BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Side Markers Stay On

Z4 Roadster (E85) 
5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Blackpony 
#1 ·
This is my first post. I bought this car almost four weeks ago. I've had the dealer replace the battery (under thirty day warranty) after four days of ownership. Not real happy right now.

Question: Leaving from my daughter's tonight, I noticed my two right side markers were on. I drove home and they were still on. I tried looking up information on the internet and found that on some BMWs if you hold the turn signal on for 2 seconds after removing the key, the side markers will stay on. Maybe this was done by accident, don't know. But, I can't get them off. I opened both doors and locked the car, then unlocked it, I tried to reverse the process and held the blinker in the other direction with key off then opened the door, and I turned the light switch every direction. I just can't get them off. I hope I can start the car in the morning.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Merry Christmas to all!

#6 ·
It started this morning, but markers are still on.

At your suggestion, I disconnected the neg. post for about 5 seconds and reconnected. Markers are still on. :dunno:
I believe the poster was trying to get you to do what is called a power reset. You will need to disconnect the negative terminal for 20-25 minutes to get the reset and reconnect.

#9 ·
Side Markers On

All lights work. Two lights that are on are on the passenger side: the far outside parking lamp on the front and the light just behind the rear wheel well. I refer to these as makers and do not blink. On some BMWs I understand it is these lights that are turned on by holding the turn signal in one direction for 2 seconds after the key is removed. It is a European thing to minimize battery drain when you park your car on narrow or crowded street by facing the burning lights on the road side only. This is the only relationship I can think of for these two lights being on. :dunno:

#11 ·
Have you followed the directions in the Owners Manuel to operate the left or right standing lights? [Note: The standing lamps discharge the battery. Avoid using the standing lamps for longer periods of time; otherwise, you may no longer be able to start the engine.] If a malfunction results with standing lights being "on," it may explain your previous battery problem. Also, try turning the standing lights "off" by selecting low beam on the headlight switch, ignition "on" and turn signal "off," the reverse of turning the standing lights "on." Your BMW dealer should be able to fix the lights by resetting the light control computer or trouble shoot the malfunction to the light switch, turn signal switch or lighting control module. Removing the side light bulbs will save the battery until you get to your dealer.
We picked up a Z4 on Christmas Eve and it appears some light operations have to be set by the dealer for individual preferences. Our dealer has set previous BMWs' lighting for our individual preferences.
May you have a Happy New Year with your Z4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.