Thanks for quick shipping and a kit for a decent price, you guys are great. Herman from Oregon. I ended up with the 84 633csi the guy from Sacramento advertised but would call back from someone in Medford, Oregon thought would be a quick turn around. It's a great project getting ready to paint

#31 ·
My 1984 BMW odometer and speedometer work, but it seems they won't work at the same time. My trip odometer seems to work every time. She's my first BMW and I'm doing the work myself. Do you sell the gears and are instructions included? I have a 1983 that needs some electrical work and full maintenance. It seems the odometer works fine. I broke the starter....
I'm new to the forum. Can you send any information to my email address?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.